Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 10:20

Right Now:

Admit Calls from McCombs  |  McDonough  |  Chicago-Booth  |  Tuck  |  Ross. || Join the chat for Live updates.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request to evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Request to evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 22:44
Hi All,

Request you to evaluate my profile and chances with the details provided below:

Name:Avik Banerjee
Nationality: Indian

Languages: English, Bengali, Hindi, French (achieved the 3rd level(B1) of proficiency as per the Alliance Francaise institute)

GMAT score: 760(99%) {Verbal: 42 (95%) and Quantitative:50 (92%)} and AWA score of 5
TOEFL score: 113
Undergraduate Qualifications: B.E in Computer Science with a GPA of 3.4/4

Certifications: 1) Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst Level 1
2) Certificate in Trade Finance by the Indian Institute of Banking and Finance,Mumbai
3) Certificate in Interest Rate Derivatives by the National Stock Exchange,India
4) Certificate in Equity Derivatives by the National Stock Exchange,India

Work Experience: 35 months (as of 24th July,2012)
Current Job Description:
1) Module leader in the technical and functional support for International Trade Finance operations of a global bank. This involves analysis of the myriad intricacies of trade finance involving trade finance instruments such as Documentary Credit, Clean Collections, Bank Guarantees and the various roles performed by banks like "Advising Bank", "Issuing Bank", "Confirming Bank", etc.
Also involved in the onboarding of a high revenue client from Kuala Lumpur for the bank.

2) Subject Matter Expert of Lean Initiative: Only member from the trading portfolio to be selected for analysis of bottlenecks and inefficiencies and devise an operation workflow to reduce costs through automation, improved efficiency and streamlining.

Extra-curricular:
1)School and College Cricket captain. Awarded for excellence in cricket in school and appeared in the daily news journals for my performances in the sport. Played the 3rd division cricket league too.
2)Soccer, Swimming, Basketball, Table Tennis.
3)Member of the NGO, CRY (Child Rights and You) that aims to improve the living conditions of under-privilege children and ensuring that they get the education that everyone deserves.

Target Business Schools:
1) Columbia
2) Wharton
3) Chicago-Booth
4) NYU Stern
5) MIT Sloan
6) Harvard

Program: Finance

Future Career Plans: Private equity and Venture Capital.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 3

Re: Request to evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 05:21
Expert's post
You definitely have a strong profile and will be able to stand out amongst a large Indian applicant pool due to your banking background and what seems to be some international exposure. I would be careful with the post MBA vision about VC/PE, since it's widely considered a very difficult if not impossible job to land right out of business school. PE/VC firms don't recruit freshly minted MBAs unless they have a background in VC/PE already. It's the classic catch 22. What you should do, is to craft a plan to get there eventually by doing something else in the short term which will set you up to be attractive to VC/PE firms down the road. This will make you appear more saavy and mature to the adcoms. They don't want to bring in students who are dead-set on PE right out of MBA program since it risks them not landing a job within 3 months after graduation, a critical metric that figures into the school's rank.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Request to evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 05:37
Hi Bryant,

Thank you for the feedback. Two follow-up questions:

1) What are some of the ways through which I could enter the VC/PE domain? I would be glad if you helped me out here,
2) Is it safe to assume that the remainder of the profile is strong enough to entertain a chance in the business schools I mentioned?

Hoping to hear from you again.
Thank you.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 3

Re: Request to evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 05:59
Expert's post
Yes--safe to assume you have a good shot with a solid vision and a well written application. As for entering PE/VC world, there is a host of good info on the web and the best source would be reaching out to people in that industry prior to school. I myself was interested in Wall Street and when i got accepted to a top 5 school, I reached out to the local Goldman Sachs office and was able to not only get an informational interview, but was also able to work there PRIOR to b-school, which ultimately resulted in an internship during school and a full time job afterwards. This is the kind of assertiveness you will need to exhibit if you want to crack something like banking or PE/VC. Who knows'? maybe if you call on the right person, you too can get a foot int the door which could lead to an internship, etc...

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Request to evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 06:03
Hi Bryant,

I have already started speaking to some of the successful startup companies in Bangalore to get a more lucid idea of the PE world.

Your take on the approach is fantastic and I shall definitely take it forward from here.

Thank you once again.