Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for your valuable suggestion

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Request for your valuable suggestion [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 08:49
I am Gaurav from INDIA. I am 25 years old. My profile is as follows:

>Class 10 - 91%
>Class 12 - 92%
>Bachelors in Engineering (Electronics & Telecommunications) 4 years full time - CGPA - 9.1/10 from a reputed University in INDIA
>2 years Full time work experience in IBM INDIA PVT. LTD. as a SAP Business Intelligence Consultant
>Currently pursuing MBA in Capital Markets (2012-14) from India from a reputed B-school. CGPA for first year - 3.6/4.
>I have 4-5 corporate projects in my name, in the area of IPO, Private Equity deal, Capital Budgeting, Business strategy for SMEs, etc.

I want to pursue a Masters in Finance from abroad, with focus on following areas:

Corporate finance
Investment Banking
Mergers & Acquisition
Private Equity/ Venture Capital
Valuation
and other related subjects

Is it the right stage in my career to go for a Masters in Finance? If Yes, then how should I go about it? Kindly assist me.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Request for your valuable suggestion [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 16:04
Expert's post
With the MBA I am not sure why you need a Masters in Finance? What is your career goal? With a top MBA you can graduate and work in any of the areas you plan to study: Corporate finance/Investment Banking/Mergers & Acquisition/Private Equity/ Venture Capital/Valuation
You can contact all of the major Investment Banks if they are not coming to your school and ask to interview for a position, given reputalbe MBA and career progress.

Best of luck-

Courtney Jane
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Request for your valuable suggestion [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 21:53
Respected Sir/Mam,
Thank you for the reply.
The MBA programs in India do not have a very vast choice in terms of electives, and in my case there are no electives, it is a completely structured program. The MBA here is highly theoretical nature with minimal emphasis on practical approach and extremely poor in terms of contribution from fellow classmates, hence there is almost zero learning from peers.

Here is how I developed an interest in Investment Banking and thus felt a great need for a MS in Finance:

>While doing my MBA, I went through the subjects in Capital Markets (not in-depth as in India it is just a kind of browsing through the subjects)
>I got selected for 4-5 corporate projects (while still pursuing my MBA) in the area of investment banking. >One of the visiting faculties heads a boutique investment bank in India. He was very happy with my practical approach towards the subject, thus he offered me the opportunity to work on a live project. From there I got 4 more projects in my basket.
>Through the projects, I developed further interest, hence now I want to gain in-depth knowledge in finance subjects related to investment banking, private equity, M&A, corporate finance, etc.
> And a MS in Finance is the only program which can give me the option of choosing the electives as per my interest. (I did not/DO NOT have this option in India).
>I have a good job opportunity in India, but I am ready to forgo that if I can get quality education.

So now I want to first have some perspectives of my chances of getting into a top B-school for MS in Finance, keeping in mind, the fact that I would be already having a MBA degree by April 2014.
I am planning for Fall 2015. By that time I will have another 1.5 years of work-experience (April 2014 to August 2015) in addition to the already 2 years that I have, but this won't get highlighted in the applications since I will be dispatching those by November 2014.

I request for your view on my case, as to what are my chances and how should I go about it.

Thanks & Regards,
Gaurav Bansal.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Request for your valuable suggestion [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 08:53
Expert's post
Thank you for the added information on your case. I think you will be a strong candidate for admission to a range of programs given your background. However, since the MS in Finance is not my area of expertise (MBA admission is), my advice for how go about it are:
1- Simply start by researching the schools from the perspective of which ones have the coursework you want and recruiting from investment banks.
2- Once your have defined your list of target schools, learn all you can about each of these schools from the perspective of what they want in candidates that they admit. Compare yourself to this criteria and work to fill in any gaps that present themselves.
3- As well, talk to current students nad alumni to get perspective as to tips for gaining acceptance and to learn about fit at each school.

Best of luck-

Courtney Jane
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews