Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Responding to the publics fascination with-and sometimes

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: threats from asteroids [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 02:10
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I got asked to take this one on by private message, so here I am! This one has me a bit confused. I don't see how the OA can be C. Where is this question from?

Responding to the public’s fascination with-and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may collide with Earth.

A. a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
PROBLEM: "Responding to..." is a participial phrase modifying a noun, so the noun has to come right after the comma. The astronomers responded, not the scale.

B. a scale that astronomers have developed rates how likely it is for a particular asteroid or comet to
PROBLEM: Same as above.

C. astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to
PROBLEM: You can't say "likely...will be to". It's gibberish. Your ear would recognize that if there weren't all those words in between, confusing things. Try a short example. You should always be able to replace "likely" with "probably".
My program determines how likely you will be to love me.
My program determines how probably you will be to love me...MAKES NO SENSE!
E. astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelihood of a particular asteroid or comet that may
PROBLEM: You can't have a likelihood of something that may happen. It's the likelihood that something WILL happen.

-t

Hi Tommy ,you said that one should always be able to replace likely with probably.
But if you consider the following sentence ,the above does not hold true
Courtesy :http://www.yourdictionary.com/examples/likely
He is likely to win the contest
He is probably to win the contest
Also you said
PROBLEM: You can't have a likelihood of something that may happen. It's the likelihood that something WILL happen.
But if you consider the following sentence you will find a few examples where the above does not hold true.
http://www.yourdictionary.com/examples/likelihood
Do search results lead to a likelihood of confusion?
The report notes that recent research has found that programs for offenders with drinking problems can reduce the likelihood of re-offending.
The likelihood of this happening outside three kilometer protection zones is very low.
The output of the risk analysis is an assessment of the likelihood of occurrence for each possible outcome.

Please explain .This is getting murkier

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 316

Kudos [?]: 660 [2] , given: 11

Re: threats from asteroids [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Munda,

First point. There are a few ways to use the word "likely", (one as a fill in for "probably": He is likely going to eat the chicken; one as a fill in for "probably going to": He is likely to eat the chicken; and one a fill-in for simply "probable": "It is likely."), but the sentence above uses it incorrectly in all senses. You can't talk about "how likely X will be to happen." You say "X is likely to happen." Or "Let's see how likely X is to happen." Not WILL BE.

Second point. None of your examples go against what I said. You can't have a likelihood of something THAT MAY HAPPEN. That's how it's put in answer choice E, "the likelihood of X that may happen."

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: threats from asteroids [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 10:53
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Munda,

First point. There are a few ways to use the word "likely", (one as a fill in for "probably": He is likely going to eat the chicken; one as a fill in for "probably going to": He is likely to eat the chicken; and one a fill-in for simply "probable": "It is likely."), but the sentence above uses it incorrectly in all senses. You can't talk about "how likely X will be to happen." You say "X is likely to happen." Or "Let's see how likely X is to happen." Not WILL BE.

Second point. None of your examples go against what I said. You can't have a likelihood of something THAT MAY HAPPEN. That's how it's put in answer choice E, "the likelihood of X that may happen."

-t

Hi tommy so what u mean is that
1) First point "will be " should be avoided
2)Second point "that may" is to avoided
Thanks

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Responding to the publics fascination with-and sometimes [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 06:01
A and B both say that the scale responds to the public's fascination. Incorrect.
E. Using 'likelihood' and 'may' in the same sentence is redundant. Incorrect. Use 'the likelihood that something will happen', or 'the likelihood of something happening' instead.

Last edited by AndrewGate on 21 Oct 2013, 00:02, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

Re: Responding to the publics fascination with-and sometimes [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 12:07
OA is D. This question is from GMATPrep Test Pack 1.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Responding to the publics fascination with-and sometimes [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 22:40
This is from the Official GMAT Exam pack 1. The OA is 'D'. 'likelihood that x will do something'. Not 'likelihood of a comet (that may collide). It's not about the likelihood of comet. I think C is wrong because it should be 'to rate / for rating how likely x will do something'. Not 'how likely x will be to do something'.

Posted from my mobile device Image
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: threats from asteroids [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 13:42
aknine wrote:
I agree with D

Responding to the public’s fascination with-and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet will collide with Earth.

C is the clear winner here.
Cheers
J :)
Re: threats from asteroids   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2013, 13:42