Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request Profile Evaluation - GMAT 710, 5 years+ at Google

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Mensa
Schools: Harvard, Kellogg, ISB
WE 1: 5.5 years at Google
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Request Profile Evaluation - GMAT 710, 5 years+ at Google [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 22:09
1) Age - 26, Gender - Male, Nationality - India

2) Unergrad Major - B. Com (H) from St. Xavier's, Kolkata, India. Score - 60% (First Class). GMAT Score - 710 (Q 48, V 40)

3) Work experience - Have been at Google India for 5 years and 4 months. One of the first 5 employees in India. Presently manage a Sales team and am responsible for ~25% of Google India's revenues. Have received 4 promotions in 5 years. Was responsible in growing the business 3 times in 4 years and the team from 5 to 100+ as of today. The youngest people manager in Google in the Asia-Pacific region.

4) Extracurriculars: Have been an avid quizzard and have participated and conducted many school, college and corporate quizzes. Run one of the most popular quizzing blogs in the country. Was the president of my school and college quizzing and debating societies. Started the quiz club in Google. Am a member of Mensa since 2002. Avid blogger.

5) Short/Long term goals: Want to remain in the online industry in India and grow it further from it's present ~8% penetration. Aim to start a business of my own after 5-6 years of experience of running various functions of a company.

6) Schools: Looking at Harvard and Kellogg (1Y) in the US and at ISB in India.

7) Recommendations: Managing Director of Google India and Head of Online Sales, Google Asia Pacific. They are both my managers and have worked very closely with me.

Any help in evaluating my profile will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15, HKU '15
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Reviews Badge
Re: Request Profile Evaluation - GMAT 710, 5 years+ at Google [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 10:28
Your GMAT score is just a tad below the current GMAT average for your schools, but you're still quite competitive given your extracurricular activities and work accomplishments. Can you translate your GPA to a 4.0 scale or a letter grade scale (A,B, B+,C etc) it will be easier for me to benchmark. Schools such as Harvard and Kellogg take a holistic approach, but they usually go for candidates that have proven track record of academic success. GMAT and undergraduate GPA is just one way of looking at your chances, albeit myopic, but here are a few possible outcomes :

If your GPA is above 3.67 or A- on a 4.0 scale - you stand a decent chance with good recommendations and essays
If your GPA is between 3.6 and 3.3 (B+)- it will be a little harder, but the rest of your application will have to be stellar in order to get in
If your GPA is between 3.3 and 3.0 (B) you chances of getting in will be really tough, given all the GMAT and GPA stars that apply to these schools.

Its a really tough crowd out there, especially if you're applying to a top 5 school, you have to outshine all the GMAT and GPA stars. Don't wan't to sound all doctor doom, but hopefully this may motivate you to strive a bit harder. Good Luck !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Request Profile Evaluation - GMAT 710, 5 years+ at Google [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 21:30
You should look into an Executive MBA.

Your GMAT is fine, well within the accepted range.

Being responsible for 25% of Google India's Revenue, that is incredible.

Just make sure if you apply for the regular MBA program to work on the essays. You're going to have to position yourself on why you need an MBA since you have been very successful so far without one. Why would you need one now?

Good luck.
Re: Request Profile Evaluation - GMAT 710, 5 years+ at Google   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2010, 21:30