Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Research in cell-engendered immunity until recently is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1698 [2] , given: 249

Premium Member
Research in cell-engendered immunity until recently is [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 08:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (02:29) correct 50% (02:13) wrong based on 51 sessions
Research in cell-engendered immunity until recently is concerned not only with the development of new and better vaccines alone, but also with the problem of transplanting tissues and organs from one organism to another, for although circulating antibodies play a part in the rejection of transplanted tissues, cell-engendered reactions play the primary role

A. Research in cell-engendered immunity until recently is concerned not only with the development of new and better vaccines alone , but also with the problem of transplanting tissues and organs from one organism to another, for although circulating antibodies play a part in the rejection of transplanted tissues, cell-engendered reactions play the primary role

B. Research in cell- engendered immunity until not long ago is concerned with not only the development of new and better vaccines alone, but also with the problem of transplanting tissues and organs from one organism to another, for although circulating antibodies play a part in the rejection of transplanted tissues, cell-engendered reactions play the primary role

C Research in cell- engendered immunity has been concerned until recently not only with the development of new and better vaccines, but also with the problem of transplanting tissues and organs from one organism to another, for although circulating antibodies play a part in the rejection of transplanted tissues, cell-engendered reactions play the primary role

D Recent research in cell- engendered immunity is not only concerned with the development of new and better vaccines, but also with the problem of transplanting tissues and organs from one organism to another, for in the rejection of transplanted tissues, although circulating antibodies play a part, cell-involving reactions play the primary role

E Recent research in cell-engendered immunity has been concerned not with the development of new and better vaccines, but with the problem of transplanting tissues and organs from one organism to another, for although circulating antibodies play a part in the rejection of transplanted tissues, cell-involving reactions play the primary role,

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 308

Kudos [?]: 486 [7] , given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Research in cell-engendered immunit [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hmm... this is quite a monster of a question :). My feeling is an actual GMAT question would offer a little more variance between the right answer and the almost right answer. Usually the difference between the two does not come down to one subtle thing. That said, this was a fun question that makes for great practice! (BTW, what is the original source? Did you yourself concoct this?)

Okay, in taking this question apart, I'm focusing on Parallelism, Meaning, and Verb Tense.

Research in cell-engendered immunity until recently is concerned not only with the development of new and better vaccines alone, but also with the problem of transplanting tissues and organs from one organism to another, for although circulating antibodies play a part in the rejection of transplanted tissues, cell-engendered reactions play the primary role

A. Research in cell-engendered immunity until recently is concerned not only with the development of new and better vaccines alone , but also with the problem of transplanting tissues and organs from one organism to another, for although circulating antibodies play a part in the rejection of transplanted tissues, cell-engendered reactions play the primary role

Here we need the present perfect tense to show that an action 'has been' occurring till recently.

B. Research in cell- engendered immunity until not long ago is concerned with not only the development of new and better vaccines alone, but also with the problem of transplanting tissues and organs from one organism to another, for although circulating antibodies play a part in the rejection of transplanted tissues, cell-engendered reactions play the primary role

Notice, how the 'with' comes before the 'not only.' Whereas the second 'with' comes after the 'but also'

C Research in cell- engendered immunity has been concerned until recently not only with the development of new and better vaccines, but also with the problem of transplanting tissues and organs from one organism to another, for although circulating antibodies play a part in the rejection of transplanted tissues, cell-engendered reactions play the primary role

The Answer

D Recent research in cell- engendered immunity is not only concerned with the development of new and better vaccines, but also with the problem of transplanting tissues and organs from one organism to another, for in the rejection of transplanted tissues, although circulating antibodies play a part, cell-involving reactions play the primary role

The 'in the rejection...' is awkward.

E Recent research in cell-engendered immunity has been concerned not with the development of new and better vaccines, but with the problem of transplanting tissues and organs from one organism to another, for although circulating antibodies play a part in the rejection of transplanted tissues, cell-involving reactions play the primary role

Changes the original meaning by omitting the 'until recently.'

Good question, thanks for posting :)

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1698 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Research in cell-engendered immunit [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 10:38
Expert's post
Chris,

Excellent analysis and professional approach. This is in fact an RC sentence and the original is much longer than this. I edited it. However, my point of this passage was to make people ignore the size of it but concentrate on the basic tenets of grammar. This passage is no big deal when you handle it that away. Am I right?

One additional point that I wish to make regarding. Choice E is that it may not change the meaning by omitting the 'until recently’, which I thought I covered it up with “recent research”. However, what changes the meaning more IMO is by saying “not with the development of new and better vaccines, but with the problem”. Here we are missing the accentuation that the original idiom “not only….. but also intends to impart, in addition to giving a diametrically opposite twist to the issue by eliminating the first arm totally.

I am sad that no test- taker is trying to solve such specious monsters. .

Kudos to you Chris

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 82

Re: Research in cell-engendered immunit [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 11:55
confused with C and D.. but i think its D..:D

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 308

Kudos [?]: 486 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Research in cell-engendered immunit [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 07:31
Expert's post
Hi Daagh,

Very interesting - the question was straight from an RC!

For (E), yes the more salient point is that in eliminating the 'not only...but also' construction, (E) creates an entirely different meaning.

Hmm, I wonder how many SC questions are lifted from RC passages :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 15

Re: Research in cell-engendered immunity until recently is [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 04:38
great question daagh. was stuck between C and E and finally chose E! :(
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: Research in cell-engendered immunity until recently is [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 04:48
I was dwelling between (A) 60% & (C) 40%.
Good question asked and nice explanation for the answer.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1698 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Research in cell-engendered immunity until recently is [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 06:09
Expert's post
Original RC passage:

Recent research in cell-mediated immunity has been concerned not only with the development of new and better vaccines, but also with the problem of transplanting tissues and organs from one organism to another, for although circulating antibodies play a part in the rejection of transplanted tissues, the primary role is played by cell-mediated reactions. ( Source: Internet, probably the 1000 RC series)

Sorry, when I edited the passage to suit SC purposes, I thought I precised it: I don't seem to have. My version is as long as the original.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 6

Re: Research in cell-engendered immunity until recently is [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 17:36
Tough one but tense is key here. The Present perfect accurately captures the time essence of the problem hence "has been" is the correct tense.

Straight C.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Research in cell-engendered immunity until recently is [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 19:15
Hi Daagh / Chris,

Thanks for the excellent question!. Lot of new info.

But in the option D here
Recent research in cell- engendered immunity is not only concerned with the development of new and better vaccines, but also with the problem of transplanting tissues and organs from one organism to another, for in the rejection of transplanted tissues, although circulating antibodies play a part, cell-involving reactions play the primary role

Are the bold parts parallel?

we have not only concerned .....
but also with ......

I think they are not parallel.
Though you have eliminated this option due to some other i jus wanted to make sure if my elimination based on the parallelism holds good!
Thanks
Re: Research in cell-engendered immunity until recently is   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2012, 19:15