Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 17:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Research during the past several decades on the nature of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2004, 15:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.

(A) that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
(B) of producing and understanding it have revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(C) by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(D) by which it is produced and understood have revealed great complexity rather than underlying simplicity
(E) by which one produces and understands it have revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Research [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 13:15
But, shouldn't A be written in this way?

(A) that produce IT and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 20:41
A

B D and E out cuz of s-v agreement.

C is okay grammatically but is a passive structure. Therefore, A.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 16:26
definitely going for A on this one...all of the other ones seem to have passive language
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: several decades on the nature of language [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 17:05
dwivedys wrote:
Dear Noboru - lemme take a shot:

First problem with C: the phrase "by which it is produced" is considered WORDY on the GMAT.

Second - when we say - not underlying simplicity but great complexity - it almost amounts to saying - we were "expecting" simplicity but found complexity; this is the distortion. The statement - has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicty - puts the facts in a straightfoward "active voice".

In GMAT English - in most cases - the correct choice is worded simply (has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity) and in active voice. Compare again ---- Processes that produce is active voice versus processes by which it is produced...

I hope it is clear.

Thank dwivedys, I have question, if the parallel structure such as "not simplicity but complexity" replace in choice C, it's correct? (out of the passive voice problem).

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 06:43
i think this one doesn't resembles GMAT qns
though A seems to be correct but it is flawed
A says that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity

IT has a poor antecedent, it may refer to nature of language or Reserch as both are in same case.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 23:15
ArashKhurana wrote:
22. Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.

a. that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
b. of producing and understanding it have revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
c. by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
d. by which it is produced and understood have revealed great complexity rather than underlying simplicity
e. by which one produces and understands it have revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity

A or C? And why?

Thanks!
Arash

My ans:c

We cannot use "have" since we are discussing here language as a singular term.Hence D & E automatically ruled out.Now in A..it is processess "that produce" doesnt go well compared with "processess by which it isproduced" ( C)
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 296

Kudos [?]: 457 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 10:20
Expert's post
'Instead' is used as an adverb and therefore has to modify some verb.

Instead of walking to school, they rode the bus.

In the question, we have two nouns (simplicity, complexity). Thus we want to use the construction not 'A' but 'B'.

Therefore that leaves us with (C).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1238

Kudos [?]: 3412 [0], given: 181

Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 11:06
Expert's post
Hi,

Received a PM to comment on the numnber of the subject of this particular problem.

Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.

The subject of this sentence is "Research". Here we have a huge noun phrase "Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes" where everything after "Research" lies in prepositional phrase and hence cannot be the subject. So the head of this long phrase "Research" is the subject which is singular in number. Plural for "researches". Hence, the singular verb "has revealed" agrees in number with the singular subject in the original sentence.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 70

Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 21:32
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please read and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1546 [0], given: 248

Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 23:10
Expert's post
I haven’t been able to go through all the eight pages of discussion on the topic. But judging from the last few posts, I could see that the discussion has been mostly on idiomatism, SV mismatch etc; But has it been dissected from the pronoun ambiguity angle as well? What would ‘it’ represent? Is it the research, as it is the subject according some, while it could as well stand for the language itself? Or can it replace the nature (in the nature of language)?
Of course, I can easily give arm-chair advice that, since all the five choices have the pronoun problem, we can ignore it altogether and focus on other areas. After all, isn’t a 1000-series problem, an anathema to GMAT? But what is the reality?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2013, 17:52
I got this as D. Experts please explain
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 12:05
A works for me

1) sub-verb agreement is spot on : Research during ............has revealed
2) nature of language and the process that produce and..... ( that is modifying process--- it is correct)
3) great complexity and instead of underlying simplicity ....( simple and concise) ..

As for C

by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
1) by which it is produced and understood (modifiers language BUT which violates the touch rule for modifying a noun)
2) also the statement implies that the process and not research has revealed the simplicity........
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 4

Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 01:51
Hi Sankey,

Actually A and issue

Here it is in full with the areas highlighted:

'produce' lacks a subject. We need to say something like 'produce it'.

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: AGSM '16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 09:32
I say A.
Though C is correct grammatically, I think it is unnecessarily wordy and conveys the same information in a roundabout way.
Experts, please help!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIMB, advantages.us, IIML
Schools: iim-bangalore - Class of 1994
GMAT 1: 750 Q59 V43
GPA: 3.12
WE: Research (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 39

Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 09:35
singh_satya wrote:

(A) that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
(B) of producing and understanding it have revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(C) by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(D) by which it is produced and understood have revealed great complexity rather than underlying simplicity
(E) by which one produces and understands it have revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity

I agree C is the right "ed" modifier and idiom righted mid course.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIMB, advantages.us, IIML
Schools: iim-bangalore - Class of 1994
GMAT 1: 750 Q59 V43
GPA: 3.12
WE: Research (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 39

Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 09:36
singh_satya wrote:

I agree C is the right "ed" modifier and idiom righted mid course.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 17

Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 04:58
I think by now there is no doubt that other choices except A&C are out.

We always heard that GMAC prefers active voice to the passive. BUT WHEN? Indeed if in a question that all the choices employed the passive voice we cannot use this preference, INSTEAD if we have 2 choices that are correct so far and the difference is in their voices then we must go with the active voice. That's the point in this question A employed active voice so we cross off C.

I hope, I clarified some misunderstanding.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 06-27-2014
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 06:36
Options B,D,E - straight out.
S-V agreement, Research is the subject here.
Tough choice between A and C, I think
not underlying simplicity but great complexity in Option C doesnt make sense. Hence A.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: Q51 V27

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 10:35
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Sankey,

Actually A and issue

Here it is in full with the areas highlighted:

'produce' lacks a subject. We need to say something like 'produce it'.

THANKS FOR THE EXPLANATION. BUT I STILL HAVE ONE DOUBT:

WHY THE OPTION C IS CORRECT. ISN'T THE ANTECEDENT OF "WHICH" IN OPTION C IS AMBIGUOUS HERE?? "WHICH" COULD REFER BACK TO "nature of language"OR " the processes" OR BOTH.

SECOND, CAN'T WE SAY "IT" AFTER "MAKE" IS ACTING AS A SUBJECT FOR BOTH "PRODUCE" AND "MAKE" .
HENCE WHY OPTION A IS NOT CORRECT
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 15:13

it is 3-2 spilt.
Research is singular so has is correct
between A and C - C has pronoun error. "it" does not have clear noun. it could be language or process. logically it refers to language but grammatically it refers to process.

So A.
Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2013, 15:13