Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 18:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Resources/Advice to Improve Quant Speed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 3.47
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Resources/Advice to Improve Quant Speed [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 06:12
Hi guys,

I have been lurking around for the past month or so and have been using MGMAT books for prep.

My current issue is that I am struggling a bit with my speed on the tests..

When I took the test last month I had the same issue and I didnt answer 2 questions in the quant section. The worst part is I end up finishing the verbal portion of the test with 30-40 minutes left to go all the time :(...

Now when I do practice tests, I end up guessing on the last 7-8 questions.. Before I start guessing, my accuracy is pretty high (90%+) but then of course it drops pretty low.

Any advice on what resources I can use to improve my speed on quant..

D-day for me is April 14 - so I have about 3 weeks left of prep time.. I work a fulltime job with irregular hours so I have at most 2 hours a day during the week and then can do long hours on the weekend.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 898

Kudos [?]: 3822 [0], given: 148

Re: Resources/Advice to Improve Quant Speed [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 21:11
Expert's post
AbeinOhio wrote:
Hi guys,

I have been lurking around for the past month or so and have been using MGMAT books for prep.

My current issue is that I am struggling a bit with my speed on the tests..

When I took the test last month I had the same issue and I didnt answer 2 questions in the quant section. The worst part is I end up finishing the verbal portion of the test with 30-40 minutes left to go all the time :(...

Now when I do practice tests, I end up guessing on the last 7-8 questions.. Before I start guessing, my accuracy is pretty high (90%+) but then of course it drops pretty low.

Any advice on what resources I can use to improve my speed on quant..

D-day for me is April 14 - so I have about 3 weeks left of prep time.. I work a fulltime job with irregular hours so I have at most 2 hours a day during the week and then can do long hours on the weekend.

On my blog, I focus on conceptual understanding of concepts which aids in increasing speed.
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/categor ... er-wisdom/

Also, you can use the quick punt strategy but I would suggest you to first try and increase your speed since you do have some time. Try and use the logical approaches and if you get stuck somewhere, move on after 3 mins max. Do not wrestle with a question for longer than that. One question will not change the game. Why is it that you used to guess in 2 questions a month back but now guess on 7-8? Is it that you are a little more stubborn now since you feel you know the concepts so you should be able to do every question? Not a good idea.

Depending on how you are faring in the last week, you can choose to use the strategy mentioned in the post below.

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2010/10 ... for-field/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Resources/Advice to Improve Quant Speed   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2012, 21:11