Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Required to survive or Required for survival

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Required to survive or Required for survival [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 22:06
Which sounds better? Does my question even make sense?

Thanks in advance.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Required to survive or Required for survival [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 22:15
helpmeongmat wrote:
Which sounds better? Does my question even make sense?

Thanks in advance.

depends...

require is a directive verb. when it is not followed by that, it is in the infinitive.

require that
required to survive

these books are required for school
This is required of me.
required for is also correct. it depends on the context. the correct answer may lie elsewhere in the answer choices.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 22:31
This post received
KUDOS
166. Because of the enormous research and development expenditures required to survive in the electronics industry, an industry marked by rapid innovation and volatile demand, such firms tend to be very large.
(A) to survive
(B) of firms to survive
(C) for surviving
(D) for survival
(E) for firms’ survival

Thanks bmwhype2. The questions is pasted above. By the way, nice pic of Kristin Kreuk.
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 193 [2] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 22:47
This post received
KUDOS
helpmeongmat wrote:
166. Because of the enormous research and development expenditures required to survive in the electronics industry, an industry marked by rapid innovation and volatile demand, such firms tend to be very large.
(A) to survive
(B) of firms to survive
(C) for surviving
(D) for survival
(E) for firms’ survival

Thanks bmwhype2. The questions is pasted above. By the way, nice pic of Kristin Kreuk.

Some people think that avatar is me. lol.

Because of the enormous research and development expenditures required to survive in the electronics industry, an industry marked by rapid innovation and volatile demand, such firms tend to be very large.

an industry marked by rapid innovation and volatile demand is a summative/resumptive modifier. we can pretty much ignore it since it does not add to the meaning of this stem.

therefore we only have this to consider:
Because of the enormous research and development expenditures required to survive in the electronics industry, such firms tend to be very large.

Normally this would be correct: (note the omission of SUCH)
Because of the enormous research and development expenditures required to survive in the electronics industry, firms tend to be very large.

however, SUCH signifies to the reader that it is referring back to firms, which is not mentioned in the dependent clause.
Because of the enormous research and development expenditures required to survive in the electronics industry, such firms tend to be very large.

therefore, we need to mention firms in the dependent clause.
Because of the enormous research and development expenditures required of firms to survive in the electronics industry, such firms tend to be very large.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 22:56
got it man. thanks. haha. nice that some people think that avatar is you. must get a lot of messages. haha. appreciate the help. i've got to work on the fundamentals. i don't think the manhattan gmat book by itself was enough. do you think working with that and the SC1000 is enough? Sorry to bug. thanks. i'm just struggling and have a month left.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 22:56
this is hard!!! :evil:
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 23:08
helpmeongmat wrote:
got it man. thanks. haha. nice that some people think that avatar is you. must get a lot of messages. haha. appreciate the help. i've got to work on the fundamentals. i don't think the manhattan gmat book by itself was enough. do you think working with that and the SC1000 is enough? Sorry to bug. thanks. i'm just struggling and have a month left.

I started out with GMAT's SC book but i felt it was too hard. started from the ground up with Grammar Smart from Princeton Review. Collect about 7 sets of internet notes and combined all of them into one. Then i read all of them on my commute to and from work. then i worked on SC1000 and learned about 80% of the SC from it. it really hits home once u start applying the knowledge to answer questions. i will be going back to MGMAT's book next week.

i get about 3 to 5 messages per week.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 01:24
bmwhype2 wrote:
helpmeongmat wrote:
(A) to survive
(B) of firms to survive
(C) for surviving
(D) for survival
(E) for firms’ survival

Because of the enormous research and development expenditures required to survive in the electronics industry, an industry marked by rapid innovation and volatile demand, such firms tend to be very large.

an industry marked by rapid innovation and volatile demand is a summative/resumptive modifier. we can pretty much ignore it since it does not add to the meaning of this stem.

Because of the enormous research and development expenditures required to survive in the electronics industry, firms tend to be very large.

however, SUCH signifies to the reader that it is referring back to firms, which is not mentioned in the dependent clause.

Because of the enormous research and development expenditures required of firms to survive in the electronics industry, such firms tend to be very large.[/quote

Very Nice! (The analysis I mean :-D )
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 03:22
bmwhype2 wrote:
helpmeongmat wrote:
(A) to survive
(B) of firms to survive
(C) for surviving
(D) for survival
(E) for firms’ survival

Because of the enormous research and development expenditures required of firms to survive in the electronics industry, such firms tend to be very large.

good explaination...... I chose A... but this post cleared my doubt...

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Schools: Cambridge
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE: Accounting (Education)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Required to survive or Required for survival [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 07:16
Great explanation. I fell for A
Re: Required to survive or Required for survival   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2011, 07:16