Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 10:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Requesting a profile evaluation - applying Fall 2010

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Requesting a profile evaluation - applying Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2009, 04:29
Hi ,

I was hoping to get my profile evaluated. I'm a little worried by the fact that I fall in probably the demographic with the largest representation in B-school

- Male, 28, Indian

- GMAT: 780 (Q51,V47)

- Undergrad from India - First class with distinction. Secretary of department society. Interfaced with staff and Industry to arrange industry visits and Technical Symposia.
- MS from Top California state school, GPA 3.6. Teaching experience with commendation.

- Worked 2 years in Process engg. in lighting industry in the San Francisco Bay area. Obtained my six sigma green belt.
- 2 years in Semiconductors in LA area. Project management and technical responsibilities. Promoted after first year.
- Currently managing operations at a food manufacturing unit in India. Immediate productivity impacts. Obtained international food safety certification in 2 months of taking over. Since the factory is in a remote village have worked to improve living conditions of workers through added benefits etc..

- Extracurriculars: Avid Snowboarder. Aspiring part-time screenwriter (attended courses) and was one of 250 (out of 1500) selected to workshop conducted by a respected filmmaker. I've submitted a short film to the committee and hope it will get picked to be made.

- Post MBA Long Term: Strategy/Management in consumer goods/media.
- Post MBA Short term: Mgt Cons. (Preferred city Chicago, Boston, NY or India)

- Considering HBS, Kellogg, Booth and Stern in R1.

Am I being naively optimistic? Should I pursue avenues to differentiate myself from the applicant pool more?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Requesting a profile evaluation - applying Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2009, 13:04
Deepauk,

You will stand out a fair amount from the "Male Indian IT" category because of your GMAT score, your return to India (and apparent industry switch), your social impact story in the remote village, and the screenwriting. With the exception of the industry switch these are all positive differentiators. That is, schools may be intrigued about why you returned to India, which may be a story in itself (or not). Your career progression seems on the surface to be unfocused, however, which may be a problem.

HBS does not seem realistic to me, but Kellogg, Booth, and Stern may be doable. Depends on how you handle the questions I raised above and the quality/depth of your leadership stories.

Hope this helps,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: Requesting a profile evaluation - applying Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2009, 19:17
Paul,
With regard to my career progression - the first two jobs are in the technology industry. While the first was on the manufacturing side, the other position was closer to the design side. I was a prospective applicant to the class of '11 when the opportunity in India came through the family business. I took it because it gave me the opportunity to evaluate my readiness and deficiencies prior to my MBA and to evaluate Work culture in India as opposed to the U.S. I realize that I have string these together carefully in my essays. Thanks for the insight and links!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Requesting a profile evaluation - applying Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 18:09