Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

retake GMAT? appreciate any advise

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

retake GMAT? appreciate any advise [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 09:44
so my score is only 10 points below the average for my target school (Carnegie Mellon Heinz), however my writing score is only 4.5 (I did not finish one essay in time). I have scored 30 - 40 points higher on GMATPrep so I believe I could also improve on the quantitative and verbal sections. I originally planned to retake the GMAT this month but till now, I have not been able to spend a lot of time studying due to work. The only free time I had were spent on the school application since my understanding is that a high GMAT but sucky app. essay won't get you anywhere. The application deadline was Jan. 10th so I'm not even sure now if they will still consider my new score. However, I think I can manage from now on to spend around 3 hours a day reviewing and the next open test date is the 23rd.

Should I sign up for it or pray that the admissions committee is nice enough to give me a break on my GMAT? My GPA is 3.45 which is just average. Essay and recommendation letter are excellent I think. In addition, I have about 1 year working experience in a quite unique position.

Also, would a score 20 - 30 points above the average help me gain a scholarship?

Thanks in advance for any advise
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: retake GMAT? appreciate any advise [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 13:17
zerolife wrote:
so my score is only 10 points below the average for my target school (Carnegie Mellon Heinz), however my writing score is only 4.5 (I did not finish one essay in time). I have scored 30 - 40 points higher on GMATPrep so I believe I could also improve on the quantitative and verbal sections. I originally planned to retake the GMAT this month but till now, I have not been able to spend a lot of time studying due to work. The only free time I had were spent on the school application since my understanding is that a high GMAT but sucky app. essay won't get you anywhere. The application deadline was Jan. 10th so I'm not even sure now if they will still consider my new score. However, I think I can manage from now on to spend around 3 hours a day reviewing and the next open test date is the 23rd.

Should I sign up for it or pray that the admissions committee is nice enough to give me a break on my GMAT? My GPA is 3.45 which is just average. Essay and recommendation letter are excellent I think. In addition, I have about 1 year working experience in a quite unique position.

Also, would a score 20 - 30 points above the average help me gain a scholarship?

Thanks in advance for any advise

Ask the school. Some have a clear policy and will not accept gmat scores after the deadline and some do. Better to ask the school first instead of wasting $250
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2233

Kudos [?]: 8377 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: retake GMAT? appreciate any advise [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 13:41
Expert's post
Here is some info on retaking: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

You probably need at least 50+ points to get a scholarship (only certain schools offer scholarships based on gmat scores). Also, would definitely check if it is worth to invest your time and effort. Could be a good signal to the school to show your dedication.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: retake GMAT? appreciate any advise [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 22:56
I think none can provide definite suggestion. But to show to seriousness for your preferred school, it might work positively. :?

Truth is infinite, understanding is finite

Re: retake GMAT? appreciate any advise   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2010, 22:56