Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reschedule GMAT???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reschedule GMAT??? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2004, 08:37
Hi everyone, this is my first post in the forum.

This is my story: I scheduled the GMAT for november 3rd, but I think I underestimated the test. I recently took a Powerprep test, and I scored 530. Now I only have a month and a half to Study and I think it’s not enough time.

My weaknesses are Reading Comprehension and the AWA section. Although I did fairly well on the Math section.

My native language is not english neither I live in the USA, so English is a little harder for me. However I scored great on the TOEFL that’s probably the reason I thought the English section in the GMAT would not be that difficult for me.

I would really appreciate if you provide me with some tips on these matters.

Should I reschedule the GMAT???? Does ETS let Grad Schools know that you have rescheduled your test day??? Are there any other inconveniences on doing it??? (besides the $50 extra I will have to pay)

I was thinking of buying the book “Answers to the Real Essay Questions“ by Arco or subscribing to ETS’s “Essay Insightâ€
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2004, 19:28
Hi,

I do not think that most MBA programs would care if you rescheduled one test date. After all, they usually use the best score when evaluating your application so they seem comfortable with the fact that students might sign up for the test more than once. However, I would not make a habit of rescheduling test dates.

I would be reluctant to reschedule primarily for the psychological effect- a fixed test date often spurs students to study harder since it represents a concrete deadline. Of course, this is not true of all students. When is the next available test date?

The TOEFL and the GMAT Verbal test different constructs. TOEFL tests basic English communication skills while the GMAT tests higher-level language skills. To some extent, basic English literacy is implicitly included in the GMAT and thus some schools accept high GMAT Verbal scores as a waiver of the TOEFL.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask Hjort.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2004, 09:35
How much prep did you do before taking the Powerprep test? If you hadn't done much, I wouldn't worry about it just yet. I took my first practice test cold and my score was too embarrassing to report! With a little bit of study it started going up.

Don't reschedule until you've done more prep. Can you manage 2-3 hours a day on weekdays and more on weekends? Give it more time until you decide. Besides, one prep test doesn't necessarily indicate how you're really doing. That first one is really just to get your feet wet.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2004, 03:21
Thank you for your answers... Hjort, you're right, I'll try to take the test on the scheduled day, after all I have time before the final week to decide rescheduling.

Well Eddie Cruiser, when I took the practice exam (530) I had finished reading Kapplan and Princeton, and had about a week doing practice questions from OG.

I recently took another practice exam a week after the other and I scored 560 ( :? well at least it's an improvement).

I do fairly well on the math section but RC and the two Essays are my weaknesses (take me a lot of time). I am trying to read a lot (business articles, summaries, etc.) to get used and read and write faster.

I still have questions:

I was thinking of buying the book “Answers to the Real Essay Questions“ by Arco or subscribing to ETS’s “Essay Insightâ€
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2004, 07:36
regarding arco book for essays,u should use that book only for some ideas but do not copy their style and format you will end up getting low score,it is better u read other books on essay writing and develop ur own style
ash
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2004, 07:54
Yeah, if you'd only done a week's worth of practice questions, a 530 isn't too surprising. Just keep at it and you'll do fine!

For CR use the strategies in your PR book. I thought they had the best approach.
  [#permalink] 20 Sep 2004, 07:54