Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retake the GMAT (690) - do I even have a chance at B-school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q41 V44
GPA: 2.9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Retake the GMAT (690) - do I even have a chance at B-school? [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 17:07
Just finished my GMAT and got a 690..... and not just a regular 690 - the most lopsided 690 you've ever seen:

Quant:
52 percentile :oops:

Verbal:
98 percentile 8-)

My undergraduate GPA is pretty dismal: 2.9 from the University of Washington.
However, this is mostly because I started majoring in Bioengineering and bombed every math and science class I took. Once I was in my major (another sort of engineering related field but more about communication and usability) I was fine. I had a 3.6 in my major classes. Oh yea... wow do I have some BAD grades in my Calculus classes - and calculus was the only type of math I took in college (unless you count an intro, humanities major, stat class that I did fine in)

I want to go to UCLA more than anything. The school feels like my soul mate - I can easily list half a dozen reasons as to why I prefer UCLA over any other school. I know it's a heavy finance school - which doesn't bode well for my dismal math abilities - but my biggest interest is in marketing which ties back very nicely to my undergraduate degree.

Second choice is UC Irvine. I would maybe consider the UW again, but I really want to move down to California to be closer to family. Plus, I think I'll be more rounded with an education from two different schools.

Two questions:

1) Should I retake the GMAT? In the prep software, I got a 710 and a 720. But would a 720 make that big of a difference to my application?
2) In aiming for UCLA, am I like that kid in high school with a 2.0 who wants to go to Harvard? Do I have a chance with my 2.9 and 690? I have a somewhat compelling story to tell about my upbringing/education and I did well in my major but I can't shirk the feeling that I'm throwing my time and money away.

Until I have school loans and all that fun stuff, every $250 is eating in to my already very tight budget.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
WE: General Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Re: Retake the GMAT (690) - do I even have a chance at B-school? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 11:26
I got accepted into Tepper in 2012 with a 610. Tepper is pretty well known for its quantitative demands. I got accepted with a Q37 (or 46%tile). I aced the essays and had a good interview. I should say, I was waitlisted first, but the acceptance did come through.

I chose not to go, and instead to postpone my applications for this year.

Don't discount yourself so quickly. Of course, a higher Q score will definitely help, but if you can squeeze in some transcript builders (like an online Extension class at UCLA (ace it of course)), put together a strong package, and really let your passion for the school shine through, you may be able to do it.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q41 V44
GPA: 2.9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Retake the GMAT (690) - do I even have a chance at B-school? [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 08:16
Thanks for the reply - you make me feel a little encouraged. Unfortunately, I don't think I have time to fit a math class in before the application deadlines (not to mention working full time.) If I don't get in this year, I'll plan on taking a math class.

I'm feeling a little more motivated - I got my other scores today and got a 5 on the AWA and 8 on IR. So it looks like I did well everywhere except for math. Now I'm really not wanting to retake the GMAT for fear that a slightly higher math score will mean the reduction of my awesome IR and verbal scores.
Re: Retake the GMAT (690) - do I even have a chance at B-school?   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2013, 08:16