Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 21:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Research during the past several decades on the nature of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2004, 15:35
This post received
KUDOS
Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.

(A) that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
(B) of producing and understanding it have revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(C) by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(D) by which it is produced and understood have revealed great complexity rather than underlying simplicity
(E) by which one produces and understands it have revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 20:28
Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.

(A) that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
(B) of producing and understanding it have revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(C) by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(D) by which it is produced and understood have revealed great complexity rather than underlying simplicity
(E) by which one produces and understands it have revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 22:17
I will go with C. The subject "research" matches with singulat verb " has" and it uses correct idion........not..............but........
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 00:04
It boils down to either A or C. I will go with C.
In A we need 'it' (produce it...) .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 10:27
Of the choices between A and C, I go with C. But curiously what does it refer to here ? Is it the research or the language. Using POE I figured it to refer to language but is there a rule in play here ?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 11:10
I would with A.

has revealed not underlying simplicity ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC processes [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 11:31
stevegt wrote:

I think A is better than C here. What does "revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity" mean?

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 16:16
OA is A
but I think it is not PROCESSES that produce and make it understandable but something else produce and make it understandable BY the PROCESSES.
additionally, do you guys think the pronoun "it" can be shared by the two verbs "produce" and "make"? if "it" does be shared by those verbs, the meaning changes to

produce it understandable and make it understandable..

I don't think it makes any sense.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 17:17
man that one was annoying. timed 1:30.

Elminated all but A and C. A and C have "has" in their sentences. Has is needed b/c it correlates with the singular it. Also notice "Research" is singular and is the subject. Don't pay attention to all that junk inbetween.

Now A and C. "by which it is" seemed wordy to me so I went with A.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 17:27
C is passive: by which...is produced and understood.

'it' refers logically to language.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc -nature of language [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 00:31

Research (during the past several decades) on (the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable) has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 00:42
(B) 'have revealed' is wrong
(D) 'have revealed' is wrong
(E) 'have revealed' is wrong

Between A and C, go with A. Past tense 'produced' and 'understood' in this sentence is wrong.
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 12:49

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 12:53
I have it narrowed down to A and C by the use of has instead of have.

forced to guess I would go with A. but I'm in for a good explanation here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 13:02
Quote:

Vote: A

Topic of sentence is focused around "research" (singular). Research..."HAS"...

Choices boiled down to A and C.

I'd go wtih A over C b/c A is more concise and C is awkwardly worded.
Choice A: Research...has revealed X instead of Y.
Choice C: Research...has revealed not X but Y.
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Research [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 13:02
OA is A.

can you guys explain it in more detail as i also norrowed down to A and C but could not decide why A is better than C?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 13:28
Quote:
OA is A.

can you guys explain it in more detail as i also norrowed down to A and C but could not decide why A is better than C?

Between choices A and C, I found C to be awkwardly worded and A to be more concise / clear.

What did the research reveal?

Choice A: Great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.
Choice C: Not underlying simplicity but great complexity.

Would you really say a study showed not simplicity but great complexity?

I like A because it tell us what the study revealed, not what it didn't reveal.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2007, 05:09
My 10/5 cents -

processes by which it is produced in C, apart from being passive also fails the SV test - it's better in A which uses the restrictive THAT which is also a better choice when pointing to plural subject - processes (processes that produce etc...)

also - has revealed NOT UNDERLYING SIMPLICITY BUT GREAT COMPLEXITY is not one of the best constructions...
Manager
Manager

My Ans is 'A' [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 15:25
My Ans is 'A'

In 'C' IDIOM is not parallel.

Not 'X' but 'Y' .
not underlying simplicity but great complexity

Last edited by humtum0 on 07 Oct 2007, 19:05, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 17:16
dwivedys wrote:
My 10/5 cents -

processes by which it is produced in C, apart from being passive also fails the SV test - it's better in A which uses the restrictive THAT which is also a better choice when pointing to plural subject - processes (processes that produce etc...)

also - has revealed NOT UNDERLYING SIMPLICITY BUT GREAT COMPLEXITY is not one of the best constructions...

Dwivedys: Heres my take :-)

Ofcourse only A and C stand in contention.

A Complexity instead of simliplicty ("instead of"used with nouns)

in C) not X but Y isnt a correct idiom...Not X but rather Y is correct
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 17:24
Good information.
I went for C... :(
  [#permalink] 07 Oct 2007, 17:24