Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Researchers agreed that the study of new treatments for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Researchers agreed that the study of new treatments for [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 09:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Researchers agreed that the study of new treatments for heart attack patients was extremely important but more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than the balloon procedure by itself.

A. more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than
B. more research was needed for determining whether or not balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than is
C. that more research was needed to determine whether balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than
D. that more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was any better for heart attack patients than
E. that more research was needed for determining that balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is or is not any better for heart attack patients than is
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- SET 30 Q29 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 16:15
singh_amit19 wrote:
Researchers agreed that the study of new treatments for heart attack patients was extremely important but more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than the balloon procedure by itself.

A. more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than
B. more research was needed for determining whether or not balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than is
C. that more research was needed to determine whether balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than
D. that more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was any better for heart attack patients than
E. that more research was needed for determining that balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is or is not any better for heart attack patients than is

C for ||ism and "determine whether [this] is better than [that]"
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- SET 30 Q29 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 16:32
singh_amit19 wrote:

Intereting SC..

Can any one please explain what is wrong with 'B'. Also usage of 'but that', I am loosing my comfort here..
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- SET 30 Q29 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 17:39
singh_amit19 wrote:

I believe this is C.

A: Researchers agreed that... but more... not ||. long and akward
B: Researchers agreed that... but more... not ||. whether or not is almost always wrong on the GMAT.
D: fixes ||ism, but determine that is incorrect. "preceded with" I believe changes the meaning.
E: fixes ||ism, but determining that is incorrect. is or is not could be shortened by the use of whether following determine. long akward phrase.

C: Researchers agreed that... but that more...
proper ||ism is maintained

determine whether is preferable here to all the other choices. determine whether also elminates the awkwardness of is or is not, was or was not. Go for brevity here too.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- SET 30 Q29 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 17:16
spider wrote:
singh_amit19 wrote:

C. that more research was needed to determine whether balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than - Correct, its crisp and clear

Whether or not is idiomatic

Whether is a conjunction which introduces the first of two or more alternatives...
Eg:-
It matters little whether we go or stay
He threatens to go whether or no.
See whether or not she has come.

But when we use it with 'any', one alternative is sufficient enough
eg:-
I doubt whether we can do any better (Option C)

I am not comfortable with the usage of 'but that...' otherwise I would go for 'C' for the sentence being in its verbal form where as 'B' in its noun form.

In 'C' first 'that' modifies the verb 'agreed' ...the second 'that' modifies but' , which is not needed (that is what I think...)

Kindly post your opinions on the same.

Thank you
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- SET 30 Q29 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 17:50
Beyond700 wrote:
spider wrote:
singh_amit19 wrote:

C. that more research was needed to determine whether balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than - Correct, its crisp and clear

Whether is a conjunction which introduces the first of two or more alternatives...

I am not comfortable with the usage of 'but that...' otherwise I would go for 'C' for the sentence being in its verbal form where as 'B' in its noun form.

In 'C' first 'that' modifies the verb 'agreed' ...the second 'that' modifies but' , which is not needed (that is what I think...)

Thank you

"but that" is required for ||ism, otherwise it sounds like the researchers only agreed on studying new treatments for heart attack.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- SET 30 Q29 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 20:28
Beyond700 wrote:
spider wrote:
singh_amit19 wrote:

Thank you

The point presented by Beyond700 are true, it came in my mind also.

Though I read it many places in book that "whether or not" is not acceptable by GMAT.
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Re: SC- SET 30 Q29 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 22:09
singh_amit19 wrote:

C. "that x but that y" should be fine. C also has whether that correctly expresses the choice.
Re: SC- SET 30 Q29   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2007, 22:09