Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retake a 710? Please help a new member.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Retake a 710? Please help a new member. [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 15:10
I am a new GMAT Club member but I have been reading posts on this forum for the past few months as I prepared for the GMAT. With this in mind, I recently took the GMAT and I scored a 710. The score breakdown was:

46 Q (too low?)
40 V
6 AWA
7 IR

But I am debating whether to retake the exam in a couple of months. Should I retake the GMAT and aim for a 720+ with a higher quant score? I am hoping to get into a top MBA program and I've read a high quant score is important.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: Retake a 710? Please help a new member. [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 16:18
hardworker12 wrote:
I am a new GMAT Club member but I have been reading posts on this forum for the past few months as I prepared for the GMAT. With this in mind, I recently took the GMAT and I scored a 710. The score breakdown was:

46 Q (too low?)
40 V
6 AWA
7 IR

But I am debating whether to retake the exam in a couple of months. Should I retake the GMAT and aim for a 720+ with a higher quant score? I am hoping to get into a top MBA program and I've read a high quant score is important.
I feel your score is fair enough to make it to any good school provided that you have ability to pitch profile in positive connotations. There could be some biases with higher score candidates, but a higher score at cost of profile presentation and focus on admissions process would not help either.

IMO, if you still see yourself at lower side of ladder, you may re-appear for GMAT, but dont lose focus on admissions process and your profile presentation aspects.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Retake a 710? Please help a new member. [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 18:34
Thank you for your advice joshnsit. I plan to apply for business school in about 3-4 years after I have more work experience, etc. to get the most out of the two years in business school. With this in mind, do you think it's worth taking the GMAT in a month or so before starting my new job and aim for a higher quant score (and overall score) since I will have time to focus on the rest of the application later? Or, is the difference between a 720/730 and a higher quant score from my recent 710 and quant scores not that big of a deal?
Manager
Manager
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Retake a 710? Please help a new member. [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 20:19
retaking the GMAT depends on a lot of factors. most importantly, which programs do you want to attend and what other evidence of intellectual aptitude can you demonstrate? if you have a 4.0 from MIT, your GMAT score is less important (unless it's super low). but if you have average/ below-avg grades from a non-competitive undergrad, a higher GMAT might be needed to offset any perceived lack of quant ability. i wrote this article that might be helpful for your evaluation: http://www.thefirstread.com/should-i-retake-the-gmat/

hope that's helpful
-james

http://www.TheFirstRead.com
Former Kellogg adcom member, offering a new approach to MBA Admissions Consulting.

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Retake a 710? Please help a new member. [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 04:44
Expert's post
Normally, I wouldn't advise people to retake the GMAT with a 710. However, you are a few years out before applying for b-school. If it makes you feel more confident going into the application, I don't see why not.

Diversity

Re: Retake a 710? Please help a new member.   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2012, 04:44