Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 15:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Researchers have discovered a new species of sparrow that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Researchers have discovered a new species of sparrow that [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 14:58
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

69% (02:34) correct 31% (00:32) wrong based on 33 sessions
Researchers have discovered a new species of sparrow that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees and whose coloring is completely different from all other sparrows.

A) that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows in cypress trees and whose coloring is completely different from

B) that lives only in cypress groves, is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and has coloring completely different from that of

C) living only in cypress groves, is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and whose coloring is completely different from

D) that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and whose coloring is completely different from that of

E)living only in cypress groves, depending almost wholly on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and having coloring completely different than

can some one explain?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

Re: new species of sparrow [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 02:42
This post received
KUDOS
ugimba wrote:
Researchers have discovered a new species of sparrow that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees and whose coloring is completely different from all other sparrows.

A) that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows in cypress trees and whose coloring is completely different from

B) that lives only in cypress groves, is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and has coloring completely different from that of

C) living only in cypress groves, is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and whose coloring is completely different from

D) that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and whose coloring is completely different from that of

E)living only in cypress groves, depending almost wholly on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and having coloring completely different than

can some one explain?

My ans is B.
To make comparison parallel (coloring VS all other sparrows' coloring)--> require "that of"--> eliminate A,C,E
In D, almost wholly dependent on.. , could modify the cypress grove.--> which is not the intended meaning.
Plus, B maintains //ism--> 1. lives,2. is almost wholly independent, and 3. has coloring

I am not born to be a GENIUS nor a GMATTER. If you are struggling, we are in the same boat. Fight to the last!!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 96 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: new species of sparrow [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 06:36
This post received
KUDOS
My take is B as well. That lives..., is..., and has... makes everything comma separated parallel. All other answer options have one or the other extra issue such as tense matching or improper pronoun referencing.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: new species of sparrow [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
BarneyStinson wrote:
My take is B as well. That lives..., is..., and has... makes everything comma separated parallel. All other answer options have one or the other extra issue such as tense matching or improper pronoun referencing.

can you please explain a bit more on why B is correct?

I couldn't understand the comma before is (,is almost wholly) .. it didn't make sense to me but looks like this option is correct since you all picked this choice.

if you can, please break down the option B to explain the independent clause(s), lists ..
( the 'is' connected to which subject?)

thanks.
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 96 [3] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: new species of sparrow [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 07:27
This post received
KUDOS
ugimba wrote:

I couldn't understand the comma before is (,is almost wholly) .. it didn't make sense to me but looks like this option is correct since you all picked this choice.

if you can, please break down the option B to explain the independent clause(s), lists ..

thanks.

You, my friend, have impressed me with your thirst for knowledge. As your best-friend from now on, I'll tell you the secret, which many a wise men have devised over generations, that, which is the soul of the world's most popular language, that, which when known will help you speak like me. Of course, I am stooping low with my vocabs right now so you could comprehend me easily. Anyways, the secret is that I always break the sentence into logical parts to sound sensible.

Researchers have discovered a new species of sparrow | that lives only in cypress groves, | is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, | and whose coloring is completely different from all other sparrows.

So as you read, we are still discussing about the new species of sparrow in each clause after every comma, which is the subject of the entire sentence. All parts of the sentence when put together should make a complete sense, the intent should be crisp, clear and convincingly conveyable.

How about that awesome thing you just learnt - hi five!!!!!

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: new species of sparrow [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 07:51
This post received
KUDOS
BarneyStinson wrote:
ugimba wrote:

thanks.

You, my friend, have impressed me with your thirst for knowledge. As your best-friend from now on, I'll tell you the secret, which many a wise men have devised over generations, that, which is the soul of the world's most popular language, that, which when known will help you speak like me. Of course, I am stooping low with my vocabs right now so you could comprehend me easily. Anyways, the secret is that I always break the sentence into logical parts to sound sensible.

Researchers have discovered a new species of sparrow | that lives only in cypress groves, | is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, | and whose coloring is completely different from all other sparrows.

So as you read, we are still discussing about the new species of sparrow in each clause after every comma, which is the subject of the entire sentence. All parts of the sentence when put together should make a complete sense, the intent should be crisp, clear and convincingly conveyable.

How about that awesome thing you just learnt - hi five!!!!!

Hey Thanks for the explanation. I got it now ...

usually I see sentences "THAT" repeating so probably that made me to not see the list.

Researchers have discovered a new species of sparrow that lives only in cypress groves, that is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and that has coloring completely different from that of

this is the structure I see for lists that involve 'that' ... anyways, I got it now.

and thanks for considering me your friend :-D I watch "How I met your mother " on CBS every monday!

so I can learn a thing or two from your play book!

+1 kudos to ya.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 4

Re: Researchers have discovered a new species of sparrow that [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
This was a tough one for me too. I didn't pick up on the fact that it was trying to build up parallelism with the different verbs.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 536 [3] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Researchers have discovered a new species of sparrow that [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 13:38
This post received
KUDOS
ugimba wrote:

can some one explain?

HERE IS OE

The original sentence intends to identify a sparrow by the fact that it lives in cypress groves, eats certain berries, and has certain coloring. All these facts about the sparrow must be presented in parallel form. However, in the original sentence, these facts are presented in different forms. We need to find a choice that presents them all in parallel fashion. Moreover, "whose coloring is different from all other sparrows" is incorrect. The sparrow's coloring is different from the coloring of other sparrows, not from the sparrows themselves. We need to find a choice that makes this clear.

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) CORRECT. This choice remedies the parallelism issue: "lives only in...., is almost wholly... and has coloring..." The comparison issue is also remedied: "has coloring different from that of all other sparrows." The comparison is now logically drawn between the coloring of the new species and the coloring ("that") of other species.

(C) This answer choice remedies neither the parallelism issue ("living..., is almost..., and whose coloring") nor the illogical comparison (coloring and sparrows).

(D) While this answer choice remedies the comparison, the parallelism issue persists from the original sentence.

(E) This parallelism issue has been remedied in this answer choice, but the illogical comparison has not. In addition, the correct idiomatic expression is "different from," not "different than."

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Re: Researchers have discovered a new species of sparrow that   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2013, 13:38