Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 03:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Resume for MBA Admissions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Resume for MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2006, 09:53
Folks,
Most applications ask you to upload the resume.
Does anyone know of a particular format that schools like?

Ofcourse, since we are not applying for a job, it should loook different. I was wondering if there are tempates out there or if someone can point me to one?

And why do some universities still want resume, when the applications have questions on employment history and responsibilities as well as extra-curricular activies??

Thanks!!

-Hindustan
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2006, 22:34
Guys, need help and reply to this post. :-)
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2006, 23:45
Hi hindustan,

Schools ask resume to find out how you will approach a prospective employer while you are pursuing your mba. Obviously schools would like to admit applicants whose resumes look attractive to prospective employers. More than the resume format, they need to know how best yet simple, you are able to sell yourself. The format for writing a resume is similar to job apps resume.

Well i think this is the reason that schools ask resume.. would welcome any comments[:)]

cheers
sid
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2006, 11:13
Thanks Sid.

That does help.

So does that mean that the MBA resume should still have an objective title: example:

Objective: To seek an exignent position in XXX, by YYY....ZZZ.

Having as above looks like i am applying for a job, but in reality its just school, so i should not have the objective title?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1512 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2006, 14:10
Hindustan wrote:
Thanks Sid.

That does help.

So does that mean that the MBA resume should still have an objective title: example:

Objective: To seek an exignent position in XXX, by YYY....ZZZ.

Having as above looks like i am applying for a job, but in reality its just school, so i should not have the objective title?

No. Also, for hte love of god, don't use the word exigent. It REEKS of thesaurus.

Here is my advice.

Remember a few things.

1) Your objective here is not to get a job, its to get into graduate school.
2) With that in mind, write more about your leadership and less about your day to day tactical responsibilities.
3) Remember that the adcom may not be in your field, so telling him/her that you developed a "bifurcated distilling multi optional drill bit" probably won't mean a thing. Similarly, they are going to care less if you have experience with "C++/Java/COBOL/PASCAL" whatever, again, because it means little to them other than "It's a programming language". Your job title would make it clear you are a developer anyway. Specific skills in this regard aren't going to win you jack.
Focus less on industry terminology and more on selling yourself. For example, lets say you are in the car manufacturing industry, if an interviewer asked you about your role you might say "I developed Ford's double intake valve for us in the RJ392 engine, increasing airflow and fluid viscosity by 22%." Great for the interviewer who knows about that. Bad for the adcom. If someone you never met asked you what you did for Ford, you'd reply: "I developed a modifcation for the engine you probably have in your focus. It reduces the reaction time between you push the pedal and the car snaps forward. Makes it snappier." Good. You are almost there. Now, take that and make it a real improvement as if you wanted to impress. "Developed new engine technology increasing vehicle responsiveness by roughly 22%. My design is now part of every Ford Focus made."

Take the first statement:
"I developed Ford's double intake valve for us in the RJ392 engine, increasing airflow and fluid viscosity by 22%."

And the last:
"Developed new engine technology increasing vehicle responsiveness by roughly 22%. My design is now part of every Ford Focus made."

Same thing right? But what packs more punch?

Lets do the same for computer science for, I don't know, Geico.

"Utilized .NET 2.0 framework to develop new ASP.NET driven customer focused website on a SQL Server 2000 backend."

Yawn.

What do you do for Geico again?

"I developed a new website for their customers to use."

Great, now tell me again what you do for Geico, but impress me.

"Developed new website for global rollout of claims processing at Geico. The website now recieves over a half million visitors a year, is utilized by a staff of over 2,000 global claims officers, and process up to $100M in claims a year. This reduced claim turnaround time from an average of 14 days to 3."

Get it yet?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 22:46
Great post rhyme,

absolutely right in what you said. Most important characteristics of a resume is that it should be clear and specific, Clear so that the adcoms can understand the business, specific so that you point out your achievements, not just give a generic description.

cheers,
sid
  [#permalink] 27 Sep 2006, 22:46