Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retake GMAT before finishing MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Retake GMAT before finishing MBA? [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 18:55
When is it worth retaking the GMAT for a higher score? Can anyone provide some perspective?

I'm half way through my MBA at Univ. of Florida. This is not a top tier school, but rising surprisingly fast. Nonetheless, my 650 is lower than I think I'm capable of, but maybe it is more of a personal goal to get into the 700s. I believe i read somewhere that people would retake the GMAT based on trying to get a job within a high profile company. But maybe that doesn't matter since I'm not attending a top tier school anyway. What do you think?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Retake GMAT before finishing MBA? [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 19:32
Expert's post
The GMAT is definitely NOT worth retaking in your situation. Devote your time and energy on looking for jobs, networking, and preparing for interviews.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 43

Re: Retake GMAT before finishing MBA? [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 06:50
It would not hurt if you are trying to get your Ph.D from a top school within the next 5 years, in something business related, then you can apply to top schools.
Job wise, employers don't care what you've score. Employers want linked in, networking, etc. Good Luck!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Retake GMAT before finishing MBA? [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 07:44
Unless you want to work for one of the four or five premier strategy consulting firms, the GMAT question will not arise. Also, while a 650 i not great, it is perfectly respectable. If the question arises, I would state your score and let it be -- the person asking the question probably got a lower score. You should spend your valuable time studying, learning and looking for the ideal job. Do not take the test again for the purposes of impressing employers.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Re: Retake GMAT before finishing MBA? [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 09:30
GMAT score is not at all a criteria to work. Myself working for a Top Consulting company. I am studying at a good average school, but not top in the rankings. Even my classmates are also working for good consulting firms. My GMAT score was not asked also. My GMAT score was close to yours and I would say when you go for an interview, they would look at your capacity and if u r not good and then even if u have GMAT of 760 they wouldn't take you. Yes, as somebody said above, try focusing on the necessary things - make good networks, try to learn more or attend competitions, try for a good job.... Your mind is restless and sooo focus on what is important. If you feel your school is not soo good, why can't you focus on improving it.
Re: Retake GMAT before finishing MBA?   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2012, 09:30