Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 17:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Requesting a profile evaluation . Thank you :)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Requesting a profile evaluation . Thank you :) [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 05:55
Hello There ,

I'm a bit worried about my profile as I dont really have a good academics (just avg. or so ) . Below is my resume (atleast the details) :

Below are my academic records :
10th under C.B.S.E (India) - 72%
12th under State Board (Tamil Nadu , India) - 75%
B.Com (Accounting and Finance) from R.M.K.Vivekananda college - 62.1% (GPA 6.21 on 10) Kinda low I guess
Certified Investment analyst pro by National Stock Exchange of India
Other online courses :
Competitive stratergy , computational Investing , Mathamatical Finance , Social psychology , Microeconomics (From coursera.org) (do these carry any kind of value?)

Experience :
7months worked in general accounting dept.
Appointed as the point of contact for a team of 9 for testing the functionality of oracle R12.

7months experience in Iron and Steel Trading firm . (Own firm)
1year experience as Business analyst.

Extra caricular activities :
Social service for over 1 year for a Charitable trust .

GMAT - 650 .
TOEFL - 110 .

Planning on going for the top 20(i think i am trying to over reach) . Kindly evaluate and let me know if there is a way I can cover the low graduation scores.or should I wait for one more year get some more experience and then apply ? And as I am from India , the cost would be super high , so I wanted to know if a part time MBA would give me the same career opportunities as a full time mba ?

Disclosure : I was actually kicked out of my school in my 11th year cause of not studying well and I've learnt alot from it but I'm not sure if i should state it in my application .

Thanking ,

Fudge
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Requesting a profile evaluation . Thank you :) [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 22:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey Fudge,
So first of all, don't worry about that "being kicked out of school" thing in your 11th year. It's high school, and it no longer matters.

Second, you are I'm afraid, probably right about overreaching. I mean the average GMAT and the average GPA of admitted students to Top 20 programs are quite a bit above what you have, so unless you have some ace up your sleeve (like is your dad a State Minister? ;) ) they are going to be far stretches.

Anyhow, actually the solution to all this is easy, because you really lack the work experience to apply to B-school anyhow. With 1 year and seven months, you are very much on the short end of things. So my suggestion: work another year, retake your GMAT (aiming for 700+) and let's see what we can do next year.

What do you think?

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Requesting a profile evaluation . Thank you :) [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 23:28
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey Fudge,
So first of all, don't worry about that "being kicked out of school" thing in your 11th year. It's high school, and it no longer matters.

Second, you are I'm afraid, probably right about overreaching. I mean the average GMAT and the average GPA of admitted students to Top 20 programs are quite a bit above what you have, so unless you have some ace up your sleeve (like is your dad a State Minister? ;) ) they are going to be far stretches.

Anyhow, actually the solution to all this is easy, because you really lack the work experience to apply to B-school anyhow. With 1 year and seven months, you are very much on the short end of things. So my suggestion: work another year, retake your GMAT (aiming for 700+) and let's see what we can do next year.

What do you think?

Well I was thinking about the same thing and yes , I will prolly work for one more year or so .
I was wondering if I get a teaching job in a NGO which spreads education throughout the country would that make it kinda "unique" ? And if i do a correspondence degree in economics or something would it add value ?

I'l prolly take the gmat again and get the work exp. but after that do you think i would have a good chance to get in ?

Worried ,

Fudge
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 535 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Requesting a profile evaluation . Thank you :) [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 23:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sure you can get in! But the question will be WHERE??? :)

But don't worry about that just yet.. instead think: how can I best improve my candidacy?
1. Super GMAT
2. Amazing success in work

These are the two most important. Adding more volunteer work is a great addition too, although if you are looking for something, and can find something more unique than teaching it would be great (just because about every Indian candidate has taught as their volunteer work). For volunteer work in general three things count: 1. Its fame 2. the leadership you would have 3. the uniqueness.

Once you get all the above done, let's talk again say next May/June with your new amazing GMAT score (!!!!!!!) and then we will worry about where and how.

Good luck!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Requesting a profile evaluation . Thank you :) [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 23:44
JonAdmissionado wrote:

But don't worry about that just yet.. instead think: how can I best improve my candidacy?
1. Super GMAT

These are the two most important. Adding more volunteer work is a great addition too, although if you are looking for something, and can find something more unique than teaching it would be great (just because about every Indian candidate has taught as their volunteer work). For volunteer work in general three things count: 1. It's fame 2. the leadership you would have 3. the uniqueness.

Once you get all the above done, let's talk again say next May/June with your new amazing GMAT score (!!!!!!!) and then we will worry about where and how.

Good luck!

Thank you for your time and expertise Jon !!

I shall take my GMAT again and see you again next year :)

Thanking ,

Fudge
Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Requesting a profile evaluation . Thank you :) [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 21:03
Expert's post
Fudge wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:

1. Super GMAT

These are the two most important. Adding more volunteer work is a great addition too, although if you are looking for something, and can find something more unique than teaching it would be great (just because about every Indian candidate has taught as their volunteer work). For volunteer work in general three things count: 1. It's fame 2. the leadership you would have 3. the uniqueness.

Good luck!

Thanking ,

Fudge

Great! Look forward to hearing from you.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Requesting a profile evaluation . Thank you :) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 00:10
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Fudge wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:

1. Super GMAT

Good luck!

Thanking ,

Fudge

Great! Look forward to hearing from you.

Oh there is this one tiny last thing I wanted to know is that , does the company I worked in matter ? Like I've been working for a kinda small company and was wondering if would that also be a factor contributing to my chances ?

Regards,

Fudge
Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Requesting a profile evaluation . Thank you :) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2013, 21:29
Expert's post
Everything matters!

In general, if you come from a big and well-known company you get some bonus points, although there's nothing wrong with coming from small firms or a startup.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com