Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 23:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Resume Vs. Curriculum Vitae

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Resume Vs. Curriculum Vitae [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 09:03
I know that the main difference between a resume and CV is that the CV is used for academic purposes. But for application materials, I'm a bit confused about what to include on my CV. I have no research or teaching experience. Does anyone know of a site that shows examples of CV's submitted for a phd program?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 3

Re: Resume Vs. Curriculum Vitae [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 19:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hey there.

You might want to start by reading some important differences between a CV and a Resume:

http://jobsearch.about.com/cs/curriculu ... resume.htm

http://www.cvtips.com/resumes-and-cvs/c ... thing.html

If that's not enough, just Google "CV vs resume" and you'll find much more information.

The main difference is that a CV is longer and more rigorous. On a resume, you only put the best 1-2 pages that you can. On a CV, you can take much more space as long as the content is important. I've seen some distinguished professors' CVs that are over 10 pages long. Of course most of that is publication citations. But even if you don't have any publications, put every item you feel is important on your CV. Of course, you should still be concise and precise.

I think that one of the best ways to look at academic CVs is to go through CVs of faculty members on university websites. Many professors may either have their CV directly posted on the school's website, or have a link to their personal website where they would have a CV. Just open the website of the university you want to apply to, search for faculty listing, and it's more likely that not you'll find to CVs to refer to. If not, just try other universities until you find some.

Final note is to always tailor your CV to the program you are applying to -- see what requirements and desired items are on the list, and structure your CV in a way that would best highlight your knowledge and experience in those areas. For an MBA, leadership ability is very important; for a MSc/PhD, research potential is.
Re: Resume Vs. Curriculum Vitae   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2009, 19:55