Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retake GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Retake GMAT? [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2013, 21:36
Hi,

I just took the GMAT with little to no preparation. I scored a total of 670 and it is absolutely imbalanced.

- 4 IR
- 42 quant (51 percentile)
- Verbal I don't remember exactly but 90 percentile

I am applying only for GSB and of course I consider retaking it but I really really really don't want to. Here are my thoughts:

- Quant is terrible but it is because I didn't remember all the rules and properties. I did good at math (A's) in university, took logic classes (A's) and did
a very analytical test to get into my university for my bachelor degree in Europe where I scored in the top 5% out of 500 people. So I think I can make it believable that I am not stupid/can follow math heavy classes

- also I am working and really don't have much time to prepare the GMAT. So my worry is that if I retake and don't improve my score enough it will look really bad. At least now I can say I did not have the time to prepare but I have a good track record of math

On the other hand it would of course be better to score a 730 or better.

So, retake or no?

Thank you so much for your help!
Simon
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 0

Re: Retake GMAT? [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 13:01
Expert's post
Hi Simon,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to hear your GMAT was not what you had hoped. Certainly you need to do what you have to do personally, in terms of ability to re-take or not, but it will be very difficult to get into Stanford GSB with your current score. Even with the explanations you have cited. Just being honest... they get so many strong applicants with great scores, so it's tough for them to justify accepting someone with a much lower score unless there are extremely exceptional circumstances. Also, Stanford's class is particularly small compared with other top programs, so it's that much more selective/competitive, and they tend to have the highest GMAT average of all programs.

Schools will take the highest score, so there's not too much to lose by re-taking. And some admissions officers have even indicated that they'd rather see a candidate try again than appear to 'give up' so to speak, so it's not a bad idea to consider one more try with some preparation.

As someone who taught and tutored GMAT prep for most of 10 years, I will also say that generally it tends to be easier to bump up the quant side of things than verbal, so if you get some help remembering that math content, you could see a good boost.

Good luck to you!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php