Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RETAKE THIRD TIME: PLEASE ADVICE.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests
RETAKE THIRD TIME: PLEASE ADVICE. [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 23:52
Hi guys!
I would like to get some advice from. Thanks in advance. Here is my story:
I took my gmat on july 26 and got a 690 -q44 v40-. I took again today and, sadly, got a 680 (q42 v41). However, I am going to take the test again on November 19, because my last practice tests where 710 and 720 from the gmat prep new exams and I think I can beat the beast. I saw no repeats.
So I improved my verbal. I really think I cannot do more on that. I (almost) only fail those questions in which some unknown words are critical or fundamental, and indeed I cannot guess the meaning. In this sense, I remember a SC question about the material which some planets are made. In this question, the underlined part began with a verb that I did not know and, additionally, the two precedent verbs -with which the underlined part had to be parallel- were also unknown for me. I cannot fight with this. My English is what it is. I wish the exam were in my mother tongue.
Actually, I think that my one point of improvement comes from SC, my weakest area in verbal.
That being said, I messed absolutely with quant.
First, I messed it when I study quant. As the last time I took the exam I saw two probability questions and combination questions that I think I got wrong (at least 3 of them), this time I study hard these areas but I did not put too much attention in other easier areas, areas in which today I think I missed several questions -otherwise I would have seen more Prob and Comb questions-.
Second, I messed with the time devoted to quant. Keeping in mind that I have historically loved heavy books and texts, grammar and logical reasoning and not so much math, I devoted half of my time to each. Now I realize that I should not have done it this way; I should have devoted 80 % of the time to quant, as the ROI was much higher. I will not happen again.
Third, I disregarded my weaknesses –except prob and comb, areas in which I put a lot of time perhaps because I saw them as the most difficult and the ones that would give the victory-. I did not keep an error log, and I regret now for that. In fact, I think while I trained in order to defeat the best team of the league, I have been beaten by an average one.
I also think that I did have a proper rest. I do not get so nervous at night because I am really used to stress. Every week I have a fatal deadline in my job as a lawyer. However, this time I had to work three weeks in a row, including the weekends. No single day of relax in almost one month. To study these lasts days, I had to stop working on my lawsuits and reports and begin with the gmat, putting no quality time. In fact, the day before the test – the day before yesterday- I worked from 8 o’clock in the morning to 9 at night, just had a little dinner and went to sleep.
So I think I have some clues concerning what to do before my third, and absolutely last attempt. I short:
-Rest one week and then put a lot of effort for a month, till November 19, when I will take my exam again.
-Devote 80 % of the time to my weaknesses, starting with fundamentals, while using the rest of time to make my best better.
-Take the day before of my exam off and do nothing except playing videogames and watching documentaries –can you recommend one for me?-. While I think this is always important, it is really important in my case. I am a night owl, and in Barcelona, where I live, the Gmat exam can only be taken at 9,15 in the morning, a time of the day when I do not work at 100 percent neither nearly. This makes that the day of the exam I have to wake up at 6 in order to have at least 3 hours awake before beginning the test. So if I have to work until 9 at night the day before, the result will be disastrous again.
-Keep an error log.
Do you have any idea? I know you guys always have good insights. In particular, I have realized that I am somehow slow in math –calculating-. I have been more than 10 years using calculator even for the easiest things –why should I make a silly mistake if the machine next to me can do the work?-.
I do not know what else I can do. It is hard to have been always one of the bests students/workers wherever I have been and now to be destroyed by an exam. Sincerely, 680-690 is not bad, but, hell, is not close to be great. I know I am not like some geniuses that flight around the forum, but I want to give the last try.
Thank you very much again. Any advice will be welcome.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: RETAKE THIRD TIME: PLEASE ADVICE. [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 06:32
spla626 wrote:
Hi guys!

Do you have any idea? I know you guys always have good insights. In particular, I have realized that I am somehow slow in math –calculating-. I have been more than 10 years using calculator even for the easiest things –why should I make a silly mistake if the machine next to me can do the work?-.
I do not know what else I can do. It is hard to have been always one of the bests students/workers wherever I have been and now to be destroyed by an exam. Sincerely, 680-690 is not bad, but, hell, is not close to be great. I know I am not like some geniuses that flight around the forum, but I want to give the last try.
Thank you very much again. Any advice will be welcome.

You may find this helpful some good strategies... should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

If you can work a but on Quant then it wont be difficult to get the score you are aiming for...Try some tough questions undertimed mode and give your self less than 90 seconds, just to get the pressure.

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Re: RETAKE THIRD TIME: PLEASE ADVICE.   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2013, 06:32