Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [88]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [13]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V37 GMAT 2: 750  Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [13]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [4]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Re: Researchers agreed that the study of new treatments for heart attack p [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO C.

The sentence is using the structure X but Y, we need to maintain parallelism between X and Y.
Here to maintain parallelism, we need to have a "that" after "but"
Researchers agreed that the study......but that more research....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [3]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
Re: Researchers agreed that the study of new treatments for heart attack p [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
See this:

nice explanation!!
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/post1993.html#p1993
summary:
C is the best.
- 'but that' is correct for parallelism.
- to determine
- preceded by

Also something useful for "conjunction +that"
https://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentenc ... epaet.html

HTH
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31889 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
C
REASON: 'that' is reqd after but for llism... so left with choices C,D & E...
determining a preference.. 'whether' is correct..... so C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: healthcare
Schools:Fuqua, Tuck, Kellogg
 Q49  V37
WE 1: top medical device - ops, product development, acquisition integration
WE 2: IT startup
Send PM
Kudos
Researchers agreed that the study of new treatments for heart attack patients was
extremely important but more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty
preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than the
balloon procedure by itself.
A. more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with
ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than -- was or was not -- awkward
B. more research was needed for determining whether or not balloon angioplasty - "Whether or not" is not correct usage
preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than is
C. that more research was needed to determine whether balloon angioplasty preceded
by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than
D. that more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded
with ultrasound was any better for heart attack patients than - "preceded with" is not a correct idiom
E. that more research was needed for determining that balloon angioplasty preceded
by ultrasound is or is not any better for heart attack patients than is - is or is not is awkward.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1905 [4]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
Actually it is a question from gmatprep, the OA is C. I have attached the screen shot of the question.
For explanation click here..
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/gma ... -t671.html
Attachments

gmat.prep.JPG
gmat.prep.JPG [ 90.28 KiB | Viewed 43203 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Researchers agreed that the study of new treatments for heart attack patients was
extremely important but more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty
preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than
the

ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than
B. more research was needed for determining whether or not balloon angioplasty
C. that more research was needed to determine whether balloon angioplasty preceded
with
ultrasound was any better for heart attack patients than
E. that more research was needed for determining that balloon angioplasty preceded
by ultrasound is or is not any better for heart attack patients than is

"preceded by" is correct idiom, hence eliminate A & D.
"needed to determine" is correct idiom, hence eliminate B & E.

I picked C for an answer, but I'm still having doubt whether C may contain the inconsistent tense with its "is"?
I know that I am not supposed to question the OA, but could someone kindly advise why we are fine with "is" in option C?
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
the reduced Stem : .......................more research was needed to determine that X was or was not any better ..............than............. Y

First split :

A. X.......................was or was not any better ............ than.........Y = ( WAS or WASNOT = does it makes any sense ?) = Eliminate

B. X............ ..........is any better .....................................than is.......Y = ( No need of IS , X is compared with Y, X is better THAN Y aptly conveys the intent ) = Eliminated

C. X.......................is any better ...................................than..........Y = Good , ON HOLD = passes the 1st litmus

D. X.......................was any better ................................than..........Y = Good , ON HOLD = passes the 1st litmus

E. X.......................is or is not any better ......................than is........Y = this is Crap = Eliminated

Thus we are left with C n D : 2nd Split

D. more research was needed to determine..............that X was any better ................than Y = THAT doesn't bring out the intent, Further WAS is wrong contextually

C. more research was needed to determine..............whether X is any better .............than Y = Whether n IS perfect combo

thus 1. WHETHER scores over THAT, 2. IS scores over WAS

Leading to C , my take
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
... to determine that.. something is so... is to express a fact, a certainty... However, in this sentence, "more research was needed to determine WHETHER something is truly so..." Hence, the usage is WHETHER is preferred since it neither a certified fact nor established truth... Eliminate A, D and E

with ultrasound was any better for heart attack patients than

Another error in the sentence is "for determining" which is awkward.... Eliminate B and E

Answer: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Kudos
preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than the
with ultrasound was any better for heart attack patients than

C

- .."to determine.." > "..for determining...": down to A C or D
- that is needed at the beginning to maintain ||ism - but is a FANBOY preposition, hence that is needed: Down to C and D
- "preceded with" is not a preferred idiom: D Out, C Stays

Side Note
Use of Whether in C makes the sentence better; whether or not is considered redundant and is not preferred on GMAT.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [9]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
) In A, D and E, “determine that” does not convey the intended meaning of the sentence. Since the purpose of the research is to answer a question -- which procedure is better? -- the sentence needs to say “determine whether”. Eliminate A, D and E.
In B, whether or not is an error of redundancy. Eliminate B. Moreover, The expression “for determining” is incorrect. The sentence intends to show the intention/purpose of the research and hence “to verb” should be used instead of “for verb-ing”.
The correct answer is C.
Correct idioms are X is preceded by Y and Y precedes X:
The movie was preceded by a lecture.
A lecture preceded the movie.

Less common is to precede X with Y:

The author preceded the book with a dedication to his parents.

Also correct is to proceed with X:
The roads are slippery, so please proceed with caution.
Whereas precede means to come before, proceed means to move forward.

Furthermore strictly from grammatical stand-point, this list results in two independent clauses and hence the punctuation is not appropriate. Two independent clauses should be connected using ‘comma + but’ and not just ‘but’.
Wordy: The use of expression “was or was not” is very wordy. In this context, “whether” should be used.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [1]
Given Kudos: 418
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
Send PM