Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [106]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [38]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [22]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Research has shown that the ancient Mesoamerican ballgame did not alwa [#permalink]
Can someone please explain why E is incorrect?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [5]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Re: Research has shown that the ancient Mesoamerican ballgame did not alwa [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
human sacrifice is noun. It should be parallel to other activities.

Gerund (ing form of verb) is not a complete noun as "human sacrifice". Hence E is OUT.

seekmba wrote:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Bookmarks
I felt that the gerund form of the verbs in option E need an object.. Hence eliminated E in favour of B.. Is my line of reasoning right?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: IT
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
How is E incorrect option? Cab someone please help me understand

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
GMAT 1: 610 Q45 V29
Send PM
Research has shown that the ancient Mesoamerican ballgame did not alwa [#permalink]
seekmba wrote:

If taken individually,
- it was often used for entertaining conflicts between warring factions - awkward
- it was often used for exercising conflicts between warring factions - Wrong
- it was often used for worshiping conflicts between warring factions - awkward
- it was often used for resolving conflicts between warring factions - OK

Hence E can be eliminated
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
Send PM
A and C have parallelism problems, so they are out. D has an SV agreement problem, ‘ballgame’ is being referred to in the plural. Comma placement in E is poor. It implies that the ballgame was only used in the context of conflicts between tribes and that entertaining, exercising, worshipping, and resolving are all things done to the conflicts. B is the right answer.

conmisdosmanos wrote:
Research has shown that the ancient Mesoamerican ballgame did not always involve human sacrifice; it was often used for entertaining, exercising, worship and conflict resolution between warring factions.

(A) it was often used for entertaining, exercising, worship and conflict resolution between warring factions.

(B) it was often used for entertainment, exercise, worship and conflict resolution between warring factions.

(C) it was often used for entertaining, exercising, worshipping and conflict resolution between factions at war.

(D) they had often used it for entertaining, exercising, worshipping and resolving conflicts between factions who were at war.

(E) it was often used for entertaining, exercising, worshipping and resolving conflicts between warring factions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Would be terrible if 'it' refers to sacrifice. That ambiguity is quite possible as sacrifice is the closest noun.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
In my view the OA is wrong and many explanations here are unconvincing, answer should be C not B; please let me know why I'm incorrect. My rationales are:
1. there is no parallelism issue for all options, they are all nouns, gerund is a noun, conflict resolution is a compound noun
2. people claim that there is confusion that "worship" applies to resolution; I agree and that's exactly the problem with OA as boldened below
3. the correct idiom should be "used for + v-ing" not "used for + noun", although it is not wrong, just a preference

In conclusion C is the best:
(A) it was often used for entertaining, exercising, worship and conflict resolution between warring factions.
(B) it was often used for entertainment, exercise, worship and conflict resolution between warring factions.
(C) it was often used for entertaining, exercising, worshipping and conflict resolution between factions at war.
    > list has clear meaning and the last phrase "between factions at war" is the clearest amongst all
(D) they had often used it for entertaining, exercising, worshipping and resolving conflicts between factions who were at war.
(E) it was often used for entertaining, exercising, worshipping and resolving conflicts between warring factions.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
faat99 wrote:
In my view the OA is wrong and many explanations here are unconvincing, answer should be C not B; please let me know why I'm incorrect. My rationales are:
1. there is no parallelism issue for all options, they are all nouns, gerund is a noun, conflict resolution is a compound noun
2. people claim that there is confusion that "worship" applies to resolution; I agree and that's exactly the problem with OA as boldened below
3. the correct idiom should be "used for + v-ing" not "used for + noun", although it is not wrong, just a preference

In conclusion C is the best:
    > list has clear meaning and the last phrase "between factions at war" is the clearest amongst all

Hello faat99,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubts.

In Option C, "entertaining", "exercising", "worshipping" are not active verbs, but they are also not gerunds, as they refer to actions. To understand this distinction, please consider these examples -

"For maintaining one's health, exercise is necessary." - here, "maintaining" is not an active verb, as it is part of a modifying phrase, but it is not a gerund.

"The maintaining of one's health requires exercise." - here, "maintaining" is a gerund, as it acts as a noun to play the role of the subject.

Further, the phrase "factions at war" is needlessly wordy, making it inferior to the phrase "warring factions".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts