Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Sep 2016, 09:22
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3010
Followers: 738

Kudos [?]: 5929 [5] , given: 977

Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 09:48
5
This post received
KUDOS
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (03:09) correct 67% (01:58) wrong based on 560 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the three most popular combinations --
1234, 1111, and 0000 -- account for close to 20 per cent of all four-digit passwords. The researchers
also found that every four-digit combination that starts with 19 ranks above the 80th percentile in
popularity, with those in the upper 1900s coming in the highest. Also quite common are
combinations in which the first two digits are between 01 and 12 and the last two are between 01
and 31.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

(A) The password 1922 will most likely be less popular than 1981
(B) The password 0123 will most probably be more common than 2331
(C) If a password was to be selected from a random list of 100 four digit passwords, there is a very high possibility that it will be 1234, 1111, or 0000
(D) One out of three four digit passwords will be 1234, 1111, or 0000
(E) Passwords starting with 19 are more popular than those starting with 21
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 136
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 10:12
B seems best
The password 0123 will most probably be more common than 2331
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 51

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 10:26
E seems correct to me, though not sure.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Posts: 44
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 90 [3] , given: 3

Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 10:31
3
This post received
KUDOS
Let’s first segregate the facts provided in the Statements
1. 1234, 1111, and 0000 -- account for close to 20 per cent of all four-digit passwords.
2. 19_ _ ranks above 80th Percentile in popularity and upper 1900 most popular
3. First two digit between 01 and 12 and last two between 01 and 31 also quite common

Only point 2 says something about comparison between two passwords.Also we should keep in mind that we shouldn’t assume anything when dealing with possibilities and percentages.
(A) The password 1922 will most likely be less popular than 1981
This is clear from point 2 that those in upper 1900 are more popular than those in lower 1900.hence A is correct answer
(B) The password 0123 will most probably be more common than 2331
Only point 2 says about comparison between two and that relates only to number starting with 19.
So this can’t be the answer.


(C) If a password was to be selected from a random list of 100 four digit passwords, there is a very high possibility that it will be 1234, 1111, or 0000
Its not very clear that what number will be the high possibility.

(D) One out of three four digit passwords will be 1234, 1111, or 0000
Again this can’t be taken as a fact.

(E) Passwords starting with 19 are more popular than those starting with 21
Nothing is said about passwords starting with 21 so we can’t assume anything here.
_________________

The Kudo please :)

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1095
Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 489 [1] , given: 70

Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 12:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
carcass wrote:
Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the three most popular combinations --
1234, 1111, and 0000 -- account for close to 20 per cent of all four-digit passwords. The researchers
also found that every four-digit combination that starts with 19 ranks above the 80th percentile in
popularity, with those in the upper 1900s coming in the highest. Also quite common are
combinations in which the first two digits are between 01 and 12 and the last two are between 01
and 31.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

(A) The password 1922 will most likely be less popular than 1981
(B) The password 0123 will most probably be more common than 2331
(C) If a password was to be selected from a random list of 100 four digit passwords, there is a very high possibility that it will be 1234, 1111, or 0000
(D) One out of three four digit passwords will be 1234, 1111, or 0000
(E) Passwords starting with 19 are more popular than those starting with 21

Hi Carcass
I think A must be the answer was stuck between A nad E, but than we know nthn about 21 so I eliminated E....i think the question is sub 600...wat do u say...

Archit
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3010
Followers: 738

Kudos [?]: 5929 [0], given: 977

Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 13:30
Archit143 wrote:
carcass wrote:
Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the three most popular combinations --
1234, 1111, and 0000 -- account for close to 20 per cent of all four-digit passwords. The researchers
also found that every four-digit combination that starts with 19 ranks above the 80th percentile in
popularity, with those in the upper 1900s coming in the highest. Also quite common are
combinations in which the first two digits are between 01 and 12 and the last two are between 01
and 31.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

(A) The password 1922 will most likely be less popular than 1981
(B) The password 0123 will most probably be more common than 2331
(C) If a password was to be selected from a random list of 100 four digit passwords, there is a very high possibility that it will be 1234, 1111, or 0000
(D) One out of three four digit passwords will be 1234, 1111, or 0000
(E) Passwords starting with 19 are more popular than those starting with 21

Hi Carcass
I think A must be the answer was stuck between A nad E, but than we know nthn about 21 so I eliminated E....i think the question is sub 600...wat do u say...

Archit



No I disagree becasue rarely you are stuck in choices in a sub 600 level question.

But the purpose of this huge game is not to care about the level of the question but to solve it in the best manner and with the most efficient strategy you can ;)

A is the OA
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Location: Germany
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT Date: 05-28-2013
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 20

Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 14:23
1
This post received
KUDOS
Can someone be so kind and briefly explain the following sentence to a foreigner:

every four-digit combination that starts with 19 ranks above the 80th percentile in
popularity


Does that mean, that each of the 19xxer is more popular than 80% of all the other passwords?

Thanks in advance.
_________________

........................................................................................
See it big and keep it simple.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 136
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [2] , given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 23:02
2
This post received
KUDOS
the premise says :
1)The researchers also found that every four-digit combination that starts with 19 ranks above the 80th percentile in popularity,
2 with those in the upper 1900s coming in the highest.
3Also quite common are combinations in which the first two digits are between 01 and 12 and the last two are between 01 and 31.

now if we look at A :The password 1922 will most likely be less popular than 1981
A defies premise 3
also premise 2 does not say that every upper 1900s coming in the highest.


what is the source of this question ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Apr 2013
Posts: 152
Location: India
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2013, 08:05
B seems ok with me. But can someone explain why B is wrong?
_________________

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Pay attention to every detail"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 273
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 29

Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2014, 03:38
I didn't even go for other options after looking at A.Though that is not a good thing to do on the gmat,I was pretty sure it was A,after I consulted the portion "that every four-digit combination that starts with 19 ranks above the 80th percentile in popularity, with those in the upper 1900s coming in the highest" once again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 273
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 29

Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2014, 03:49
cssk wrote:
B seems ok with me. But can someone explain why B is wrong?

I think B is wrong because the last sentence says ]the first two digits are between 01 and 12.This probably implies 01 and 12 are not included so we cannot conclude anything about passwords starting from 01 eg. 0123.
The same goes for 2331. Refer last two are between 01 and 31. not including 31.

Another reason could be that the statement is silent about what password combination is more common when it starts with digits between 01 and 12 and ends with digits between 01 and 31.There is no comparison involved.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2013
Posts: 354
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 109 [2] , given: 70

Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2014, 07:09
2
This post received
KUDOS
fact 1. 1234, 1111, and 0000 -- account for close to 20 per cent of all four-digit passwords.

fact2. every four-digit combination that starts with 19 ranks above the 80th percentile in
popularity, with those in the upper 1900s coming in the highest.

fact3. Also quite common are combinations in which the first two digits are between 01 and 12 and the last two are between 01
and 31.

total distinct 4 digit passwords that could be formed are - 10000.....but may be all are not in use where as some are repeated.... eg 1234....

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

(A) The password 1922 will most likely be less popular than 1981...correct ......see fact 2..
(B) The password 0123 will most probably be more common than 2331 .....cannot be concluded..we could have said that for 0223 and 2331...... see fact 3
(C) If a password was to be selected from a random list of 100 four digit passwords, there is a very high possibility that it will be 1234, 1111, or 0000...its a 20 % possibility.... can't call it very high ... see fact 1
(D) One out of three four digit passwords will be 1234, 1111, or 0000 ....incorrect... one out of 05 will be.... that is 20%... see fact 1
(E) Passwords starting with 19 are more popular than those starting with 21..............can't say....nowhere inferred see fact 2.....
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2015
Posts: 5
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 21:47
ssbisht wrote:
Let’s first segregate the facts provided in the Statements
1. 1234, 1111, and 0000 -- account for close to 20 per cent of all four-digit passwords.
2. 19_ _ ranks above 80th Percentile in popularity and upper 1900 most popular
3. First two digit between 01 and 12 and last two between 01 and 31 also quite common

