Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Researchers have found that if toddlers engaged in social

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 20

Researchers have found that if toddlers engaged in social [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 13:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

88% (01:46) correct 13% (01:25) wrong based on 54 sessions
Researchers have found that if toddlers engaged in social sports or learning groups, they will develop social skills and learn conversational conventions more quickly than do those who do not attend such events.

A engaged in social sports or learning groups, they will develop social skills and learn conversational conventions more quickly than do
B engaged in social sports or learning groups, they develop social skills and learn conversational conventions quicker than
C engage in social sports or learning groups, they will develop social skills and learn conversational conventions quicker than do
D engage in social sports or learning groups, they have developed social skills and learn conversational conventions more quickly than do
E engage in social sports or learning groups, they develop social skills and learn conversational conventions more quickly than
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 339 [2] , given: 5

Re: SC - Parallelism, Verb [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 17:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
agdimple333 wrote:
Researchers have found that if toddlers engaged in social sports or learning groups, they will develop social skills and learn conversational conventions more quickly than do those who do not attend such events.

A engaged in social sports or learning groups, they will develop social skills and learn conversational conventions more quickly than do
B engaged in social sports or learning groups, they develop social skills and learn conversational conventions quicker than
C engage in social sports or learning groups, they will develop social skills and learn conversational conventions quicker than do
D engage in social sports or learning groups, they have developed social skills and learn conversational conventions more quickly than do
E engage in social sports or learning groups, they develop social skills and learn conversational conventions more quickly than

Several issues on display here. First let's look at the end of the sentence where you have a nice split between "than" and "than do". This is a comparison issue as you are comparing the "sporty/social" toddlers with the "anti-social" toddlers. As such, including the word "do" incorrectly compares the "social" toddlers with an action. Eliminates A/C/D.

You also see an issue around the verb tense related to the "if clause". You need a tense pairing that makes sense for an "if clause" - past/past, present/present or present/future.
A - past/future (wrong)
B - past/present (wrong)
C - present/future (fine)
D - present/present perfect (wrong)
E - present/present (fine)

There is also a nice adverb/adjective split here - more quickly/quicker. Here we need the adverb "more quickly" to modify the verb "develop", not the adjective "quicker", which we would use to modify a noun. Eliminates B/C.

That leaves answer choice E.

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 241 [2] , given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Toddlers engaged in social sports or learning groups [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 19:53
This post received
KUDOS
agdimple333 wrote:

The sentence relates to the IF - Clause and Modifier. In IF clause rule, choice C and E are fine. However, in the meaning, choice C using QUICKER that is adjective and modifies wrongly the clause before it, while choice E using MORE QUICKLY that is adverb and correctly modifies the developing... and learning...

So, choice E is the final answer choice.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Researchers have found that if toddlers engaged in social [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 05:20
Hi KyleWiddison or any1 else,can you please explain the If clause (whats should one keep in mind when if is used)
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 5

Re: Researchers have found that if toddlers engaged in social [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 20:37
Expert's post
The 'if' clause isn't commonly tested on the GMAT, so you shouldn't worry about it too much. In short, the 'if' clause presents an 'if' condition with a 'then' outcome. Example: If I go to sleep late, I will be tired tomorrow. There are lots of ways to create the if clause correctly (present/present, present/future, past perfect/conditional perfect...). Here is an example with past perfect/conditional perfect: If I had gone to sleep late, I would have been tired in the morning.

One thing to note, the GMAT won't use helping verbs "would" or "should" in the 'if' portion of the clause. WRONG: If I WOULD go to sleep late, I will be tired.

Hope that helps!
KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: Researchers have found that if toddlers engaged in social [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 21:20
A very good practice question.
"If " brings a subtle cause-effect in the sentence,so (C),(E) seems to be the right choice.
"More quickly" is the right choice over "Quicker than" .

(E) wins

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Re: Researchers have found that if toddlers engaged in social   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2012, 21:20