Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 May 2015, 02:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Resources for learning number properties

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

Resources for learning number properties [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2015, 18:31
My GMAT is in 2 weeks and I have covered nearly all quant. However, I still struggle with number properties. I understand the basic even-odd/ positive negative problems, however I'm having real hard time with divisibility and primes. I learn through the MGMAT books and tbh, the 5th book on number properties in the MGMAT series largely went over my head (save for combinatorics/probability).

I even saw a tutor for the same but I guess it's just my bad luck that the tutor was very bad at explaining the concepts. She was great at solving questions but I couldn't really explain how to apply the concepts and approach the questions. I sat through a 3-hour number properties webinar by a prep company and most of it was just gibberish to me. Their approach was too formulaic and I just couldn't translate into real hard math that'd help me solve questions.

My question is, is there somewhere (on this forum or web, a guidebook, thread) something that'd help me tackle number properties as quickly and painlessly possible? Specifically, divisibility and primes? I believe my quant prep is complete save for this chink in my armor.

Thanks a bunch!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 95

Kudos [?]: 594 [0], given: 42

Re: Resources for learning number properties [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2015, 21:43
Expert's post
Hi GhostA,

Chances are that you ALREADY know a bunch of Number Property rules (whether you realize it or not). I'm hoping that you can answer a few questions about the work that you've done so far:

1) What resources have you used (besides the MGMAT books)?
2) How well do you normally perform on DS questions? How did you do on DS during your last CAT?
3) Can you recognize Number Property vocabulary when it appears? Can you list any common NP words?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com
http://www.empowergmat.com

EMPOWERgmat GMAT Club Page, Study Plans, & Discounts
http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/empowergmat-discount/?fl=menu

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Resources for learning number properties [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2015, 07:55
Two things I would say here:

One is that I think a big part of number property questions is just having good strategies on DS, since the questions appear more on DS and since they tend to lend themselves to picking numbers, etc. You often do not need to get too technical with the math and break everything down into primes on those questions. Often just good strategic number picking (with a healthy dose of DS know-how) is enough on these questions.

That said, I personally don't like ManhattanGMAT's prime box technique and prefer something that Kaplan used to teach (not sure if they still do). I am not sure if I can do this justice in a post, but let me try. Basically the concept is that a multiple divided by a factor must equal an integer. If you think about that, it is obvious, but it is more about how you apply it. So on a question that asks is 10! a multiple of 2^6, 10! is the multiple and 2^6 is the factor. We don't know yet if 10! is a multiple of 2^6 or if 2^6 is a factor of 10!, but if you break both down into primes it is fairly easy to see - basically you are trying to see if 10! divided by 2^6 would result in an integer. After breaking 10! down you will see that there are 8 2's that will be in the numerator of that equation and of course 2^6 is just 6 2's. So there are enough 2's in the numerator to cancel out the ones in the denominator and if there is no denominator left then the result will definitely be an integer and thus 10! is a multiple of 2^6 and 2^6 is a factor of 10!. Basically you put the multiple on the top, factor on the bottom, and then break everything down into primes to see if you have enough in the numerator to cancel what you have in the denominator.

I am not sure which Kaplan book you might find to give you a better explanation of that, but it is the technique that I use and the one that I teach to my students. Its not the only thing that you might use on divisibility and primes questions, but it would handle many of the tougher ones. But again to reiterate, often these questions, especially when they appear in DS, are really better approached by just good effective number picking.

ReasonGMAT
GMAT Prep with a Focus on Reasoning & Critical Thinking
www.gmattutoringnyc.com

Re: Resources for learning number properties   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2015, 07:55