Only point 2 says something about comparison between two passwords.Also we should keep in mind that we shouldn’t assume anything when dealing with possibilities and percentages.
(A) The password 1922 will most likely be less popular than 1981
This is clear from point 2 that those in upper 1900 are more popular than those in lower 1900.hence A is correct answer
(B) The password 0123 will most probably be more common than 2331
Only point 2 says about comparison between two and that relates only to number starting with 19.
So this can’t be the answer.


(C) If a password was to be selected from a random list of 100 four digit passwords, there is a very high possibility that it will be 1234, 1111, or 0000
Its not very clear that what number will be the high possibility.

(D) One out of three four digit passwords will be 1234, 1111, or 0000
Again this can’t be taken as a fact.

(E) Passwords starting with 19 are more popular than those starting with 21
Nothing is said about passwords starting with 21 so we can’t assume anything here.





How are you deciding 1981 comes under "upper" category. Can't the upper category start from 1982?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2014
Posts: 217
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 09:39
Quote:
How are you deciding 1981 comes under "upper" category. Can't the upper category start from 1982?


I think, if nothing is specifically mentioned, above 1950 should be considered as upper 1900, isn't it?

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 449
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 91

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 09:50
Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the three most popular combinations -- 1234, 1111, and 0000 -- account for close to 20 per cent of all four-digit passwords. The researchers also found that every four-digit combination that starts with 19 ranks above the 80th percentile in popularity, with those in the upper 1900s coming in the highest. Also quite common are combinations in which the first two digits are between 01 and 12 and the last two are between 01 and 31.
If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

A) The password 1922 will most likely be less popular than 1981
This can definitely be proved by “with those in the upper 1900s coming in the highest”.

B) The password 0123 will most probably be more common than 2331
There is no information provided for the passwords starting with 21, so we cannot compare.

C) If a password was to be selected from a random list of 100 four digit passwords, there is a very high possibility that it will be 1234, 1111, or 0000
1234, 1111, and 0000 -- account for close to 20 per cent of ALL. 20% doesn’t mean VERY HIGH. Also the total number of passwords is not given. So scaling down to 100 and then speaking about VERY HIGH possibility cannot be proved.

D) One out of three four digit passwords will be 1234, 1111, or 0000
1/3 is 33%. But FACT says only 20%.

E) Passwords starting with 19 are more popular than those starting with 21
There is no information provided for the passwords starting with 21. Hence no comparison is possible.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
helpful post means press '+1' for Kudos!
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 03:03
Dear all ..
I have a small concern here . From the premises , it is given that the password starting with 19 have probability of 80% . That
means it has the highest probability when compared with 12 right ..
So how come the option E go wrong ... plz clarify this .. Thanks !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 449
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 91

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 03:12
karnaidu wrote:
Dear all ..
I have a small concern here . From the premises , it is given that the password starting with 19 have probability of 80% . That
means it has the highest probability when compared with 12 right ..
So how come the option E go wrong ... plz clarify this .. Thanks !!


E) Passwords starting with 19 are more popular than those starting with 21

This is a must be true question, in which correct answer choice should be proved with given information in the argument.

Choice E compares "Passwords starting with 19" with "Passwords starting with 21". But argument did not give any clue about "Passwords starting with 21". Hence the comparison cannot be proven. this is why E is wrong.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
helpful post means press '+1' for Kudos!
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Re: Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2016, 03:12
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Using new detection techniques, researchers have found elegan 4 29 Oct 2012, 04:03
5 State researchers have found that since the oil price Legendaddy 8 23 Aug 2012, 22:19
Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tuanquang269 0 07 Jan 2012, 22:53
Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who ajit257 0 15 Jan 2013, 20:55
Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who achan 0 18 May 2010, 09:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Researchers from a data analysis firm have found that the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.