Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Resume Application .. advise needed.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Resume Application .. advise needed. [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 17:11
Hello everyone.

I am currently working on applications for several MBA programs.

I have been in touch with some people that offer their services as consultans.
I am a bit worried about my resume, I am not sure how my academic, work, and international experiences. Could reflect the following.

1- Show that I am carrer focus
2. Show that I am a leader. or at least the qualities needed to become a leader and the dedication to develop those abilities.

I was hoping that some member of the club could give his personal opinion or share his or her experience with this kind of services.

Thanks in advance
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 537 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Application .. advise needed. [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 00:40
Expert's post
davidlf wrote:
Hello everyone.

I am currently working on applications for several MBA programs.

I have been in touch with some people that offer their services as consultans.
I am a bit worried about my resume, I am not sure how my academic, work, and international experiences. Could reflect the following.

1- Show that I am carrer focus
2. Show that I am a leader. or at least the qualities needed to become a leader and the dedication to develop those abilities.

I was hoping that some member of the club could give his personal opinion or share his or her experience with this kind of services.

Thanks in advance

Well you need to do this by a) highlighting the moment achievements and responsibilities in your career that are linked to leadership b) building a story within your resume which all leads to one conclusion - that of your specific goal.

If you are interested, you are always welcome to submit your resume and we can help you out: http://admissionado.com/mba/services-pr ... e-editing/

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 1

Re: Resume Application .. advise needed. [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 05:36
Expert's post
Hey David,

Jon is spot on - the resume really is the introduction to your application. It's there to serve as the hook and communicate some key themes quickly and with impact. If you're interested, I recently wrote a post about the resume and its role which you can find here.

If you'd like to learn more about our resume review services, I'd like to invite you to click here.

Cheers,

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Resume Application .. advise needed. [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 22:51
Hello davidlf,

I am sure you would have developed a fairly good idea of how to compose your resume after going through the advice and links posted by Jon and Bhavik. However, here are a few basic points that you may find useful:
1. Use powerful action verbs to begin bullet points when you are listing your responsibilities in the work experience section. The idea is to convey leadership, active contribution, and impact.
2. If you have been promoted within the organisation, please ensure your job description (under each designation) shows growth/progress in terms of incremental responsibilities and scope of work.
3. Have an Awards & Achievements section in the resume.
4. Quantify your responsibilities and achievements as far as possible. If you do not have the exact figures for everything, even approximate values would do. This will help the ad com to understand the magnitude of your work and the results achieved.
5. If you have been the first or the only one to have done/achieved something (academic, professional, extracurricular), highlight this.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Sinchita Ganguly
Admissions Advisor
Manya - The Princeton Review

Re: Resume Application .. advise needed.   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2013, 22:51