Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
GMAT Date: 02-02-2013
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: RESUME submission [#permalink]
CobraKai wrote:
lclausen0108 wrote:
is the rule still one page for your resume? I have worked since I was 16 years old (now i'm 26) and I have had 5 different jobs/titles. Just alone those 5 jobs can easily take up a page.

Yes - one page. That will be the standard for recruiting as well. Honestly, what kind of work experience did you have when you were 16? It's probably irrelevant. Stick with major internships in college and post college work. The key is not to list every little thing you did but to highlight achievements and quantifiable results in hard-hitting bullets. Clear and concise - one page.

I've got ten years in the military and I was able to get my resume to be one page, so you can too.

I worked for a retail store but was a manager in training once I turned 18 they wanted me to be the assistant manage, though I ended up leaving for college after that. All the other jobs I had were assistant jobs to governmental agencies. I guess I will keep working on cutting it down.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
lclausen0108 wrote:

I worked for a retail store but was a manager in training once I turned 18 they wanted me to be the assistant manage, though I ended up leaving for college after that.

So it looks like you worked retail from 16-18...that's farily irrelevant for an MBA resume. Reserve that space for more relevant work experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: University of Connecticut - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
lclausen0108 wrote:

I worked for a retail store but was a manager in training once I turned 18 they wanted me to be the assistant manage, though I ended up leaving for college after that.

So it looks like you worked retail from 16-18...that's farily irrelevant for an MBA resume. Reserve that space for more relevant work experience.

I agree with CobraKai. I don't believe that job would count as "professional" work experience. I worked quite a few jobs before joining the Navy but the Navy is what I considered to be the beginning of my professional work experience even though I did not receive my degree until after. I have 16 years of work experience including the Navy but I managed to get it down to one page as well. A lot of different sites said that my years of experience would allow for a two page resume. However, the one page just looks nicer, clearer and more professional.

How many of those internships/jobs have you held during/after graduation?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Electrichazard wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
lclausen0108 wrote:

I agree with CobraKai. I don't believe that job would count as "professional" work experience. I worked quite a few jobs before joining the Navy but the Navy is what I considered to be the beginning of my professional work experience even though I did not receive my degree until after. I have 16 years of work experience including the Navy but I managed to get it down to one page as well. A lot of different sites said that my years of experience would allow for a two page resume. However, the one page just looks nicer, clearer and more professional.

How many of those internships/jobs have you held during/after graduation?

Straight out of high school I worked as a summer intern for a local governmental agency, I went away for one year and then returned there in summer to work yet again in which I did not go back to university instead I went into a trade school for 18 months which still allowed me in the summer to intern for them. I then started my job with my current employer and I've been with them for 5 years, I started doing part-time at a local community college where I got my associates degree and then in 2010 I transferred into a university to finish my degree in which I attended school full time while working full time.
GMAT Club Bot