Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 15:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Research during the past several decades on the nature of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 0

Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2004, 15:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.

(A) that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
(B) of producing and understanding it have revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(C) by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(D) by which it is produced and understood have revealed great complexity rather than underlying simplicity
(E) by which one produces and understands it have revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Research [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 03:07
IMO A. Its between A and C , as the other sentences have "have"

Now C's "not underlying simplicity but great complexity " is not correct.. should have been either not only.. but also structure.. or
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Research [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 04:14
IMO A. In B, D and E "have" is not correct, we need has. Between C and A i chose A because C looks wordy and i think that it has a structure problem.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 5

Re: SC - Research [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 08:41
I go with C.

Does the "it" in A) have a clear referrant? Is "it" referring to processes, or language?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Research [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 16:07
C please.
"HAS " is the correct form because it is talking about the Research and not the processes.
Manager
Manager

Re: SC - Research [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 16:50
Richardson wrote:
Thanks for your valuable inputs!

Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.

(A) that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
(B) of producing and understanding it have revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(C) by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(D) by which it is produced and understood have revealed great complexity rather than underlying simplicity
(E) by which one produces and understands it have revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity

OA is A. I went to C though. I thought "instead of" in option A could be incorrect. Anyone can give any great explanation on this??? THx.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Research [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 17:54
Richardson wrote:
Richardson wrote:

OA is A. I went to C though. I thought "instead of" in option A could be incorrect. Anyone can give any great explanation on this??? THx.

instead of is correct here ,x instead of y is correct idiom !!!
hence A is correct

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - Research [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 18:07
Richardson wrote:
Richardson wrote:

Where is this Q from? I really doubt the OA? It was between A & C. I ruled out A for two reasons

(1) We use instead of when we can just replace X with Y and not when we want to show contrast or superiority.

(2) As some one has already said, it does not have a clear antecedent in A. C takes care of it by changing the construct to passive voice and making it refer to language? Can we say
Research is produced? I was stuck on that for a moment, but we say Research is done.

(3) AFAIK, Not X but Y is also a correct idiom.
Manager
Manager

Re: SC - Research [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 18:12
spriya wrote:
Richardson wrote:
Richardson wrote:

hence A is correct

I know it's correct idiom, but what happens in GMAT is "rather than" is preferrable to "instead of" if they are both given as option choices. This is why I said "could be incorrect", not "is incorrect"...Anyway, thanks for your input.
Manager
Manager

Re: SC - Research [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 18:12
This q is from 1000Q...from question set 19, question #7.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 5

Re: SC - Research [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2008, 07:24
Spriya - can you explain to me why C is wrong? thx :)

spriya wrote:
Richardson wrote:
Richardson wrote:

hence A is correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Research [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2008, 11:33
If A is the OA then I am in trouble cause if this question comes in the test and certainly going to opt C....
A seems highly ambiguous and awkward.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Research [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2008, 13:11
also can someone tell me the referent of "that" in A. referent of "which" in C will be processes according to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Research [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2008, 15:50
that OR which any thing can correctly refer to processes ,, but here a essential pronoun is required

as we are talking about only and only those processes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Research [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 02:41
What is the difference between "processes that produce and make it understandable" and "processes by which it is produced and understood" in meaning?

To me using one in place of the other changes meaning. Hence, C, D and E are out. Between A and B, it is clearly A.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 02:25

A. that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
B. of producing and understanding it have revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
C. by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
D. by which it is produced and understood have revealed great complexity rather than underlying simplicity
E. by which one produces and understands it have revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity

So far I have not seen a convincing explanation for this question's OA.
I hope to find one :)
Current Student
Schools: Cornell University - The Johnson School
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 62

Re: Tough SC: language [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 07:05
Is the answer A? A and C have correct subject/verb agreement (Research ... has revealed). The others do not so I eliminated those answer choices.

From here I determined whether the pronoun "it" has a referent. Check

I don't like this phrase in C: "not underlying simplicity but great complexity". The correct idiom is "not X but rather Y" unless I'm missing something here about the acceptability of "not X but Y."

Answer A has the correct idiom "instead of" so I'll go with A.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Tough SC: language [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 07:29
The OA is A.

I think there is nothing wrong with "not X but (rather) Y".
"rather" can be understood.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 2

Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 10:35
606. Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 4

Re: several decades on the nature of language [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
The subject of the sentence is "research," all of the other fluff in between can be ignored.

Since "research" is singular, the verb tense must also be singular. Answers B, D, and E all use the plural verb "have," so eliminate answers B, D, and E

Between answers A and C, "by which it..." is wordy and awkward construction.

I would pick answer A

Paul

Focused GMAT Prep
http://www.thegmatbootcamp.com

Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 18

Re: several decades on the nature of language [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 11:38
"have" is must.
Between B,D and E.
Continuous or past tense is not required.

E for me.
Re: several decades on the nature of language   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2009, 11:38