Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 82

CAT Tests
Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 03:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (02:27) correct 27% (01:28) wrong based on 81 sessions
Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has established that a diet high in fiber, whole grains, and vegetables and low in hydrogenated or saturated fats and processed carbohydrates can help seriously overweight people lose weight quickly. Studies have also found that an epidemic of obesity is now the number one health crisis facing American high school students. Therefore, if American high schools offered as a lunch option specially prepared meals that adhere to the diet outlined by the NIH, the obesity rates of high school students would decrease significantly.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

A)Students who consume a diet high in fiber, whole grains, and vegetables and low in processed carbohydrates are slightly more likely to fall asleep during afternoon classes than those who consume a diet high in lean proteins, such as fish and chicken.
B) Obese and overweight high school students usually have obese and overweight parents.
C)Students who eat a lunch that adheres to the diet outlined by the NIH at least once a week are more likely to consume healthier foods at home.
D) Obese and overweight high school students are the least likely to choose a lunch option that adheres to the diet outlined by the NIH.
E) Many weight loss programs emphasize the importance of exercise in addition to a healthy, balanced diet.

This is also in OG 12 .. m not completly satisfied with the answer...

plz discus each choice ,and reasons behind the wrong nd out of scope choice....
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 04:12
sanjoo wrote:
Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has established that a diet high in fiber, whole grains, and vegetables and low in hydrogenated or saturated fats and processed carbohydrates can help seriously overweight people lose weight quickly. Studies have also found that an epidemic of obesity is now the number one health crisis facing American high school students. Therefore, if American high schools offered as a lunch option specially prepared meals that adhere to the diet outlined by the NIH, the obesity rates of high school students would decrease significantly.

A)Students who consume a diet high in fiber, whole grains, and vegetables and low in processed carbohydrates are slightly more likely to fall asleep during afternoon classes than those who consume a diet high in lean proteins, such as fish and chicken.
B) Obese and overweight high school students usually have obese and overweight parents.
C)Students who eat a lunch that adheres to the diet outlined by the NIH at least once a week are more likely to consume healthier foods at home.
D) Obese and overweight high school students are the least likely to choose a lunch option that adheres to the diet outlined by the NIH.
E) Many weight loss programs emphasize the importance of exercise in addition to a healthy, balanced diet.

The argument does not focus on Weight loss programs (in E), but on "overweight high school students", so A, C, E out of scope.
B and D remains. Obviously, D wins

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 06:08
sanjoo wrote:

Hi Sanjoo,

What is exactly your doubt that is not letting you believe in D?
May be i can explain.
I agree with D since the stem statement concentrates on the high school students being given a high fiber meal... which will lead to the obesity problem being solved.
But he forgets to consider "what if the students dont agree to eat the optional meal given to them..."
if they dont agree then the plan is a total failiur...
and that is why D wins..!!

I hope I am clear..

Cheers.!!!!
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 67

Re: Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 23:39
IMO C
the main focus of the question is to show that students eating as outlined by NIH, obesity rate will decrease.
How can a sentence that states, those students who decline from having outlined the food be correct answer.
I think its out scope as the conclusion states " If offered ", than how can we think that they will not accept it altogether.
We have to weaken the fact that even if they accept they are not going to decrease their obesity.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 01:45
Archit143 wrote:
IMO C
the main focus of the question is to show that students eating as outlined by NIH, obesity rate will decrease.
How can a sentence that states, those students who decline from having outlined the food be correct answer.
I think its out scope as the conclusion states " If offered ", than how can we think that they will not accept it altogether.
We have to weaken the fact that even if they accept they are not going to decrease their obesity.

c says: Students who eat a lunch that adheres to the diet outlined by the NIH at least once a week are more likely to consume healthier foods at home.
but if we take it as a consideration and negate the argument , this option doesn't seems to weaken it. Its a neutral option.
What if the obese students dont eat the meal at all ?
that is what the question is....

option D satisfies this necessity.
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 269

CAT Tests
Re: Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 03:24
aditi1903 wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
IMO C

c says: this option doesn't seems to weaken it. Its a neutral option.

+1D

@Aditi - It is not even neutral rather I think option C strengthen the conclusion or maybe Archit has something else to share.

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

VP
VP

Re: Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 09:59
@ Aditi: i dint get ur procedure of negating its nt assumption question. pls explain or share the method which can helpful to me and other readers.

@ GetGYan:
Conclusion : Therefore, if American high schools offered as a lunch option specially prepared meals that adhere to the diet outlined by the NIH, the obesity rates of high school students would decrease significantly.

Now how can an option stand if it stand to totally disagree with the conclusion; I mean the conclusion states the possibility of American accepting the NIH outline and than drawing conclusion based on it.
Scope of the argument is that the American If will accept the NIH outlined meal , than ................
How can we consider an option which totally deters the possibility of accepting the plan without giving any reason , when we have an option that says if they are accepting than they also take healthy food that can cause obesity.
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 269

CAT Tests
Re: Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 19:10
Hi Archit

Let me take a dig

The structure of conclusion is - If schools implement blah blah………………………………Then obesity decrease blah blah…

We have to weaken the conclusion by something, which states that either school won’t be able to implement or obesity will not decrease even after implementation

Now let us take both the options

C) Students who eat a lunch that adheres to the diet outlined by the NIH at least once a week are more likely to consume healthier foods at home (Now here the students are taking lunch that adheres to NIH. This means that the implementation is complete. The students who are taking these lunches are more likely to consume healthy food at home. This implies that even after eating once in the afternoon, the dietary plan of children changed in the dinner too. These children are likely to reduce their weight very efficiently. Does this weaken the conclusion or strengthen the conclusion?)

