Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Researchers blamed the low rate of growth in the harbor's

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Researchers blamed the low rate of growth in the harbor's [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 05:56
Researchers blamed the low rate of growth in the harbor's toad population on lake toxicity as well as on the weather, hotter and more humid than average in the Ohio region, which slowed metabolism and reproductive activity.
which doesn't have a clear antecedent in choice A, actually which generally refers to the noun immediately preceding it...however here which is too far from its actual antecedent (weather) thus having an ambigous antecedent.
IMO B is the correct answer.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

Re: Researchers blamed the low rate of growth in the harbor's [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 09:29
after which, a noun modifier is needed. Only , which is correct here. --> B
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 104

Re: Toad Population [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 13:21
mundasingh123 wrote:
Which can only modify a noun,here "which" has to modify the clause "that the weather being hotter & more humid than average" is responsible for the slowing down

This is exactly what I needed to know for the question. If I had known this grammar rule I think I would have gotten the question right!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 22

Re: Researchers blamed the low rate of growth in the harbor's [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 05:23
B..

relative pronoun which is used to modify the immediately preceding noun weather.
present participle- slowing is correctly used to describe the activity of weather.

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Toad Population [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 12:42
144144 wrote:
can someone explain me why "slowing" is right? (answer B).

shouldnt it be blamed for slowing or something like that?

thanks.

Please have a look at MGMAT SC book Ed. 4 page 91 (chapter 6 on modifiers).
My take is on B because "which" must refer to the word just preceding the comma. Also 'ing' form is correctly used to display the result or an outcome of some happening!!!

Working towards a goal...
V.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Researchers blamed the low rate of growth in the harbor's [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 07:43
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 20

Re: Toad Population [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2014, 10:36
daagh wrote:
“Researchers blamed the low rate of growth in the harbor's toad population on lake toxicity as well as on the weather slowing metabolism and reproductive activity."

Is this sentence grammatically right? Let us see.
What is slowing metabolism and reproductive activity? Is it weather alone or lake toxicity as well? If you want to mean that both are responsible, then you have to necessarily put a comma after 'weather', so that the present participle ‘slowing’ modifies the entire noun idea before it. Otherwise, ‘slowing’ will be simply modifying weather alone and hence structurally and stylistically and semantically wrong. You can’t skip the comma before ‘slowing’

'.. slowing the growth' seems to refer to the researchers
e.g. Researchers blamed poor health conditions on poor dietary habits, concluding that better diet would help save lives. --> Here, Researchers conclude => 'concluding ...' refers to researchers.
Dan identified the problem, using the latest technology --> again comma+verbing tells how Dan identified the problem; 'using ...' doesn't refer to problem here
Do you mean that the sentence (in question) structure like this:
I saw dogs dancing on the road --> here, "dancing on the road" refers to dogs
I saw cats and dogs dancing on the road --> "dancing on the road" still refers to dogs only. so, essentially, the sentence would mean i saw cats and dancing dogs.
So, to make the sentence mean dancing cats and dancing dogs, we'd have t introduce comma, and it'll look something like this:
I saw cats and dogs, dancing on the road. Does 'dancing on the road' refer to cats and dogs both? Isn't "dancing .." ambiguous since it could refer to "I" (that is i was cats and dogs while i was dancing) or "cats and dogs" (that is I saw dancing cats and dancing dogs)?

Please clarify the confusion: in one, ', verb+ing ...' modifies the subject and in the other, the object. thanks in advance.
Re: Toad Population   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2014, 10:36