Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Researchers have questioned the use of costly and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Researchers have questioned the use of costly and [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 08:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

41% (01:47) correct 59% (00:43) wrong based on 70 sessions
Researchers have questioned the use of costly and experimental diagnostic tests to identify food allergies, such as milk, that supposedly disrupt normal behavior.
(A) to identify food allergies, such as
(B) to identify food allergies, like
(C) to identify food allergies, such as to
(D) for identifying food allergies, like that of
(E) for identifying food allergies, such as for

How to elilminate wrong answers?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 550 Q V
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: experimental diagnostic tests [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
I ended up choosing E. Hopefully someone can explain why C is a better choice over E.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: experimental diagnostic tests [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 09:34
I also choose E..why is C correct???
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1422 [0], given: 245

Re: experimental diagnostic tests [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 10:03
Expert's post
Please rest assured that this topic would never appear in GMAT. The non-underlined part has a comma before ‘that’ and the relative pronoun is supposed to modify either tests or allergies, which are far placed from where they should stand. Milk cannot be its modifier. After all, milk is not supposedly going to disrupt normal behavior.

Still for the heck of it, let us solve this.

The passge seeks to avoid some experiments to identify food allergies to some foods such as to milk. If we do not use the preposition ‘to’ milk, then milk itself becomes the allergy, which is rather illogical. In addition, who is going to spend in costly experiments to identify ordinary foods such as milk?

Hence, the use of preposition to becomes essential in the given context. It may be noted that ‘to’ is not an infinitive, which normally precedes a base verb. Therefore, C is the choice, in spite of the inelegance of the phrase such as to milk.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

3 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GMAT 1: Q V
GRE 1: 1600 Q800 V800
GRE 2: 1600 Q800 V800
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 75 [3] , given: 2

Re: experimental diagnostic tests [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 13:46
This post received
KUDOS
I'm just going to reproduce this with the underlining in place:
Researchers have questioned the use of costly and experimental diagnostic tests to identify food allergies, such as milk, that supposedly disrupt normal behavior.
(A) to identify food allergies, such as
(B) to identify food allergies, like
(C) to identify food allergies, such as to
(D) for identifying food allergies, like that of
(E) for identifying food allergies, such as for

The MGMAT approach usually starts with splits, but sometimes we make exceptions. In particular, when the original sentence includes a parallel marker, we know that the stuff after that marker must be structurally similar to some earlier logically comparable stuff. In this case, the phrase such as is a sort of parallel marker. Whatever follows the such as has to be an example of food allergies.
A) Milk is not an allergy. Eliminate A.
B) This still offers milk as an example of an allergy, or perhaps compares allergies to milk. Either way, it's wrong. Eliminate B.
C) As awkward as this sounds, it's actually defensible. Such as to here means such as (an allergy) to. Don't eliminate C.
D) That stands in for allergies, creating two problems. First, that is singular while allergies is plural. Second, allergy of is unidiomatic. Eliminate D.
E) Allergy for is also unidiomatic. Eliminate E.

C it is.

By the way, I imagine that some began by eliminating B and D, because they use like rather than such as to introduce an example. That's actually a complicated issue.
First, every time that I have seen a choice between like and such as on a real GMAT SC, the right answer used such as.
BUT second, in at least one OG explanation, GMAC acknowledges that like can introduce examples in some circumstances.
BUT third, you should not use like to introduce examples unless you mean those examples to be restrictive. If I say I enjoy movies like Miller's Crossing, I mean I enjoy movies relevantly similar to Miller's Crossing. I'm not just giving you an example of a movie, but an example of the sort of movie I enjoy.
SO finally, like is wrong for the sentence above. Feel free to eliminate B and D for that reason.

Oh, and a small point about daagh's answer. I agree with him that this seems an unlikely question, but the comma before that isn't a problem, because the comma doesn't introduce the that clause, it closes the phrase right before the that clause.

Want more detail? Daagh is correct that you shouldn't use a comma to introduce a restrictive clause, and that relative clauses that begin with that are restrictive, but the comma isn't used to introduce the clause here. Rather, the pair of commas are used to set off the phrase such as to milk. Without that phrase, the correct answer would read, Researchers have questioned the use of costly and experimental diagnostic tests to identify food allergies that supposedly disrupt normal behavior. No comma problems.

Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: experimental diagnostic tests   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2012, 13:46