D) Obese and overweight high school students are the least likely to choose a lunch option that adheres to the diet outlined by the NIH (This option states that even after you have implemented the NIH plan there are children, mostly obese, who are least likely to choose that option. This option shows that even after the implementation the dietary plan will not change and thus the obesity will not decrease. Does this weaken the conclusion or strengthen the conclusion?)

Let me know if I am missing something.

Archit143 wrote:
@ GetGYan:
Conclusion : Therefore, if American high schools offered as a lunch option specially prepared meals that adhere to the diet outlined by the NIH, the obesity rates of high school students would decrease significantly.

Now how can an option stand if it stand to totally disagree with the conclusion; I mean the conclusion states the possibility of American accepting the NIH outline and than drawing conclusion based on it.
Scope of the argument is that the American If will accept the NIH outlined meal , than ................
How can we consider an option which totally deters the possibility of accepting the plan without giving any reason , when we have an option that says if they are accepting than they also take healthy food that can cause obesity.

Why do you think the conclusion totally disagree? Can you please elaborate?

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 07:17
Please anyone explain why B is wrong?

As I understand B says that the problem of obesity is not because of eating habits but hereditary as parents are also obese.
VP
VP

Re: Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 08:14
I understand you are thinking that out of scope answer can be correct in weaken question but there is difference between out f scope and out of context.
Out of context are wrong
when you have answer option which are dealing with the issue by limiting within the argument, i think you should focus on them rather than straying away from argument.

Another to the point explanation can be the use of word" Usually" , which means there can be many more who doesnt fall in the premise of the criteria. These are open ended words and are rarely a correct option choice indicator.

I hope that helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 10:25
Archit143 wrote:
I understand you are thinking that out of scope answer can be correct in weaken question but there is difference between out f scope and out of context.
Out of context are wrong
when you have answer option which are dealing with the issue by limiting within the argument, i think you should focus on them rather than straying away from argument.

Another to the point explanation can be the use of word" Usually" , which means there can be many more who doesnt fall in the premise of the criteria. These are open ended words and are rarely a correct option choice indicator.

I hope that helps

Conclusion says ->
if American high schools offered as a lunch option specially prepared meals that adhere to the diet outlined by the NIH, the obesity rates of high school students would decrease significantly.

Now we cannot deny the "IF" so we can only attack the part that comes later " the obesity rates of high school students would decrease significantly."
(provided the plan is implemented)

D says -> Obese and overweight high school students are the least likely to choose a lunch option that adheres to the diet outlined by the NIH.
This says even if the schools implement the prog students wont follow.

Analogy -> There are so many accidents happening at the cross road junction X in the city Y. So if we install traffic lights, accidents will reduce significantly !
Weakener - Drivers in city Y never follow/ least likely to follow traffic lights!

B has no connections to the program in any way.

this says Students who follow this diet also follow other effective diet so this help the argument, which says "the obesity rates of high school students would decrease significantly" if this diet is followed!

HTH

Cheers
VP
VP

Re: Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 12:04
hi jp
i guess you might have gone thru a weaken question type which is as follows;

Statement:
The congress is planning to ban the sell of video game for xyz reason.
As the shop keepers will deny to sale videogame to children. It is expected that plan will be succesful

Assumption and weaken statement: Parents will buy video game for their son.

Hence comparing the two examples, They eating healthier food at their home is comparable to <<< Parents buying video game for their children will make the plan to fail>>>

Hence the option choice stands to weaken the statement.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 12:52
Archit143 wrote:
hi jp
i guess you might have gone thru a weaken question type which is as follows;

Statement:
The congress is planning to ban the sell of video game for xyz reason.
As the shop keepers will deny to sale videogame to children. It is expected that plan will be succesful

Assumption and weaken statement: Parents will buy video game for their son.

Hence comparing the two examples, They eating healthier food at their home is comparable to <<< Parents buying video game for their children will make the plan to fail>>>

Hence the option choice stands to weaken the statement.

Option C and the statement you point is not the same - see the bold potion

If Option C were to read -> Students are already likely to eat healthy foods then you may have a point. but that's not wat C says.

Moreover if this Q appears on OG and OG says D is right. then we know other answers are wrong and also know they have wrong reasoning behind it! We cant argue against GMAC!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 291

Re: Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 01:30
Consider this students who are obese are already obese. It is all about decreasing the number of obese children. So let the obese children eat unhealthy food. If the incoming healthier children are offered a healthy diet the number of obese don't increase.

However, according to B if the children are genetically obese, u jus can't help them. They are gonna stay obese no matter what.
Re: Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2013, 01:30