Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Resume Length

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Resume Length [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 10:11
Hi all,

I am trying to get my resume in order and I was having difficulty paring it down. I have heard that the rule of thumb is no more than 1 page? Is it safe to say that one should eliminate all activities that pre-date college?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Length [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 10:33
Yes, most likely. If you're just out of college with minimal post-college experience, then reconsider. But in that case you probably wouldn't have much trouble keeping it to 1 page in the first place.

Two other things that might help scrounge up some space, but that you might have done already: leave out an "objective" section and "references on request" line. The former should be adequately addressed in a cover letter (or just plain obvious) and the latter is assumed.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Length [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 11:58
Dont go beyond 1 page unless you have Phd and tons of publications or something crazy like that.

Nothing before college qualifies. If you have worked for a few years dont use anything from college. You can write about those in essays but your resume should be professional accomplishments.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Length [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 12:04
When you get to school, it will be one page - be you 22 or 32. You have to make do with what you have, delete stuff, summarize stuff like noone's business.

It is not a pleasant operation. And when I finish the summer, I have to find space for that. Which will leave about 2 lines on my first job (which sucks, as it was pretty great for leading chat).

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Length [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 12:41
keep it to one page. I have a masters and 7 years of WE and I got it down to 1. Though with the MBA extra education space, I'll have to pare it down even more... :(

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Length [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 23:33
kryzak wrote:
Though with the MBA extra education space, I'll have to pare it down even more... :(

That's my concern as well. But I guess the guys in the recruitment office will show us some tricks :wink:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Length [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 12:55
1 page is appropriate for MBA applications. Later on, I think the rule of thumb is 1 page for every 10 years of experience.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Length [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 13:00
By MBA applications, do you mean applying to B-school or rectuiting while in school?
pelihu wrote:
1 page is appropriate for MBA applications. Later on, I think the rule of thumb is 1 page for every 10 years of experience.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Resume Length [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 18:25
I used a two page resume for my MBA apps, although I'll be shortening it to one page once I start my program. Being a non-traditional applicant with a wide variety of research and entrepreneurial experience, I wanted to make sure that all of my activities were adequately explained. That being said, anything pre college should be cut and if you can cut it down to one page, you probably should.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Length [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 18:44
What about WE during summers in college? does that no longer count if you have post-college full time experience? :(
thanks!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Length [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 19:01
ac8706 wrote:
What about WE during summers in college? does that no longer count if you have post-college full time experience? :(
thanks!

We had an exercise in a leadership class where, in small groups, we looked over dozens and dozens resumes from MBA students. Kind of a 'what would you do as an HR manager' type of deal. Compared with the quality of experiences that most MBA students have (especially at top schools), summer/part-time/internship experiences during and before college really pale in comparison. Good MBA resumes are packed with impressive relevant details and when people included earlier experiences, it was kind of a running joke that they didn't have much to share in their resumes. I think 1 of 15/20 resumes included college experience, and those pretty much all came from people with three years or less of work experience.

Regarding length, I think resumes for MBA applications and those used for MBA recruiting should both be one page. In fact, there shouldn' be much difference because you'll start looking for a job a few weeks after to step onto campus.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Resume Length [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 19:07
Should ideally be one page. Can go upto 2 pages ( Avoid it if possible . )

An MBA resume should ideally only highligh achievements , with basic overview of job responsibilities ,academic background, Mention GPA , or rank if worth mentioning only , else avoid, Mention GMAT score if on the higher side > 99th percentile or above, else avoid. Incase some award , paper publication in college was awarded mention it ) , mention languages, and extracurricular intrests.

To save space :- Mention intrests and languages in one line

ie.
Languages
English ( Excellent) , Hindi ( Native) , French ( Intermediate ) , Arabic ( Basic)

It should be in reverse chronological order . Current job mentioned first.

Also try to quanity as much as possible your achievements , including the projects you have worked on in you work ex.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Length [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 06:43
bhatiagp wrote:
Should ideally be one page. Can go upto 2 pages ( Avoid it if possible . )

An MBA resume should ideally only highligh achievements , with basic overview of job responsibilities ,academic background, Mention GPA , or rank if worth mentioning only , else avoid, Mention GMAT score if on the higher side > 99th percentile or above, else avoid. Incase some award , paper publication in college was awarded mention it ) , mention languages, and extracurricular intrests.

To save space :- Mention intrests and languages in one line

ie.
Languages
English ( Excellent) , Hindi ( Native) , French ( Intermediate ) , Arabic ( Basic)

It should be in reverse chronological order . Current job mentioned first.

Also try to quanity as much as possible your achievements , including the projects you have worked on in you work ex.

For an MBA resume, above 3.0, put your GPA. Same for GMAT, above 650, put it down. Actually, education should be at the top for an MBA resume, then your work experience. Also, as for languages, only put them down if you are an intermediate level or above. If you can say 30 words in French, don't include French on your resume. You wouldn't want an interviewer to start an interview speaking French and you look like an idiot when you have no idea what they are saying. Then, your first words in the interview are: 'I really don't know that much French'
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resume Length [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 07:16
thanks for the pointers everyone ... now I need to get down to revising my resume. Any volunteers for critiques. It would be much appreciated ... be as critical as you can!!!

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Re: Resume Length   [#permalink] 05 May 2008, 07:16