Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retake GMAT... or live with it ???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 90

Retake GMAT... or live with it ??? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 02:51
Hello there !!

My Profile in brief detail :wink:

Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 700 (Q 49 V36)
GPA: 75% from a top 50 engineering school
Major: Mechanical Engineering

Work Experience: 7 years at Matriculation with a top Oil exploration and refining company (I worked only in downstream - refining)

4 Years: Mechanical Engineer - Maintenance. Lead a team of 6 technicians. Worked towards ensuring the reliability and availability of mech. equipment. Developed maintenance plans - Preventive and Predictive. Active involvement in Tendering and Contract Management.

2 Years: Senior Engineer - Maintenance and Projects. Leveraged the maintenance expertise to streamline and manage Revamp Project activities. Lead a team of over 40 technicians to complete shutdown activities well ahead of schedule. Job included planning, inter - department coordination and execution.

1 Year: Senior Engineer - Vigilance. Leveraged the technical and commercial expertise to bring systemic improvements across the organization. Focussed on areas that required system development or improvement and recommended changes to improve efficiency, transparency and effectiveness.

Leadership
• Elected Representative for Management Staff Association (Officer's association to liaison with the Management)
• Work profile full of leadership examples

Extra Curricular:
• Active Member of Toastmaster's Club
• Community Service through the CSR activities of my company - Organized blood donation camps, AIDS awareness campaigns etc.
• An active event organizer throughout my life - right from school till today. Was a member of Organizing Committee for Annual Tech. & Cultural fest at college. Active participation in organizing company events including handling venue, logistics, decor, liaison with speakers etc.

Future Plans:
Energy Consulting with a focus on sustainability.

Target Firms:
GE (internal consulting)
Bain
McKinsey

Backup Plan: Operations management in Energy industry. Target Firm: Shell, Exxon Mobil, Chevron, BP.

Wish to apply to:

1. Tuck
2. Duke Fuqua
3. Darden
4. UCLA
5) Johnson
6) Emory
7) Mc Combs
8) Kelley
9) Ivey, Canada
10) Rotman

I am skeptical in the following areas:

1. Should I retake GMAT? If I do, I expect to get 720-730. Should I devote the next month on GMAT or start preparing my apps ??

2. Do I have the USP to get into the programs mentioned above, considering I don't take another shot at GMAT ?? Request you to highlight any apparent weaknesses in my profile.

3. What schools should I focus on. A list of schools reputed for placements in the energy sector (Consulting and Operations).

Look forward to your response.
Thank You.

Best Regards,
KUNAL
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 560 [1] , given: 30

Re: Retake GMAT... or live with it ??? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 04:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey there Kunal,
Ahhhh the eternal question!
To retake or not to retake???

In your case I'm tempted to say yes. For two main reasons, or maybe three. First you seem to feel like you can get 20-30 points higher, and there is no reason for you to settle for less than the highest score you can come back with. Especially since (this is reason 2) that consulting firms will look at your GMAT score. So the higher the better, not only for B-school but also for onwards. And reason number three? You still have 2-3 months until applications are released.

I think with your vast leadership experience, many of the schools you listed above should be reachable for you. (Although I think McKinsey does have a tendency to hire from higher ranked schools), and actually a 700 GMAT is probably sufficient. But like I wrote, given your goals and confidence, it seems to me to make sense to attempt a retake at this point.

Regarding your third question, the most "Famous" energy schools are Haas, McCombs, Rice, and Tepper. Although for consulting you don't need to focus in on energy necessarily, and the top-ranked schools likely have better placement in consulting firms (although the energy strong schools might have better in-industry contacts and hires).

Hope this helps!!!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager

Re: Retake GMAT... or live with it ??? [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 01:53
Hey Jon,

Thanx for your prompt reply.

I want to share here that I took GMAT in 2011 and had applied to Ivey and Rotman in Canada. But, I got rejected from both the schools after interview. But I must mention that I hadn't done any research about B-school applications and Interview and I had not portrayed my balanced profile through the essays and specially during the interviews.

