Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 03:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

request for profile evavulation (army) 670 gmat low gpa

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V31
WE: Supply Chain Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
request for profile evavulation (army) 670 gmat low gpa [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 01:50
hi ,

1. i am in military with expenience of over 8.5 years as commisioned officer in logistics (apart from my training time ).
2. my gmat score is 670 q 49 v 31 .
3. my gpa is low. .... circumstance-->> due to 02 accident and long admission in my inital two consecutive training terms(graduation). i joined indian army as officer traniee at national defence academy, india soon after my school. i did my graduation while undergoing my training. ( similar to WESTPOINT in US)
4. i have varied experience while doing numerous assingment in military leadership,combat operations, logistics planning, ammunition technician.
5. my hobbies includes team games, white river rafting and other adventure activities.
6. i have organised numerous medical camps,blood donations, military career counseling and various civilian aid programs .
7. i need a program which can act a game changer for me in transforming my experience into bright career in corporate world.
8. my aim post mba is to take intensive experience in logisitics/SCM and thereafter convert to consulting.
9. i have aimed at following schools
a) INSEAD
b) ISB
c) NYU STERN
d) COLUMBIA BUSINESS SCHOOL
10. do i need to retake gmat because of my low gpa

please do recommend any thing that may come handy in my application . do recommend any other schools in US or outside.
thanks in advance
kamal

lets start again

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: request for profile evavulation (army) 670 gmat low gpa [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 15:51
Expert's post
Hi Kamal,

You mention a low GPA - how low is it?

I do think 30 more points on the GMAT would be a huge help, but how critical that is probably depends on how low that GPA is.

As for an MBA program opening the door for you to do new things with your skills ... you pretty much have it nailed. Just make sure to frame it as: "my skills WILL take me to these incredible places and make this big impact, I just need to broaden my knowledge, network, and pedigree in an MBA program and then I will be on my way." And then you simply highlight the key skills in consulting (critical thinking, teamwork, presentation, persuasion, stamina, etc.) and attribute them back to all that you have done. It sounds like you are drawing from this deep well of amazing experiences. It should be no problem to say "I will need skills A, B, C, and D. I have honed them in places X, Y, and Z." It's a formula required of all applicants but one that should be easier for you than for many.

The big question will be what your profile looks like and whether top programs will "eat" low scores. Often, they will not, even if someone has basically travelled to space and back. Sometimes you can win the day with your WE, story, and passion, but too low of numbers just keep you from getting a fair hearing. So that GPA will play a big role.

Hope that helps. Let me know...

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton