Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Resume.. I am an idiot

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 78600

CAT Tests
Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 11:29
Well, there's nothing I can do about it now. But I submitted my resume as 2 pages to schools with no limits. I searched the whole board and internet now about the standard 1 page resume and know I majorly goofed. I even had people critique it and no one said anything. In hindsight.. I feel okay because I worked on so many diverse projects so I wanted to highlight my management and strategic roles, and I also changed jobs a few times- but I know everyone has to slim it down so I should have been able to as well.

:(. I'm such an idiot. I hope this won't get me dinged.

Ok I am going to go crawl into a corner now.. <sigh>. :(
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 11:48
Hi Jlola,

Maybe you can email the schools and ask them if they can replace your resume. I know people have done this in the past when the applications had already gone in for things like recommendations, etc. Doesn't hurt to ask :)

CAT Tests
Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 11:51
Meowzilla wrote:
Hi Jlola,

Maybe you can email the schools and ask them if they can replace your resume. I know people have done this in the past when the applications had already gone in for things like recommendations, etc. Doesn't hurt to ask :)

Do you think it is that bad to warrent that? I would like to avoid doing that because it would look like I wasn't prepared. I know it isn't ideal to go past 1 page, but as a consultant it was so hard, on top of holding 3 different concurrent management positions in the past year along with my past experience, and long government agency names as clients. I don't know.. yikes I am freaking out. My resume is still succinct and to the point at least.. I am not rattling off with no purpose so to speak lol. <sigh>
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 11:54
If the schools had no limits (ie didn't say "1 page resume"), I don't think it's the end of the world that you submitted a 2 pager. If you're really worried about it, you could try calling and asking that a more updated one be added to your app....If you have other apps to work on, I'd focus my attention on those and move on....

PS I'm a first time applicant like you so take these suggestions however you will.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 11:57
Wait! If I'm reading this correctly, you followed the rules right? You didn't send a 2 page resume to a school that specifically limited it to one page?

If so, you're blowing this way out of proportion!

Just because you can fit everything in one page doesn't magically make your resume better. I stuck to the one-page resume because I knew a few of the schools I was applying to limited it to one page. It was just easier than have two different resumes.

Considering the content would likely be very similar (if you went back and reduced it one page) I wouldn't worry about it at all.

The adcom isn't going to hold up your resume (2 pages), then another guys (1 page) and say "This is a easy decision!" and ding you right there!

I swear, the whole b-school application process really messes with peoples heads! (mine included!)

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CAT Tests
Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 12:00
LOL thanks everyone... I think I am just going to keep it as is. You're right, it isn't the end of the world. If an adcom's decision came down to a 1 vs 2 page resume than other aspects of my application were obviously not strong enough.

Okay I am moving on :) thanks guys!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1430 [0], given: 2

Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 12:19
So, even if there are no limits imposed, you shouldn't submit a resume longer than 1 page??
Who said so? This makes no sense to me. It's like when you are looking for a job and those career consultants are advising you to stick to a 1-page resume. Absolute BS. Now that I interview candidates myself, I rarely see any decent 1-page resumes which give any even remotely clear or complete picture of the candidate's abilities or achievement.

Chinese Democracy is misunderstood...at your nearest BestBuy.

Best AWA guide here: how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

VP
VP

Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 12:24
jlola21 wrote:

Trust me, that's the healthiest thing.

I'm having a hell of a time letting go after I submit an app. I keep thinking "may I should have said this instead!".

It's almost like the stress increases after I submit an app because now I can't make any changes.

On the other hand, the whole experience is helping me to develop good stress-reduction techniques (i.e. beer drinking). :drunk

RF

CAT Tests
Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 12:31
refurb wrote:
jlola21 wrote:

Trust me, that's the healthiest thing.

I'm having a hell of a time letting go after I submit an app. I keep thinking "may I should have said this instead!".

It's almost like the stress increases after I submit an app because now I can't make any changes.

On the other hand, the whole experience is helping me to develop good stress-reduction techniques (i.e. beer drinking). :drunk

RF

ahahaha oh my goodness, tell me about it. I am with you on the good stress-reduction techniques. It is hard to let go, and then when you realize you can't do anything about it, you ask yourself - why am I stressing, but then keep stressing about it anyway. :)

I feel like I haven't seen my friends in so long! At least with 4 apps in and I'm almost done with Duke's, my life will be back to normal soon!
VP
VP

Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 12:56
jlola21 wrote:
I feel like I haven't seen my friends in so long! At least with 4 apps in and I'm almost done with Duke's, my life will be back to normal soon!

You're lucky! I am not a very good writer and I find the whole process very taxing. I'm working on my Tuck essays for the Nov 12th R1 deadline, then will immediately start on my last two apps which are due the first week of January.

I won't be back to normal until next year!!

RF

Current Student
Schools: HBS '11
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 14:24
I wouldn't worry about it. HBS for example states specifically 2 page resumes are fine and I have friends that have gotten in there with 2 pagers.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 14:55
don't worry, i know a guy who got into H/S and MIT with a 2-page resume. it's not a big deal at all.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 15:01
Dont sweat it at all. I had a two pager. Its not a job application.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 15:39
No school will ding a qualified applicant because they submitted a two-page resume. Don't sweat it!
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 17:55
I submitted mostly 2-page resumes to schools except for Wharton, which requires a 1-page resume. What others schools have this requirement?

CAT Tests
Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 18:06
sonibubu wrote:
I submitted mostly 2-page resumes to schools except for Wharton, which requires a 1-page resume. What others schools have this requirement?

For me just Duke, I believe MIT does too.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: Resume.. I am an idiot [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 18:09
LBS also specifically requires a 1 pager - which I created and tried to use everywhere. However, I dont think 2 pager is a big deal. Don't worry about it.
Re: Resume.. I am an idiot   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2008, 18:09