Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal [#permalink] New post 08 May 2006, 11:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (01:46) correct 25% (01:01) wrong based on 0 sessions
Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal construction material for the desert tortoise because it is not so hard that it makes burrowing difficult or so soft that it could cause tunnels to collapse.

A. so hard that it makes burrowing difficult or so soft that it could cause
B. hard enough to make burrowing difficult or soft enough as to cause
C. so hard as to make burrowing difficult or soft enough so it causes
D. as hard as to make burrowing difficult or as soft as to cause
E. too hard, making burrowing difficult, nor too soft, so as to cause

Welcome to discuss! Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 445
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2006, 11:47
A) it doesn't have a clear referent
B)as to is awkward in this context
C) not parallel
E) so as to is unidiomatic

so D is the only one that survives
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 662
Location: London
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2006, 02:00
Go with D too.


A. so hard that it makes burrowing difficult or so soft that it could cause
B. hard enough to make burrowing difficult or soft enough as to cause
C. so hard as to make burrowing difficult or soft enough so it causes
E. too hard, making burrowing difficult, nor too soft, so as to cause

The bolded parts do not agree in the above sentences.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 904
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2006, 04:27
I choose D.....
Not B because not hard enough.....nor should be a correct form....
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2006, 04:56
I will go with D.

"as to cause" in B seems unidiomatic.

OA answer?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 1351
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2006, 16:57
deowl wrote:
A) it doesn't have a clear referent
B)as to is awkward in this context
C) not parallel
E) so as to is unidiomatic

so D is the only one that survives


"so as to" is not unidiomatic. it is perfectly idiomatic. rather "as .. as to" in D is unidiomatic.

contarary to the aboves, go with A cuz "so.. that" is correct expression..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 158
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2006, 21:54
Between A n D...will pick A..for the reason given by professor
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 1136
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2006, 00:16
One more for A. Close one between A and B. I would have chosen B if nor had been used instead of or.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 445
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2006, 01:40
Professor wrote:
deowl wrote:
A) it doesn't have a clear referent
B)as to is awkward in this context
C) not parallel
E) so as to is unidiomatic

so D is the only one that survives


"so as to" is not unidiomatic. it is perfectly idiomatic. rather "as .. as to" in D is unidiomatic.

contarary to the aboves, go with A cuz "so.. that" is correct expression..


Prof.

While so as to is indeed perfectly idiomatic in spoken English, it is not so in GMAT English. ETS never uses it in correct answers. One explanation of this is that so as to in most cases can be substituted with to , so , probably, ETS considers this idiom redundant.

I cannot find any reference that "as .. as to" is considered unidiomatic
in formal English. Can you please provide one?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 1351
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2006, 05:08
deowl wrote:
Professor wrote:
deowl wrote:
A) it doesn't have a clear referent
B)as to is awkward in this context
C) not parallel
E) so as to is unidiomatic

so D is the only one that survives


"so as to" is not unidiomatic. it is perfectly idiomatic. rather "as .. as to" in D is unidiomatic.

contarary to the aboves, go with A cuz "so.. that" is correct expression..


Prof.

While so as to is indeed perfectly idiomatic in spoken English, it is not so in GMAT English. ETS never uses it in correct answers. One explanation of this is that so as to in most cases can be substituted with to , so , probably, ETS considers this idiom redundant.

I cannot find any reference that "as .. as to" is considered unidiomatic
in formal English. Can you please provide one?



"so as to" perfectly idiomatic in written English. it is nothing wrong in GMAT/ETS/PVAU English. it is also not correct that "ETS never uses it in correct answers". ETS doesn't consider this idiom redundant. you can refer to couple of OG 10th edition for this idiom.

I nevr saw "as .. as to" as idiom. it is my guess/opinion and i still believe so.. i agree iwith "as.....as" but not with "as.........as to".

i will try to provide you more on this, if i have any.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 445
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2006, 05:26
Professor wrote:

"so as to" perfectly idiomatic in written English. it is nothing wrong in GMAT/ETS/PVAU English. it is also not correct that "ETS never uses it in correct answers". ETS doesn't consider this idiom redundant. you can refer to couple of OG 10th edition for this idiom.

