Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for your valuable suggestion

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Request for your valuable suggestion [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 08:57
I am Gaurav from INDIA. I am 25 years old. My profile is as follows:

>Class 10 - 91%
>Class 12 - 92%
>Bachelors in Engineering (Electronics & Telecommunications) 4 years full time - CGPA - 9.1/10 from a reputed University in INDIA
>2 years Full time work experience in IBM INDIA PVT. LTD. as a SAP Business Intelligence Consultant
>Currently pursuing MBA in Capital Markets (2012-14) from India from a reputed B-school. CGPA for first year - 3.6/4.
>I have 4-5 corporate projects in my name, in the area of IPO, Private Equity deal, Capital Budgeting, Business strategy for SMEs, etc.

I want to pursue a Masters in Finance from abroad, with focus on following areas:

Corporate finance
Investment Banking
Mergers & Acquisition
Private Equity/ Venture Capital
Valuation
and other related subjects

Is it the right stage in my career to go for a Masters in Finance? If Yes, then how should I go about it? Kindly assist me.
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 22

Re: Request for your valuable suggestion [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 09:35
Hey Gaurav from INDIA - thanks for the question.

Your previous academics look strong and though you didn't share your GMAT score we assume you did fine on it. The tricky part is, why do you need to go do a MFin if you're currently doing the MBA? We understand that the course of study is different, and that an international education would be a new experience for you, however some may wonder why the bouncing around to these different degree programs. Since you're only halfway through the MBA, why not make the second year all about the field you're interested in and create the specialized education in finance through your electives and concentrations?

It makes a lot less sense to go for the MFin after the MBA; the opposite is much more common. This is partly because the MFin programs typically are geared for the younger student and the MBA adcoms in the U.S. prefer more work experience - 5 years is average. Also the more standard sequence reflects the common career progression for many where they start out focused on a discipline and then work their way up to a senior leadership role - the MBA is thus more helpful later on for most people, as it is a broader study and can be tailored in specific ways.

It's possible that you could get into a good bschool in the US or Europe with this background but you'll need to explain WHY - especially if you've got the MBA already - you now need the MFin. Some adcoms may feel that you lack direction or are collecting degrees. Plus all this schooling is expensive, they may wonder about the debt that you'd be accruing.

If we look at just your profile without the MBA, then it's a common background for someone applying to any of the business schools, however not so common perhaps for MFin. Many of the MFin programs require work experience in finance; not sure if they will accept the MBA coursework in lieu of that (some might).

You probably should reach out to the MFin admissions people to see what their reactions are to your profile. Each MFin is quite different and you will need to do your research to determine which is going to be the right match in terms of their requirements and the type of student they're designed for.

Best of luck with it
EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Intern
Intern

Re: Request for your valuable suggestion [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 09:47
Respected Sir/Mam,
Thanks a lot for a detailed reply. I am yet to go for the GMAT. Only once I have some perspective on my profile being accepted for a Ms in Finance program, I will go for the exams.

The MBA programs in India do not have a very vast choice in terms of electives, and in my case there are no electives, it is a completely structured program. The MBA here is highly theoretical nature with minimal emphasis on practical approach.

Kindly advise me:

Can't I put my case in this way:

>While doing my MBA, I went through the subjects in Capital Markets (not in-depth).
>I Got selected for some corporate projects (while still pursuing my MBA) in the area of investment banking.
>Through the projects, I developed further interest, hence now I want to gain in-depth knowledge in finance subjects related to investment banking, private equity, M&A, corporate finance, etc.
> And a MS in Finance is the only program which can give me the option of choosing the electives as per my interest. (I did not have this option in India)
>Having a MBA in Capital Markets, I will be able to contribute to the classes.

Kindly advice. If the above scenario is not good enough, is there any way I can turn things around in my favor?

Thanks & Regards,
Gaurav Bansal.

Re: Request for your valuable suggestion [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 09:55
Hi Gaurav - yes your story makes sense, and there's certainly differences in the Indian MBA than what you'd learn and experience in an international bschool, so it's possible that this could work.

Had not realized that the entire two years of an Indian MBA is so prescribed though - is that standard? We're very familiar with the ISB and know that they're more modeled on the US/European bschools, and that IIM and others in India have a very different model and cater to a different cohort than bschools in the US do. Was not aware of the lack of specialization and electives, so that's good to know.

There are still some challenges of course and it's hard to say how this pitch will be received. Back to what we said earlier: You'll need to research the programs and see which ones are a fit since some would have industry experience as a pre-req. Study the websites and start reaching out to the admissions folks directly to see what the reactions are to your profile. We probably can't say much more from here since it's a more unusual case. The MFin programs are sometimes more flexible and they don't get high volumes of applications so it's possible that this could work, but we're not the right ones to be saying so - you need to get some input direct from the schools if you can.

EssaySnark

Intern
Intern

Re: Request for your valuable suggestion [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 10:07
Hi,
Yes ISB is the only college in India that provides quality education in line with foreign universities. Rest almost all other Indian MBA colleges are as per my description in the previous posts.

The entire MBA is not completely prescribed. There are different MBA programs like: MBA-Banking, MBA-HR, MBA-Capital Markets and MBA-General. The first year is 90% same in all the programs.

In the second year, MBA- General has the option of selective electives, but the choice is very very less and quality is as described before.
The other MBA programs have a structured course for both the years.

I was fortunate to get the opportunity to network with a person who is heads a boutique investment bank in India. He is a visiting faculty and taught us 'Legal aspects of Business'. He was impressed by my practical approach towards the subject. Thus, I got a chance to work on 5 LIVE corporate projects, one after the other. From there I developed a lot of interest and I really wish to take up further quality education. I have good job opportunity in India, but I am ready to forgo that if I get a chance to study more :)

I thank you for the valuable discussion, As per your advice, I will try and get in touch with the admissions department of some of the universities that I have already researched for the MS in Finance programs. Thank you :o

Thanks & Regards,
Gaurav Bansal.

Re: Request for your valuable suggestion [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 11:32
You might try running your situation past GMAT Club user MSFHQ who appears to be quite knowledgeable about different MFin programs (EssaySnark likes to think we're knowledgeable that way too, but our expertise is really the MBA). We ran into MSFHQ in the MFin forum on GMAT Club here so you could just post there and you'll likely get a response.

Intern
Intern

Re: Request for your valuable suggestion [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 11:35
Thank you for your suggestion. Yes MSFHQ is there. I have posted my case to them. Awaiting there reply, thank you for your advice and the entire discussion :-D
Re: Request for your valuable suggestion   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2013, 11:35