Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Resume formats for apps and recommenders

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

Resume formats for apps and recommenders [#permalink] New post 24 May 2009, 13:35
Hey guys, quick question to you all. Im about to start revamping my resumes for the upcoming apps, as well as to provide my recommenders. I found a ton of useful info and discussion on the board from past app seasons, but one thing I wasnt entirely clear on was what format did you guys use when submitting resumes ?

I did manage to find the resume books of some b-schools, so did you tailor your resume format on a per school basis ? If so, what did you do about the schools for which you couldn't get a resume book ? And finally, for those of you who did provide your recommenders with a resume, what format did you use there ? Im squeezing everything onto one page, as it seems to be a good rule of thumb to follow.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

Re: Resume formats for apps and recommenders [#permalink] New post 24 May 2009, 15:51
Keep everything on one page - that seems to be the golden rule. Although in Europe is seen everything, even 4-5 pages, US schools are very clear when it comes to resume. Pack your contact information tight in the header, then present the rest in the order: Education, Work experience and Other.

Although there are some argues whether Education or WE should come first, I've read somewhere that you should put education first when you are applying for b-school because education is something you are "looking for" from them. When you apply for a position, you should put your WE first. That explanation sounded very reasonable for me.

I've found couple of resume books and they seemed pretty much the same to me. I haven't noticed some major differences? I could say I used something that was very similar to Wharton's and Tuck's resume book and I used it both for US and Euro school I applied to.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Resume formats for apps and recommenders [#permalink] New post 24 May 2009, 18:57
I used a one page format, fairly similar to the standard Kellogg format. I think if you do a search of the forum, you can find it laid out somewhere.

I gave my recommenders the same version of the resume that I gave the schools. I also gave them a document, highlighting key experience and goals. In Kryzak's knowledge vault, there are links to suggestions for the type of information those documents should contain.
SVP
SVP

Re: Resume formats for apps and recommenders [#permalink] New post 24 May 2009, 19:34
Thanks, guys. The plan is definitely to stick to one page, and I have read arguments both for and against putting education first. The way I have it right now, W/E is first, then education, then others (i.e. hobbies and extracurriculars).

I wasnt able to find the Kellogg format anywhere, but let me try searching again.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Re: Resume formats for apps and recommenders [#permalink] New post 24 May 2009, 21:55
any special tips on having 1 employer resumes? I have 1 employer since graduating from college, and also had 2 technical (CompSci) internships during college? Should I leave only my full time employer on my resume? How can I use only 1 employer to fill a page?
Current Student
Schools: HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Resume formats for apps and recommenders [#permalink] New post 24 May 2009, 22:20
I had a one employer resume..focus on the details of the role..if you had multiple roles..discuss them separately..feel free to pm me..

depending on the number of years experience..i dont think there is much value in discussing internships..
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: Resume formats for apps and recommenders [#permalink] New post 24 May 2009, 22:58
LBS is one page - very strict, but you can take some liberties with font size etc. I had to fit 9 years WE and 7-8 different roles in 1 page. Good luck :P Put education first if you have been working for less than 2-3 years and if your undergrad is particularly impressive. Otherwise, put work experience first.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Resume formats for apps and recommenders [#permalink] New post 25 May 2009, 03:15
I had a 1 employer resume, and listed each of my 2 positions with that employer separately so I could talk about each separately. My layout and approximate % of space on the page was:

Header (contact info)-5%
Education-10% (listed basic info: degree, majors, GPA, scholarships & honors)
Work experience-50% (brief overview of responsibilities for each role, with more space devoted to accomplishments)
Extracurriculars-35% (overview of involvement & detailed accompishments)

Even though I agree since it's a academic resume the education section should come before w/e, I wanted to highlight my w/e and extracurriculars more than education in my resume, both because I graduated from undergrad 8 years ago and also because with transcripts and other academic info elsewhere in the application, I didn't want to devote valuable real estate here to duplicative info.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP

Re: Resume formats for apps and recommenders [#permalink] New post 25 May 2009, 05:26
My resume had:
- header - 5%
- education - 15%
- WE (full time, two key internships) - 65%
- ECs - 15%

I've had only one full-time employer since college but had three separate roles at that company (the one I was hired into, then two subsequent promotions). I broke out the roles, and had 3-4 bullet points underneath each one, describing my key achievements. I also included two key internships, one demonstrating my int'l experience and another that highlighted some analytical work that I did. Each of these had 2-3 bullet points as well.

Oh and also, all my bullet points followed the STAR format: situation, task, action and result.
SVP
SVP

Re: Resume formats for apps and recommenders [#permalink] New post 25 May 2009, 06:36
isa, thats a good point about the STAR format. I hadnt taken that into account; can you give an example ?

So far Ive focused on using action words to start off every bullet, like 'led', or 'developed', and have tried to remove as much technical language and focus on the impact of the actions
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, MIT, NYU
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 12

Re: Resume formats for apps and recommenders [#permalink] New post 25 May 2009, 08:37
where can I find resume books. I tried searching this forum but couldn't find any :(
SVP
SVP

Re: Resume formats for apps and recommenders [#permalink] New post 25 May 2009, 08:58
cozmo, do a search on the forum for Tuck resume book and Wharton resume book. I found those two posted here from a couple of years ago. Id get you the links, but Im too lazy and late for a meeting :D
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Re: Resume formats for apps and recommenders [#permalink] New post 25 May 2009, 09:55
Here is a link I found from Foster about the STAR format:

http://bschool.washington.edu/career/BC ... Resume.pdf
SVP
SVP

Re: Resume formats for apps and recommenders [#permalink] New post 26 May 2009, 05:52
pmenon wrote:
isa, thats a good point about the STAR format. I hadnt taken that into account; can you give an example ?

So far Ive focused on using action words to start off every bullet, like 'led', or 'developed', and have tried to remove as much technical language and focus on the impact of the actions

They're probably not that great but a couple of examples from my resume: (I took out the numbers and replaced them with letters)
- Re-engineered and optimized system usage in a large organization of X hospitals and Y clinics; resulted in increased system adoption among clinical users from Z% to W%
- Manage an X-member multi-product team in the design and implementation of a $Y million electronic medical records project in a large organization of Q hospitals and W clinics
- Managed a team of X analysts in rapid implementation of electronic medical records at a Y-bed hospital; achieved client goals Z% under budget and in a considerably shortened timeline

Some opening words for bullet on my resume: managed, led, supervised, designed, coordinated, achieved.
Re: Resume formats for apps and recommenders   [#permalink] 26 May 2009, 05:52