Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618724 [12]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: Economics, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Residents of an apartment complex are considering two possible plans [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
None of A, B or C could possibly be right, because there's nothing in the stem that tells us why any of those answer choices describe something that would be different under the two plans -- there's no reason to think sorting recyclables is required under one plan and not the other. Only D or E describe situations that are clearly different under the plans. Which answer is correct depends on how much you like rodents, I suppose, and how onerous it would be to obtain the necessary sturdy containers required for plan 2. I'm sure the right answer is E, since plan 1 will attract rodents and presumably rodents are undesirable, but that's the problem with this question: we aren't told what would constitute a successful plan. So there's no logically correct way to answer the question without introducing one's own assumptions about what residents want.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
Send PM
Re: Residents of an apartment complex are considering two possible plans [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Residents of an apartment complex are considering two possible plans for collecting recyclable trash.

Plan 1 - Residents will deposit recyclable trash in municipal dumpsters located in the parking lot. The trash will be collected on the first and the fifteenth days of each month.

Plan 2 - Residents will be given individual containers for recyclable trash. The containers will be placed at the curb twice a week for trash collection.

Which of the following points raised at a meeting of the residents, if valid, would most favor one of the recycling plans over the other?

(A) Residents will be required to exercise care in separating recyclable trash from nonrecyclable trash.

(B) For trash recycling to be successful, residents must separate recyclable bottles and cans from recyclable paper products.

(C) Penalties will be levied against residents who fail to sort their trash correctly.

(D) Individual recycling containers will need to be made of a strong and durable material.

(E) Recyclable trash that is allowed to accumulate for two weeks will attract rodents.

As we need to prefer one plan to another, we will have to find one plan's advantage or disadvantage to another.
Option E directly tells us about the disadvantage Plan 2 possesses, making Plan 1 sound way better.
Any other option here seems to be irrelevant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 477 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Send PM
Residents of an apartment complex are considering two possible plans [#permalink]
Residents of an apartment complex are considering two possible plans for collecting recyclable trash.

Plan 1 - Residents will deposit recyclable trash in municipal dumpsters located in the parking lot. The trash will be collected on the first and the fifteenth days of each month.

Plan 2 - Residents will be given individual containers for recyclable trash. The containers will be placed at the curb twice a week for trash collection.

Which of the following points raised at a meeting of the residents, if valid, would most favor one of the recycling plans over the other?

We need to pick an option that will undermine or strengthen one of the plans
(A) Residents will be required to exercise care in separating recyclable trash from non-recyclable trash.This exercise has to be done in both plans, So it is not helpful

(B) For trash recycling to be successful, residents must separate recyclable bottles and cans from recyclable paper products.Same as A

(C) Penalties will be levied against residents who fail to sort their trash correctly.OFS, No be helpful

(D) Individual recycling containers will need to be made of a strong and durable material.OFS

(E) Recyclable trash that is allowed to accumulate for two weeks will attract rodents.This will weaken point 2. If they go with this plan there is an open issue, So they might prefer plan 1. Hence this is the answer
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts