Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 21:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Requesting Evaluation for 2014 Matriculation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Requesting Evaluation for 2014 Matriculation [#permalink] New post 26 May 2012, 20:12
Hello Brian and mbaMission,

I was doing some research earlier on the reputable Consultants so hopefully we'll get to speak in the near future! Here is a little about me (are you ready?.... ok):

Currently 26 (28 in Sept. 2014)
Asian-American Male from extremely lower income Bronx, NY family.
Graduated UT at age 23 - Austin with an Economics degree, 2.64 uGPA (downward slope)
Taking Finance (got an A), Calculus, and either Econ/Accounting also at UT Austin to build an alt. transcript.
Briefly worked at Northwestern Mutual Financial as a Financial Advisor.
Decided I wanted to get more into the backbone of investing and moved to a popular Equities Trading firm for 18 months. I loved the work here but due to the inconsistent pay it was extremely difficult for me at age 24. I decided to take an offer from Apple in one of their international sales department. Because it was such a new program, I was able to be in a very start-up like atmosphere along with exciting and hands-on opportunities and, at the same time, receive their great corporate training on leadership, communication, and other values important to the company. It's been a great experience and has given me so many soft-skills that will forever influence the way I view the world, my work, and myself, but....

I love the financial markets and coupled with the great training of an MBA education, I can make a meaningful impact on my own life and do what I love. My target, perhaps my "reach" schools, programs include Cornell, Texas, NYU, and Texas A&M. I would also gladly accept any invite from Rice and UT Dallas (my safety program based on some of my peers' experiences).

If it helps, I was a very active member of my college fraternity and immediately joined the National Council upon graduation. Now I'm President (finishing out my first year). This included plenty of service hours every year even after graduation. Furthermore, I've been asked to lead another popular organization related to my alma mater.

I know that there are holes in my story but I'm confident that I can communicate a consistent message of who I am... within the office, my community, and home. I will also do my thorough research on finding the right consultant to help me deliver my message. Thank you for reading this lengthy post (I promise I didn't mean it to be this long)!

Don't let a low GPA destroy your dreams of a business education.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Requesting Evaluation for 2014 Matriculation [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 04:16
Expert's post
Hello jxatrillion, thanks for your question.

You do have an interesting story, and I’m bullish you can connect the dots in a cohesive way so that the admissions committee can see the arc from your past to present to future.

I think your GPA is a potential challenge. Was there an extraordinary circumstance that caused your low marks? Did your GPA rise as you progressed through undergrad? If so, you might try to explain these factors in the optional essay. Better yet, do you have any other analogue that is a better representation of your academic ability and potential? Programs will want to know that you can handle the material.

Your extracurricular activities could be an asset, to the degree that you can demonstrate your leadership in those roles – ability to drive results, influenced others, etc.

If your research indicates a potential fit with mbaMission, feel free to sign up for a free 30-minute consultation through the links below.

Best of luck,
Brian

Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Re: Requesting Evaluation for 2014 Matriculation [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 22:18
Brian,

Thank you for your quick feedback. I'm very happy to hear that you're bullish on it. To be honest, my original post was me telling you the truth with what I want to do. I have spoken with two consulting firms already and they couldn't see it. After telling them my "alternative" career of marketing and sales strategy, they were much more willing to accept the story and to encourage me afterward.

Re: the GPA (downward slope due to certain events I wasn't prepared to deal with, father issues and first major breakup with a girlfriend of 4 years) as a potential challenge. Yes, I'm currently looking to create a 4-course alternative transcript. I feel very confident about my ability to tell my story; most people seemed intrigued with my experiences (I normally tell short stories vs. long ones with no clear message). I am, however, very insecure about my undergraduate performance.

Main question: Assuming I can get above a 700 on my GMAT in August, is it worth applying this year or should I spend another year working on my profile? I am about to sign up for that free 30-minute consultation right now. Hope to chat with you soon if you prefer to answer these questions over the phone vs. online forum. Thanks again, B!

- JXA.

Don't let a low GPA destroy your dreams of a business education.

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Requesting Evaluation for 2014 Matriculation [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 08:32
Expert's post
JXA, I just responded with a private message.

Best,
Brian

Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php