Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 05:49
refurb wrote:
That's exactly how I felt. I saw the Stanford Law degree, the job at CNN, the singing/instruments, the multiple languages and I'm thinking "Wow, this guy is good!"

Then I see the "Who wants to be a millionaire" and I think I yelled out loud "Oh come on!!!!!" :x :x

RF

Note that he doesn't mention how far he got on Millionaire...maybe he flunked out on the $500 question?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Haas, Anderson, Booth, Kellogg MMM, Stanford
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 09:27
WITWICS was perhaps the best after school show next to MacGyver. Nobody ever won the final game though. I drove me nuts, but when someone actually put down that last post on the map successfully it was a powerful feeling. The computer game was also rock solid, but will never touch the original Oregon Trail.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2009, 03:17
msday wrote:
refurb wrote:
That's exactly how I felt. I saw the Stanford Law degree, the job at CNN, the singing/instruments, the multiple languages and I'm thinking "Wow, this guy is good!"

Then I see the "Who wants to be a millionaire" and I think I yelled out loud "Oh come on!!!!!" :x :x

RF

Note that he doesn't mention how far he got on Millionaire...maybe he flunked out on the $500 question?

He got pretty far :)

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2009, 05:18
nink wrote:
highhopes wrote:
Me too, but I kind of feel like it's a little ridiculous to put that in your additional activities, like it's something you do in your spare time. And was it with Regis or Meredith Veiera? Because there's so a difference.

Ehhh, did I mention that I was on that PBS show "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" back in elementary school? :-D

If I mentioned that on my resume for Tuck, I am sure I would have gotten in....DARN!

Get out - seriously?! nink - that is 10 times cooler who wants to be a millionaire.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2009, 05:58
When I was little I won two prizes off of Radio Disney... highlight of my life
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2009, 11:49
bipolarbear wrote:
When I was little I won two prizes off of Radio Disney... highlight of my life

Im really hoping that you dont have to be this good to get into wharton...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 03:10
bipolarbear wrote:
edit: since the first link didn't work, here is an upload of an old file
http://senduit.com/4c3c67

This link isnt working also. is there any other link/uploads?

Thanks
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 07:30
Wow, these are really impressive resumes. No wonder I got dinged without an interview. I feel so much better now. Puzzle solved!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 18:30
nink wrote:
Ehhh, did I mention that I was on that PBS show "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" back in elementary school? :-D

If I mentioned that on my resume for Tuck, I am sure I would have gotten in....DARN!

Funny you mention this. I was just watching this show somewhere on the internet with my wife a few weeks ago! Apparently, she somehow missed this show when growing up, and always looked at me weird when we would decide where to go to dinner and I would say "Ok, do it Rockapella!" One day she asked me why on earth I kept saying that, so I enlightened her. She's totally a fan now.
Current Student
Schools: Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 10:13
riverripper wrote:
Guys there are always the people in any class who have some huge wow factor...the person who was an emmy award winner, the professional athlete, top gun fighter pilot who flew numerous combat missions...in the end they are normal people just like you. For everyone of them there are a lot of people who worked at good jobs, went to good schools, did well at everything in life but aren't what you would call mind boggling. The funny thing is if you talk to the people who on paper sound amazingly impressive; usually they make what they did sound rather normal and at times boring.

I agree with this 100%. It's all about how you make yourself sound on paper. Sometimes things that are only moderately impressive in real life sound mind bogglingly amazing on paper depending on how you communicate it.
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 13:48
Lets see, wow factor...?

Went to a large state school in the upper Midwest (albeit a top public)...nope

Currently work for a large IT consulting firm doing systems implementations, not exacty my forte being that I'm a Management major...nope

Scored a 710 on my GMAT...not exactly rockstar but I'm ok with that part

I'm Platinum Elite for Northwest, does that count? How about pulling someone out of a burning car, too morbid?

I need to save Darfur.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2009, 00:21
ACNguy wrote:
Lets see, wow factor...?

Went to a large state school in the upper Midwest (albeit a top public)...nope

Currently work for a large IT consulting firm doing systems implementations, not exacty my forte being that I'm a Management major...nope

Scored a 710 on my GMAT...not exactly rockstar but I'm ok with that part

I'm Platinum Elite for Northwest, does that count? How about pulling someone out of a burning car, too morbid?

I need to save Darfur.

pulling someone out of a burning car is actually pretty cool.

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2009, 10:15
Audio wrote:
pulling someone out of a burning car is actually pretty cool.

thats true - Im guessing that this resume book only reflects the top 20% of the class leaving space for smart but regular people to fill up the other spaces. Or maybe its wishful thinking??
Manager
Manager
Schools: Georgetown '11

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2009, 20:57
nink wrote:
highhopes wrote:
Me too, but I kind of feel like it's a little ridiculous to put that in your additional activities, like it's something you do in your spare time. And was it with Regis or Meredith Veiera? Because there's so a difference.

Really? My freshman year of college there were Two Junior advisors (junios who lived with the freshmen to help acclimate them to college) who were on the same episode of that show. My JA decided to go to maryland with his free trip....we gave him so much shit for that.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2009, 21:32
Anyone got an alternative for the first link?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2009, 10:09
Hi, if someone could repost the resume book that would be really appreciated

As far as the discussion on impressiveness, its a combination of both the substance and the presentation. IMO, anything you do can be impressive - as long as you strive to be - and are - one of the best at it.

Taking leadership on closing a $100k deal in a small company - one thats a make or a break for it, is a lot better than photocopying a $100m contract
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 2

Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 05:34
This post received
KUDOS
Tarmac wrote:
Wharton is a bit of a factory, there are plenty of pretty average profiles there.

Harvard and Stanford on the other hand, those are pretty consistently spectacular, unless URM or female.

No one else seemed to mind this comment, but hey: URMs and females, believe it or not, can also have spectacular profiles. I really doubt HBS, Stanford, etc. are lowering their standards a lot, across the board, for these groups. :roll:

Anyway, true story while we're talking about game show stuff: I have a friend applying to business school in the fall of 2010 and he won Guts! He OWNS a piece of the Aggro Crag. It never ceases to impress me.

"Bee" your best!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 12:09
ElleBee wrote:
Anyway, true story while we're talking about game show stuff: I have a friend applying to business school in the fall of 2010 and he won Guts! He OWNS a piece of the Aggro Crag. It never ceases to impress me.

wow... "d-d-d-d-do you have? GUTS!!!" talk about a substantial accomplishment lol
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 17:07
TL wrote:
ElleBee wrote:

wow... "d-d-d-d-do you have? GUTS!!!" talk about a substantial accomplishment lol

Hahaha, yeah, that's the one. I remember being, like, 7 when the show was on and being TERRIFIED of the Aggro Crag. That "Legends of the Hidden Temple" (or something like that) really seemed like scary shows to me. I think I scare easily though.

"Bee" your best!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 11:18
This was helpful. Thanks!
Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2009, 11:18