Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 23:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Requesting Profile Evaluation : GMAT 690/70 months Exp

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Requesting Profile Evaluation : GMAT 690/70 months Exp [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 06:18
Dear Experts,

Greetings! I took my GMAT yesterday and I scored a 690. . Now that I have got my GMAT score, the top question on my mind is what are my chances of getting in to my target schools ? Based on my GMAT score and profile, which schools I should be targeting? It will be great if you could evaluate my profile and enlighten me.

Kindly evaluate my candidacy as I am targeting top schools in the US. Here is a brief overview of my profile :

About myself: Indian female/28 years old / total 70 months industry experience

GMAT: 690 (Quant : 46(73%), verbal 38(83%), AWA 6.0 (91%))

GRE : Verbal : 161 Quant: 163

GPA/school: I hold a first class degree in Bachelor of Engineering (Information Technology) from the University Of Mumbai. I scored an aggregate of 61% in my bachelor’s and I am not sure how this translates to the GPA. My official college transcript specifically says that GPA is not the achievement index for the student’s academic performance in University Of Mumbai.

Target schools: Kellogg, Booth, Ross, Cornell, Tepper, Fuqua, Stern

Professional background: I am software engineer by qualification and profession. I completed by Bachelors degree in June 2004 and joined one of Asia's biggest software companies as a software developer. I worked with the same company for 5.5 years and during this period I have done many projects in which I have donned a variety of roles namely, software developer, business analyst, team leader, change management lead, tester and project manager. I have worked in multiple domains such as e-learning, finance and insurance. I have worked in the United States for close to 2 years while I was doing assignments for my company's American clients. My work has been highly commended by clients and I have been presented with certificates of appreciation in recognition of my contribution to the project.

Community Service: I was a volunteer for 1 year with a non profit organization which focuses on providing education to slum children. I worked as a mentor with a particular group that focused on mentoring teen aged slum children. The main focus of this mentor group is to keep these children focused on completing their education and help them deal with the problems they face in day to day lives due to their underprivileged socio-economic back ground.

Extra curricular Activities: At school level, I have participated in elocution, essay writing and quiz competitions and I have won numerous prizes. I have participated in such competitions at college level too but I have not won prizes. I used to be a member of the Toastmaster’s club and I have attended several sessions.

Current Status: I quit my job in August 2010 (after putting in 5.5 yrs of service) as I got engaged to get married. I am not working at present. I live in Gainesville, Florida with my husband. I spend my time pursuing my passion which is mentoring and tutoring children at non profits in Gainesville.

Area of interest: I am interested in pursuing a MBA in Finance

Kindly let me know what are my chances at my target schools.

Thanks a lot for all the help in advance !
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Requesting Profile Evaluation : GMAT 690/70 months Exp [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 10:41
Here's the thing. The fact that you're not working (and raising kids) will be a concern to the adcom. It's politically incorrect for them to ever say that out loud, but privately that is what will be a big concern: if you sacrificed your career already for your husband (and to become unemployed in the process to be with him), it doesn't give them confidence that you will be career focused post-MBA. Yes, there is a bit of hypocrisy here on their part because in real life just about everyone (especially adcoms who may be a bit older) acknowledges that you need to balance personal life and career (and oftentimes in real life most of us do have to make compromises in our career for our personal lives - some just do it sooner than later), but for the purposes of the b-school application the ones who are 110% career focused (men or women) are the ones that have a big advantage.

So this will be a concern no matter which school you apply to, and it's going to be hard to explain away your circumstance. Also, it's not just adcoms that will be concerned, but post-MBA employers as well since so many of the kinds of jobs you get out of b-school require you to put your job above anything else.

On top of that, you are heavier on the experience side and your GMAT is skirting the bottom of the middle 80% for schools like Kellogg and Booth which will be long shots (i.e. it may not be worth applying at all since you're up against too many other applicants that the adcoms will prefer).

Schools like Ross, Cornell, Fuqua, and Stern are stretches: you may want to narrow that down to 1-2 schools.

Schools like Tepper, Texas, Georgetown, USC, etc. are sweet spots. These are the range of schools you should be focusing on.

And with this in mind you should also retake the GMAT and try and get a 700+ score.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Requesting Profile Evaluation : GMAT 690/70 months Exp   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2011, 10:41