I nevr saw "as .. as to" as idiom. it is my guess/opinion and i still believe so.. i agree iwith "as.....as" but not with "as.........as to".

i will try to provide you more on this, if i have any.


Prof.

Please provide an example from OG where so as to is used in correct answer.

Please take a look at Q67 from OG10 and please note its OE.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 662
Location: London
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2006, 07:18
Guys...

AS X as to Y is idiomatic
I double checked once again in MGMAT SC Guide.

Moreover, the parallel constructs in all other than D are incorrect. I think this question is about that.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 1351
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2006, 20:52
deowl wrote:
Professor wrote:

"so as to" perfectly idiomatic in written English. it is nothing wrong in GMAT/ETS/PVAU English. it is also not correct that "ETS never uses it in correct answers". ETS doesn't consider this idiom redundant. you can refer to couple of OG 10th edition for this idiom.

I nevr saw "as .. as to" as idiom. it is my guess/opinion and i still believe so.. i agree iwith "as.....as" but not with "as.........as to".

i will try to provide you more on this, if i have any.


Prof.

Please provide an example from OG where so as to is used in correct answer.

Please take a look at Q67 from OG10 and please note its OE.


sure deowl, i will provide that when i find it. i have seen this usage many time.....



btw, what is OA? and OE too..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 214
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 07:58
was going with B, but changed my mind, D looks convincing, parallel. If the ans is A then this is a tough one.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1711
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 19:33
Professor wrote:
deowl wrote:
Professor wrote:

"so as to" perfectly idiomatic in written English. it is nothing wrong in GMAT/ETS/PVAU English. it is also not correct that "ETS never uses it in correct answers". ETS doesn't consider this idiom redundant. you can refer to couple of OG 10th edition for this idiom.

I nevr saw "as .. as to" as idiom. it is my guess/opinion and i still believe so.. i agree iwith "as.....as" but not with "as.........as to".

i will try to provide you more on this, if i have any.


Prof.

Please provide an example from OG where so as to is used in correct answer.

Please take a look at Q67 from OG10 and please note its OE.


sure deowl, i will provide that when i find it. i have seen this usage many time.....



btw, what is OA? and OE too..


"so as to" usage is indeed faulty on GMAT. The correct usage is of the following form.
"so imprcise as to be confusing".
Also, refer to SCs 88, 103 in OG10 for some more information.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 1351
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 May 2006, 07:39
vivek123 wrote:
"so as to" usage is indeed faulty on GMAT. The correct usage is of the following form.
"so imprcise as to be confusing".
Also, refer to SCs 88, 103 in OG10 for some more information.


thanx vivek for providing the link. i couldn't do so cuz i didn't have OG with me..

the idiom "so as to" means "so x as to y".


jzchina, its not good practice to not to post OA and OE on time.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 170
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2006, 14:07
D. makes a logical comparison. "[as hard as to make burrowing difficult or as soft as to cause"

B is wrong because the comparison is wrong "hard enough to make burrowing difficult or soft enough as to cause". the "as" breaks the logical comparison.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 170
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2006, 02:23
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A is wrong because does not respect the comparative form. If you add "not" in the second part of the comparison, the structure will be logical. "because it is not so hard that it makes burrowing difficult or not so soft that it could cause tunnels to collapse.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 16:53
OA is A... had this on my practice exam.

Any help???
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2013
Posts: 54
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.86
WE: Analyst (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [4] , given: 3

Re: Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 19:47
4
This post received
KUDOS
manavkhurana wrote:
OA is A... had this on my practice exam.

Any help???


Check out this link. It has good explanation provided by a Kaplan-GMAT instructor.
http://www.beatthegmat.com/road-t83192.html
_________________

Don't be afraid to fail, but be afraid not to try

Re: Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2013, 19:47
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic An important scientist has hypothesized that the earliest metallicafan 3 24 Jul 2012, 15:22
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Some primate researchers have hypothesized that the macjas 13 31 May 2012, 03:20
The original Hellenistic community was idealized, the kaygas 6 15 Sep 2011, 10:36
Doctors at the CDC have hypothesized that with the current tarek99 8 09 Oct 2008, 16:01
Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal huoguo 2 24 Jun 2007, 05:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 29 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.