Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retake GMAT after a 700?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Retake GMAT after a 700? [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 11:33
I just wanted to seek advice from all the experts here about retaking the GMAT. I wrote the GMAT in October for the first time, scored a 700, fortunately have been able to manage admission at a decent school with funding. Is it true that a higher GMAT score helps in recruitment post MBA as well, especially for IB and Consulting. Does it make sense to write the exam again with that in mind. I have a few months free before I start school in August and am fairly confident I can manage a 730-740 if I study for a few weeks. Would really appreciate any feedback.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: Retake GMAT after a 700? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 11:36
Expert's post
Hi CapoKD,

Great work on your GMAT! I think you've answered your own question here:) If you have the time and you're confident that you can get it done then why not? It doesn't seem like there's much downside here. Of course you might consider this GMAC research that suggests that people with scores of 700 and above on average improve about 8 points. But hey, that doesn't have to be you. I had a student in somewhat the same boat and she went from a 700 to a 730.

Will this matter for a consulting job: maybe. A family member just interviewed at Goldman Sachs and had to provide all of his test scores. Did they factor that into their decision? Who knows. A quick google search revealed this: http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/oct2009/bs20091019_412671.htm and this http://www.caseinterview.com/mckinsey-gmat-score.

I think this is a pretty personal decision about how you want to spent the next month or so. I'm sorry that I can't provide more insight on the hiring decisions of consulting firms but I have the feeling that it's a grey zone especially if you're already at 700 with a solid Quant score. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Have a good day,

A.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Blog and Tutoring: http://AtlanticGMAT.com

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set and some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Intern
Intern

Re: Retake GMAT after a 700? [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 10:37
HerrGrau wrote:
Hi CapoKD,

Great work on your GMAT! I think you've answered your own question here:) If you have the time and you're confident that you can get it done then why not? It doesn't seem like there's much downside here. Of course you might consider this GMAC research that suggests that people with scores of 700 and above on average improve about 8 points. But hey, that doesn't have to be you. I had a student in somewhat the same boat and she went from a 700 to a 730.

Will this matter for a consulting job: maybe. A family member just interviewed at Goldman Sachs and had to provide all of his test scores. Did they factor that into their decision? Who knows. A quick google search revealed this: http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/oct2009/bs20091019_412671.htm and this http://www.caseinterview.com/mckinsey-gmat-score.

I think this is a pretty personal decision about how you want to spent the next month or so. I'm sorry that I can't provide more insight on the hiring decisions of consulting firms but I have the feeling that it's a grey zone especially if you're already at 700 with a solid Quant score. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Have a good day,

A.

Dear HerrGrau

Thank you so much for the insights, I really appreciate it. Sorry about replying so late.

Best
KD
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Retake GMAT after a 700? [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 13:28
Check out this thread - gmat-score-use-in-employment-21669-20.html

Looks like a 730+ score could be more impressive to consulting firms and help you get that first interview. Probably worth the time to prep further and retake.

Thomas Hall

Intern
Intern

Re: Retake GMAT after a 700? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 20:39
ThomasHall wrote:
Check out this thread - gmat-score-use-in-employment-21669-20.html

Looks like a 730+ score could be more impressive to consulting firms and help you get that first interview. Probably worth the time to prep further and retake.

http://www.gmatclarity.com

Thanks for the insights Thomas, appreciate it.

Best
KD
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Retake GMAT after a 700? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 08:36
If I got a 700+ I would retake the test. I would start practicing for interviews and start working on essays and applications.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 23

Premium Member
Re: Retake GMAT after a 700? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 10:05
If you include your GMAT score on your resume, companies will take it into consideration. But you don't have to disclose your score.

Your GMAT score isn't as important of a factor as your GPA. With respect to GPA, there is a cut-off; resumes with a GPA lower than the cut-off are automatically filtered out. I haven't heard of a cut-off for the GMAT, however (or even a requirement). GMAT is used as an entrance exam for business school (not jobs), whereas GPA reflects your entire performance during school. I therefore don't think companies put too much stock into the GMAT. After all, your MBA / education and the institution you went to are what matters. If you bombed the GMAT, but went to a great school, you would have effectively disproved your score. On the other hand, if you aced the GMAT, but went to a less than stellar school, your score would unfortunately not reflect your education.

Ultimately, your two years of education > a test you took in a couple of hours.

I personally think a 700 is more than adequate for companies (if they are indeed looking), and I wouldn't waste my time re-taking.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 611 [0], given: 5

Re: Retake GMAT after a 700? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 10:15
Expert's post
A 700 is an adequate score and you don't need to disclose it on your resume or on LinkedIn. Usually it's the case that hiring managers (who themselves may have taken the GMAT before) don't want to look back at GMAT scores (or hey, even see a candidate that scored higher than what they scored for the GMAT). So it's not necessary to disclose.

Your experience / school you graduated from matter much more than your GMAT score. If you came from a 2nd tier school but scored high on the GMAT (particularly if the job you're applying for is a "reach" in your mind)-- then in that case you may consider putting up your GMAT score if it's a good score.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Retake GMAT after a 700?   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2014, 10:15