As a result, I am extremely tense and worried about my apps this fall and what has added to my worry is the number of years of my experience, which is on the higher side.

I feel that I am a competitive candidate for a good MBA program, but I have the tendency to fall short while portraying my accomplishments properly. Primarily, because I haven't introspected enough to answer questions like 'the most difficult situation in my life, how i tackled it and the learning from it'.

I am in fact looking out to take help from a consultant, but I need to make sure that the focus area of the consulting sessions shall be brainstorming. I feel that is the aspect where I lack the most.

However, most of the consultants provide 1 hour brainstorming sessions for 1 application, which I feel is insufficient.

Please help.

Regards,
KUNAL
Manager
Manager

Re: Retake GMAT... or live with it ??? [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 02:02
Moreover, as per your views, none of the schools I've mentioned are stretch for me. If that's so, it is amazing and a confidence booster for me.

And regarding McKinsey, I believe that Tuck, Duke and Darden are pretty highly ranked and reputed for consulting. I am sure McKinsey does hire a good number from these schools.

Yes, I still have 2-3 months time before the essays come out. But, I believe it is high time that I start investing my time for getting ready for the app season and keep the background work like CV, answers to some basic questions etc. ready for the apps.

Your views on these will be highly appreciated.

Thank You.

KUNAL
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

Re: Retake GMAT... or live with it ??? [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 03:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kunzi wrote:
Hey Jon,

I want to share here that I took GMAT in 2011 and had applied to Ivey and Rotman in Canada. But, I got rejected from both the schools after interview. But I must mention that I hadn't done any research about B-school applications and Interview and I had not portrayed my balanced profile through the essays and specially during the interviews.

As a result, I am extremely tense and worried about my apps this fall and what has added to my worry is the number of years of my experience, which is on the higher side.

I feel that I am a competitive candidate for a good MBA program, but I have the tendency to fall short while portraying my accomplishments properly. Primarily, because I haven't introspected enough to answer questions like 'the most difficult situation in my life, how i tackled it and the learning from it'.

I am in fact looking out to take help from a consultant, but I need to make sure that the focus area of the consulting sessions shall be brainstorming. I feel that is the aspect where I lack the most.

However, most of the consultants provide 1 hour brainstorming sessions for 1 application, which I feel is insufficient.

Please help.

Regards,
KUNAL

Kunal,
Really??? I'm surprised actually because I feel like from what you have here, things look good. Although not researching the schools and not presenting the best application one has can torpedo even the strongest of candidacies. The first thing I would recommend then is to have someone review the applications you sent in 2011, as I feel that is a good starting point to thinking about what might have gone wrong and to establish a strategy for the way forward.

I should add also that your concern about having "Too much" experience is unfounded really. Sometimes being too old is not so great, but lots of experience is always better than less.

As for working with consultants, if you were to sign up for our Deluxe packages then you would get your brainstorming included. With no limits. Just make sure you tell us first that that is what you need. Our Deluxe package is essentially all inclusive, and we do cater to our clients requests and needs. If you are interested in finding out more about it, the best thing is to drop a line on our website by filling out the free consultation from (and writing that you came from GMATClub): http://admissionado.com/mba/free-consultation/

You can also check out our Ding Analysis Service 9which is separate here, but would ALSO be included if you were to sign up for Deluxe packages): http://admissionado.com/mba/packages/a- ... -analysis/

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

Re: Retake GMAT... or live with it ??? [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 03:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kunzi wrote:
Moreover, as per your views, none of the schools I've mentioned are stretch for me. If that's so, it is amazing and a confidence booster for me.

And regarding McKinsey, I believe that Tuck, Duke and Darden are pretty highly ranked and reputed for consulting. I am sure McKinsey does hire a good number from these schools.

