Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Residents of city Y have more purchasing power than

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Residents of city Y have more purchasing power than [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2006, 08:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
16. Residents of city Y have more purchasing power than residents of cities X and Z. At the same income levels, residents of city Y spend less for food and housing and can therefore purchase more products.
Which of the following inferences is best supported by the statements made above?

a. Residents of city Y have the ability to purchase food and pay for housing considerably less than residents of cities X and Z because food and housing cost less.
b. Residents of city Y do not need to buy as much food and rent/build as big of houses as residents of cities X and Z.
c. City Y has lower sales taxes and cheaper land to build property on, compared to cities X and Z.
d. Residents of city Y do purchase more products than residents of cities X and Z.
e. Residents of city Y pay more for other expenses, compared to residents of cities X and Z.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Club CR Series #16: Residents of City Y [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2006, 11:12
TestWriter wrote:
16. Residents of city Y have more purchasing power than residents of cities X and Z. At the same income levels, residents of city Y spend less for food and housing and can therefore purchase more products.
Which of the following inferences is best supported by the statements made above?

a. Residents of city Y have the ability to purchase food and pay for housing considerably less than residents of cities X and Z because food and housing cost less.
b. Residents of city Y do not need to buy as much food and rent/build as big of houses as residents of cities X and Z.
c. City Y has lower sales taxes and cheaper land to build property on, compared to cities X and Z.
d. Residents of city Y do purchase more products than residents of cities X and Z.
e. Residents of city Y pay more for other expenses, compared to residents of cities X and Z.

D and E are out. passage nowhere mentions that residents do purchase and pay more for other expenses. Passage says that residents have more purchasing power.
C lower sales tax would be an assumption
B No mention

A though awkward seems to be the best. It seems the fact is stated as it is in the paragraph.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2006, 11:28
argh... the inference...

I will go with A... it just restates what the argument is saying... no more no less

b. we know nothing about the "NEED"
c. out of scope... building property? where the hell that come from? :dunnow
d. we can't be sure... it is infrence
e. same as D
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2006, 07:09
I was actually think it is "D".

The inference that the residents of city Y do spend more on products

... is supported by the statement that they have to pay less for food and housing, thereore able to spend more on products

comments?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2006, 09:17
I will go with D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2006, 11:12
I would say it's (A).

I have seen a similar questions with similar logic and it has always been this answer.

(B) is very tricky, but I think the keyword is "need", since we don't know anything about needs of the citizens.
(D) is wrong, because just the fact that someone has more purchasing power doesn't mean that he'll buy more products (he has the possibility to buy more products, but he can also save the money).
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club CR Series #16: Residents of City Y [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2006, 17:11
TestWriter wrote:

This question is almost identical to OG 10th edition question #33
except Y = Rural, X=urban, and Z=suburban

Thought the wording of the answer choices are slightly different...
The focus of the statement is the purchasing power after all the bills/food have been paid for.

A...
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2006, 23:00
Will go with A.

All the other choices raise questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club CR Series #16: Residents of City Y [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2006, 00:15
TestWriter wrote:

I would go with A.
D is wrong, because more-purchase doesn't mean more purchasing power.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2006, 06:21
what about E ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2006, 12:45
shahnandan wrote:
what about E ?

OA please..
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2006, 13:18
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2.5 yrs in manufacturing

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2006, 20:33
u2lover wrote:
argh... the inference...

I will go with A... it just restates what the argument is saying... no more no less

b. we know nothing about the "NEED"
c. out of scope... building property? where the hell that come from? :dunnow
d. we can't be sure... it is infrence
e. same as D

The choice A actually ends saying fud n ...cost less...which is not mentioned in the argument.

I wud go with E
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2006, 01:57
The correct answer is A.
a. Can be easily inferred from the statements.
b. There is no information as to the amount of food and rent in each city, so we cannot compare.
c. Out of scope.
d. A simple restatement of the first sentence.
e. Contradicts the statements and cannot be inferred form the passage.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club CR Series #16: Residents of City Y [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2006, 02:16

(1)P Residents of city Y have more purchasing power than residents of cities X and Z.
(2) P At the same income levels, residents of city Y spend less for food and housing
(3) C therefore purchase more products.

a. Residents of city Y have the ability to purchase food and pay for housing considerably less than residents of cities X and Z because food and housing cost less. not supported by a premise

b. Residents of city Y do not need to buy as much food and rent/build as big of houses as residents of cities X and Z. out of scope

c. City Y has lower sales taxes and cheaper land to build property on, compared to cities X and Z. seems the one support both premises and is clear

d. Residents of city Y do purchase more products than residents of cities X and Z. looking for inference this is included in the passage... is the conclusion

e. Residents of city Y pay more for other expenses, compared to residents of cities X and Z. not giustify first premise neither second

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.â€

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2006, 20:01
Hey Gauss

Dont u think, that the option c is adding extra information, not presented in the argument. I believe that is a typical Gmat trap(by goin beyond the scope of argument and adding new information in the choices)
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2006, 23:05
Raghavender wrote:
Hey Gauss

Dont u think, that the option c is adding extra information, not presented in the argument. I believe that is a typical Gmat trap(by goin beyond the scope of argument and adding new information in the choices)

yes u are right I am just currently studying intensivelly the CR question in a more schematic ways, before I was not trying to lookm at some patterns I basically screw my initial preparation. I have found just few days a go a good CR book it is though but I think is worth while to study on (STUDY not read) it being supplementary to MGMAT CR al the other books are not usefull just waste of money this is Powerscore

I opened it yesterday and you are right this type of question as written falls in the first family question, where no additional info should be supplied in order to answear the flow should be unidirectional
stimulus----->question stem

I will try to come up with something as soon I will be done studying this section of the test ( I will integrate and attachment found in this web site with the most important conclusion of MGMAT and Powerprep).I have tons of other material but I have noticed that are worthless or does not ad relevant information at leasgt to this section and I am talking about books like: PR2006, Arco general, KaplanVerbal, Kap800....

PS Sorry if I make a lo of mistakes at this stage but I do read the other peoples answears but rather try to come up using my own logic of reasoning getting often times out of the flow(only after I reply I read other forum members comments),.... I will need a bit of time to improve my study in order to reach all of your guys level....

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.â€

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 21:11
waiting for OA please..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0