Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Booth, Kellogg, Olin All PT
WE 1: Tech/Manufacturing
WE 2: Tech/Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 19:24
janedoeill wrote:
any news?

Got ding letter from Kellogg :( *nursing my wounds* VERY disappointed..

"The distribution is fat-tailed relative to the normal distribution"
~ Eugene Fama Professor of Finance, University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 19:56
yup, got the same ding today. Looking back, the things that could have hurted are
1> concentration - entrepreneurship. extreme heavy focus on my behalf. part time does not focus on entrepreneurship. Its an evening program.
2> being independent entrepreneur.
3> already having a decent experience volume and earning potential. When I dig down my correspondences that was the first concern raised by the school about my experience and my current earning potential.
4> sector focus. The kind of work I want to do does not match with the program structure.
But, that's OK.
I think I am at an age when forcing myself into something that I do not want will not work.
I respect Kellogg's judgement and wish everyone the best.
Frankly, I am reasonably successful in what I do and decently respected by my peers so I am content.
I am moving on. I have some other schools that focus on my area.

Best wishes
Current Student

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 20:13
You will NOT believe it, but entrepreneurship was my focus too!!!!! This is getting kinda creepy!!! J/K

Entrepreneurship is what I focused on in my essays.
For one thing Kellogg doesn't really encourage a lot of prospective student contact.
I signed up for a class visit at Kellogg, but was refused subsequent class visits. Booth let me take 3!! I got to know some of the Booth admissions team REALLY well (last time I went, I was high fiving some of them .. I am annoying that way).. I also went to 3 events (open houses, networking events).. I got to meet a TON of students, alums, profs, staff...
I was drawn to Kellogg's "friendly" (*snork* generic refusal letter GEEZ [bitterness]) atmosphere.. I was actually blown away by the first class visit.. but my first booth visit was a finance class which was interesting but not as vibrant as the marketing class at Kellogg. ... until I took Art Middlebrook's class!! man oh man.. that dude ROCKS!! He was also working his magic in one of the info sessions... I started to enjoy the Booth atmosphere as well...

I'll stop rambling.........
Don't be down... there is still hope!!! BOOTH!!!

I'm curious about your startup! If you don't mind sharing what your industry is?

Good luck and good night!!

janedoeill wrote:
yup, got the same ding today. Looking back, the things that could have hurted are
1> concentration - entrepreneurship. extreme heavy focus on my behalf. part time does not focus on entrepreneurship. Its an evening program.
2> being independent entrepreneur.
3> already having a decent experience volume and earning potential. When I dig down my correspondences that was the first concern raised by the school about my experience and my current earning potential.
4> sector focus. The kind of work I want to do does not match with the program structure.
But, that's OK.
I think I am at an age when forcing myself into something that I do not want will not work.
I respect Kellogg's judgement and wish everyone the best.
Frankly, I am reasonably successful in what I do and decently respected by my peers so I am content.
I am moving on. I have some other schools that focus on my area.

Best wishes

~ Eugene Fama Professor of Finance, University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Current Student

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 20:16
I'll email the admissions officers there and see if I can score feedback!!!

Intern
Intern

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 20:53
I do not think anything creepy is there. Its just a pure matching scenario, that's all.
You have a better chance than me, from your profile. :P
Best wishes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross PT
WE 1: Operations Management
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Project Engineer
Followers: 0

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 06:42
Either of you guys interested in Ross? Ann arbor isn't too far from Chicago.
Intern
Intern

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 08:21
I cannot as I travel the whole week and cannot travel on saturday out of town. For me it is either local weekend
or the plan is out.
My choices are very limited.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 357

Kudos [?]: 1755 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 08:38
Expert's post
Hi guys,

I think an entrepreneur path is really good for Booth. I love entrepreneurial team here and Poslky Center is very helpful. Moreover, I live in downtown and take many of classes at Gleacher with weekend or evening students and I would say people here at least at the same level as full-time students or even higher. By the way, I would recommend to take Technology Strategy with Steve Kahl - very useful for entrepreneur/IT guys.

Good luck with Booth!

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Intern
Intern

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 13:55
Dear Walker,
Thanks a lot for your advice, my friend. Lets hope this works out and we all meet together.
And even if it does not work out for me, I wish you very best. May all your dream come true.
Take Care
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 357

Kudos [?]: 1755 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 14:18
Expert's post
Thanks. I hope I see you here next year!

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 16:11
alijafri80 wrote:
janedoeill wrote:
any news?

I am shocked you were dinged...

Unlike FT programs, chances are really good with 700+ at PT programs.

Not to make you feel bad, but Kellogg PT has around 40-45% admission rate AND the number of applications were down this year.

How would you rate your essays?
Intern
Intern

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 21:10
I checked my app status today at Booth - it says in committee - so probably by next week this time I will have :lol: the deja vu of this week (not that I want that the least bit).

I strongly believe what I do and want to do and what Booth does at Polsky and my background matches very well, but I may not be academically at a good spot also being self employed hurts my chances a lot......

I hope I will get a call from Booth ( I believe we get a call, right?)

Best wishes everyone.
Current Student

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 09:39
JinJJa wrote:
alijafri80 wrote:
janedoeill wrote:
any news?

I am shocked you were dinged...

Unlike FT programs, chances are really good with 700+ at PT programs.

Not to make you feel bad, but Kellogg PT has around 40-45% admission rate AND the number of applications were down this year.

How would you rate your essays?

I was shocked as well!! I was rating my chances as really good. I would say my essays were well written. I got in touch with an essay writer and showed them to a lot of people (MBAs, english majors) and got lots of feedback. I have no idea what happened.

janedoeill wrote:
I checked my app status today at Booth - it says in committee - so probably by next week this time I will have :lol: the deja vu of this week (not that I want that the least bit).

I strongly believe what I do and want to do and what Booth does at Polsky and my background matches very well, but I may not be academically at a good spot also being self employed hurts my chances a lot......

I hope I will get a call from Booth ( I believe we get a call, right?)

Best wishes everyone.

My app status was "in committee" about a couple of days after I submitted my app..
I don't know if they call!

BTW, I don't think that being self-employed is an issue, I would think they would see that in a good light.. out of curiosity what is your industry?
Best of luck and hope to see you guys this Fall.

Intern
Intern

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 06:40
Good morning! did anyone get any call from Booth?
Current Student

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 06:51
janedoeill wrote:
Good morning! did anyone get any call from Booth?

Good morning to you too!!! No, but did you?

Intern
Intern

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 06:53
Nope. No news.
Current Student

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 06:55
janedoeill wrote:
Nope. No news.

Bleh.. and I was all riled up!

Intern
Intern

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 07:37
does your status still say 'in committee'?
Current Student

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 07:44
janedoeill wrote:
does your status still say 'in committee'?

Yes. Is yours any different?

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 07:46
i am looking at the evening program at both kellogg and booth. Are they less or more competitive than the weekend program ? can one move between the weekend and evening programs?
Re: Request for some advice about Booth/Kellogg Weekend PT MBA   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2010, 07:46