Yes, I still have 2-3 months time before the essays come out. But, I believe it is high time that I start investing my time for getting ready for the app season and keep the background work like CV, answers to some basic questions etc. ready for the apps.

Your views on these will be highly appreciated.

Thank You.

KUNAL

Weeeeeell, let's not go putting words in the horse's mouth... :)

I believe I wrote that "many" would be reachable. Tuck will likely be a stretch. And Duke somewhere between competitive and stretch. But essentially the rest of the schools should be within range even with a 700. Like I wrote, if you would like a more in-depth and precise evaluation, feel free to drop us a line.

Look forward to hearing from you!!!!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Manager
Manager

Re: Retake GMAT... or live with it ??? [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 09:09
JonAdmissionado wrote:
kunzi wrote:
Hey Jon,

Please help.

Regards,
KUNAL

Kunal,
Really??? I'm surprised actually because I feel like from what you have here, things look good. Although not researching the schools and not presenting the best application one has can torpedo even the strongest of candidacies. The first thing I would recommend then is to have someone review the applications you sent in 2011, as I feel that is a good starting point to thinking about what might have gone wrong and to establish a strategy for the way forward.

I should add also that your concern about having "Too much" experience is unfounded really. Sometimes being too old is not so great, but lots of experience is always better than less.

As for working with consultants, if you were to sign up for our Deluxe packages then you would get your brainstorming included. With no limits. Just make sure you tell us first that that is what you need. Our Deluxe package is essentially all inclusive, and we do cater to our clients requests and needs. If you are interested in finding out more about it, the best thing is to drop a line on our website by filling out the free consultation from (and writing that you came from GMATClub): http://admissionado.com/mba/free-consultation/

You can also check out our Ding Analysis Service 9which is separate here, but would ALSO be included if you were to sign up for Deluxe packages): http://admissionado.com/mba/packages/a- ... -analysis/

Well Jon, I had researched about the schools. However, I had not researched enough about myself and I fumbled during the iterview with such straight questions as I've mentioned above. That was the case with Ivey (Round 2) and my Rotman interview was better but there were 2 issues - it was round 3 and I didn't mention anything about my extra curriculars during the interview even after being asked. I was asked what did I do in my free time, and my reply was listening to music and meditation. This is actually true, but I also devote my time to certain other activities that I've mentioned in my profile and though I'd mentioned all of this in my essays and Resume, but didn't say a word about my extra-curriculars during the interview. That was gross :x

Anyway, thanx a ton for your sincere advice and for bearing with me.

I'm in process of finalizing a consultant. Will definitely write to you.

Thank You once again.

Regards,
KUNAL
Manager
Manager

Re: Retake GMAT... or live with it ??? [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 09:15
One more thing: I really like Canada and would like to get settled there post MBA. Though I read that consulting opportunities are fewer in Canada relative to US, but I wouldn't mind going into operations or sustainability in Energy field.

Should I re-apply to Canadian schools - Rotman & Ivey. Both these schools fulfill my needs and my expectations of a Business education (Ivey no: 1 because of Case method). But I'll be a re-applicant.

Or should I focus my energy on better options available in large numbers in US ??

Thank You.

KUNAL
Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 560 [0], given: 30

Re: Retake GMAT... or live with it ??? [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 23:02
Expert's post
Well, I can't really tell you what to do with your life (that's a little bit beyond my scope :) ) but you do seem to be open to both options, so I wouldn't rule anything out. If you really want to live and work in Canada, then you should be applying to Canadian schools. Apply to Ivey and Rotman and add another school or two that appeals to you. But at the same time think about 2-4 US schools that interest you for various reasons, be it their program, energy strength, fit, etc. And you can decide later where you want to go and what you want to do based on the results.

That's the way I see thing right now. Keep your mind and your options open, look into McCombs, Rice, Haas, Tepper in the US (for starters... there are others that may fit you well too)

And apply to as many schools as you can finish applications. It's the best way to get good results (I mean of course while applying with great applications!)

Best,

JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com