Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Researchers in Germany..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 04-09-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Researchers in Germany.. [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 05:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:59) correct 23% (01:24) wrong based on 103 sessions
Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old wooden spears from what it appears was an ancient lakeshore hunitng ground as stunning evidence of human ancestors who systematically hunted big game much earlier than believed.

a) it appears was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground as stunning evidence of human ancestors who
b) it appears had been an ancient lakeshore hunting ground and stunning evidence that human ancestors
c) appears was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground and is stunning evidence that human ancestors
d) appears to be an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, stunning evidence that human ancestors
e) appears that it is an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, stunning evidence of human ancestors who

Does any expert have an explaination for this question?
Thank you
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 2265 [0], given: 691

Re: Researchers in Germany.. [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 08:10
Expert's post
marioslash wrote:
Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old wooden spears from what it appears was an ancient lakeshore hunitng ground as stunning evidence of human ancestors who systematically hunted big game much earlier than believed.

a) it appears was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground as stunning evidence of human ancestors who
b) it appears had been an ancient lakeshore hunting ground and stunning evidence that human ancestors
c) appears was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground and is stunning evidence that human ancestors
d) appears to be an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, stunning evidence that human ancestors
e) appears that it is an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, stunning evidence of human ancestors who

Thank you

in A and B after what it has no sense because IT has an unclear antecedent: it refers to germany. Moreover, it doen'st appear by itself. so out

C D E

C appear was an ancient .........hunting ground.....AND is stunning...... clearly not parallel and the sentence doesn't show a clear meaning

E stunning of human is wrong . simply becasue the eveidence shows something so we need a restrictive pronoun "that". Using OF distort the meaning.

D wins. I admit that this question is pretty tough and convoluted.

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Researchers in Germany.. [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 12:30
Although I marked it correctly, I was in mars while I was inferring the meaning.

Can anyone throw some light on the meaning of the above sentence?

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 2265 [0], given: 691

Re: Researchers in Germany.. [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 12:44
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 34

Re: Researchers in Germany.. [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 06:45
TGC wrote:
Although I marked it correctly, I was in mars while I was inferring the meaning.

Can anyone throw some light on the meaning of the above sentence?

Researchers have found X from (a place ) what appears to be Y (place), STUNning ( Verb+ing modifier modifying entire preceding clause) evidence that (some postulation) human ancestors systematically hunted big game much earlier than believed.

Hope it helps !

Best
MKS
Appreciate it with Kudos !! :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 2

Re: Researchers in Germany.. [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 07:43
MKS wrote:
Researchers have found X from (a place ) what appears to be Y (place), STUNning ( Verb+ing modifier modifying entire preceding clause) evidence that (some postulation) human ancestors systematically hunted big game much earlier than believed.

Actually stunning in this case is not modifying preceding clause; it is just used as a pureplay adjective, modifying the noun evidence (in the sense that the evidence is stunning).

This sentence actually uses an absolute modifier construct (evidence that human ancestors systematically hunted big game much earlier than believed). Absolute modifiers are tested quite extensively on GMAT and test takers must make themselves very comfortable with this construct, especially since this is not a very intuitive construct.

p.s. Absolute modifiers have been discussed in detail in our book. If you can PM me your mail id, I can send the corresponding section to you.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 59

Re: Researchers in Germany.. [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 09:55
marioslash wrote:

Thank you

Meaning: Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,00 -year old wooden spears .
Researchers have unearthed something from some where

in other way around, we can say:

Researchers have unearthed something from that( instead of what) place , which appears to be an ancient lakeshore hunting ground.
" from what appears........hunting ground" acts as a prepositional phrase modifier modifying verb "have earthed", answering the question from where Researchers have unearthed.

"stunning evidence that human ancestors........." is a absolute phrase modifier modifying entire clause.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 185

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Researchers in Germany.. [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2014, 07:59
Unlock the convoluted sentence by referring following examples :

Simple:: I purchased vegetables from a Japanese shop. <<--- I am confident that shop was of a Japanese
Complex:: I purchased vegetables from what appears to be a Japanese shop. <<--- Here I am trying to figure out that it appears to be a Japanese shop.

Choice D is written on similar lines with additional absolute phrase modifier stunning evidence in the end.

Thank by Kudos if above explanation cleared your doubts :)

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: Researchers in Germany..   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2014, 07:59