Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retaking GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q47 V23
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Retaking GMAT [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 03:46
Hi Team,

I am new to this forum and I have just joined today. I was looking for a help regarding the GMAT exam and one of my friend has recommended this site. To brief my profile I am engineering major student graduated in 2008. Since then I was working for a an Reputed IT company in India for 10 months and moved to client (Investing banking) place location in Australia from August 2009.

I have a Indian experience of 10 months and Australian experience of 55 months that encompasses to 65 months in total. I started preparing for GMAT in August 2013 and I have spent almost 4 + months in preparation. During the tenure I attended the Veritas test prep (In Class) program at Sydney. I used OG 12 and Veritas Prep materials for my preparation. Finally I took my exam on Dec 23rd 2013 and I ended up getting 560 (V23 and Q47 and AWA 5.0). I felt puzzled after months of effort and spending 1500$ for preparation class. I have solved all the problems in Veritas Prep 14 books and OG 12.

My 10 practice tests score from GMAT prep, Manhattan were in the range from 600 - 660. I am looking for your advice on retaking the GMAT. My desire is to reach the 700 barrier which many of you have achieved.

I also decided to take up the private tutoring for the score improvement. Can you please advise on the below areas.

How to improve the Verbal score?, I believe I really lack in SC and RC.
Does private tutoring add any value? If so, which one I can opt for?
How many months can i avail before retaking the exam?
How to manage the anxiety and time during exam. I felt I was not able to manage time properly for both Quant and Verbal sections. In some areas I felt lack of concentration in particular the RCs.

Your help will contribute for my next steps to a great extent. I feel bit de-motivated, I am looking for a definite strategy and plan of study to tackle the exam.

Thanks
Bragadeesh
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 292

Kudos [?]: 672 [0], given: 6

Re: Retaking GMAT [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 10:00
Expert's post
Hi Bragadeesh,

Keep your head up.

Private tutoring can help, but the costs can add up and scheduling with your tutor can add to your inconvenience.

For managing your anxiety - make sure you visualize your success during practice and think extreme positivity: http://www.gmatpill.com/about/studying- ... trategies/

For RC, it may be a bit tricky at first - but the idea is to focus on transition words. Here is an example of what I mean: http://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html

Knowing transition words will help you better understand the structure of the passage and get a quick understanding of what the passage is about without necessarily reading every word.

Our course was created with the intention of mimicking a private tutor feel without having the hourly charges add up. But you should take a look at our sample videos on our homepage to see whether our visual approach matches your learning style.

Hope that helps.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Retaking GMAT   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2014, 10:00