Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 07:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

resume question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

resume question [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 12:04
I am in the process of (re-)doing my resume and would appreciate informed and experienced opinions from this forum.

This question may sound overly simplistic but I had heard (from a thread here) that one should not use words like "responsibilities included ..." or "duties included so so.." in the resume and should instead use "lead". However many resumes in the Tuck resume book seem to use "responsibilities". What is the bias against "responsbility"?

Also, how can one obtain resume books for h s w etc?

Thanks..
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: resume question [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
jk12 wrote:
I am in the process of (re-)doing my resume and would appreciate informed and experienced opinions from this forum.

This question may sound overly simplistic but I had heard (from a thread here) that one should not use words like "responsibilities included ..." or "duties included so so.." in the resume and should instead use "lead". However many resumes in the Tuck resume book seem to use "responsibilities". What is the bias against "responsbility"?

Thanks..

I don't know where you can obtain resume books for schools.

As for the bias against the words "responsibilities include" is because it's wasted words. The business school resume should be accomplishment focused. Leading, creating, initiating, reducing, increasing, managing etc. If you want to have at least one bullet stating your job responsibilities that's fine too. However, you can just state them without wasting words on "responsible for" or something like that. If you're responsible for being a liason between two departments then simply say, "Liason between marketing and finance departments for $200MM product lines including technology and services" or something like that. Even better if you could say something like "Foster collaboration between..." Think of the resume as your greatest hits page. You can use the employment portion of the application to delve more into your duties and responsibilities.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: resume question [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 21:18
cheetarah1980 wrote:
jk12 wrote:

Thanks..

I don't know where you can obtain resume books for schools.

As for the bias against the words "responsibilities include" is because it's wasted words. The business school resume should be accomplishment focused. Leading, creating, initiating, reducing, increasing, managing etc. If you want to have at least one bullet stating your job responsibilities that's fine too. However, you can just state them without wasting words on "responsible for" or something like that. If you're responsible for being a liason between two departments then simply say, "Liason between marketing and finance departments for $200MM product lines including technology and services" or something like that. Even better if you could say something like "Foster collaboration between..." Think of the resume as your greatest hits page. You can use the employment portion of the application to delve more into your duties and responsibilities.

thanks for the good explanation.
How much of a hit is it to go below 10pt TNR (54 lines in one page) in resume? That would make resume look really different format than others, do not know if it a good thing. Some resume in Tuck resume book are clearly very small (about 8 pt TNR).
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: resume question [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 02:37
Don't go under 10 pt. font. Play with the margins and line spacing. I fit 9 years of work experience+education+work experience on one page with a 10.5 font. I am going to assume that you're career hasn't been as long. You should have no problem getting everything on one page with at least 10 point font. This is about being selective and concise with what you convey to the admissions committee.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: resume question [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 09:11
Here's a random link for a resume book I found a few years ago. Lots of good examples.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/59526558/Resume-Book-GBC-2008

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: resume question [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 14:42
It's more important to show your accomplishments than your responsibilities in your resume for business school (probably for anywhere!). Maybe that's the issue you're referring to?

For example:
-Supervised 8 people (responsibility)
-Supervised a team of 8 people who increased sales by 20% (accomplishment)

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: resume question [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 15:04
machichi wrote:
It's more important to show your accomplishments than your responsibilities in your resume for business school (probably for anywhere!). Maybe that's the issue you're referring to?

For example:
-Supervised 8 people (responsibility)
-Supervised a team of 8 people who increased sales by 20% (accomplishment)

^ I agree with this.

Also, if the company you worked for is relatively unknown, it is wise to put a brief description of what the company does, possibly combined with your general responsibilities, before moving onto your bullet points.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: resume question [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 09:18
Its generally better to start with a verb.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: resume question [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 11:36
my understanding is based on what I know from college recruiting and I would assume it's just general good resume practices. you are supposed to use action words. responsibilities included tells nothing about what you actually did, just what you were asked to do. they want to see that you coordinated or managed or processed or actually did something.
Re: resume question   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2012, 11:36